Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

where to go for five days in March?

Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

Taller half is in grad school, so we're sort of stuck with the spring break crowd when planning vacations. We are attending a professional meeting in PHL in mid March and then booked a PHL-LHR-DCA flight
that gives us about 5 full days to goof around in Europe. Given the fine state of the dollar against the euro, we're trying to decide what to do. Everything is about 25%-35% more expensive than it used to be.

I have booked 3 nights of FFN with Hyatt at the Park Hyatt Milan, but maybe even with the hotel being relatively free, its still going to be pricey and Milan that time of year is sort of well, cold.

I was thinking going somewhere else -- we'll have just spent a week in Rome, so that is sort of out of the running. I have a GLON to redeem also and more hilton points to add to an award if need be.

Any ideas? Taller half likes big cities, puttering on water features (man made is good), doesn't mind driving in Europe, but isn't a big fan of Germany.

Just trying to get out of our usual London rut.

lala
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
How about Bologna? It's only a short ride away on the Eurostar train if you're not driving. The ambiance is quite a bit different from Milan, and IMHO it has the best food in all of Italy

Two nights would be just fine.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 7:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Any of the food towns over by Bologna would be a good choice, or a day here, then a day there, etc. Florence, and the rest of Tuscany is great that time of year, no lines to see anything, no crowds in the restaurants, some of the best food anywhere for not much money, etc.

Enjoy, get some food, some wine, see some sights.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:14 pm

Check out czzech airlines website. If you look for the special offers they have a 1 GBP fare RT from LHR to PRG. If those dates work, that could be a possibility. Also look at the low cost carriers. I am flying into LON on a semi mileage run over winter break. Decided to take ryan air for free plus tax to salzburg, through the alps into munich. This is in 6 days total time.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
Taller half is in grad school, so we're sort of stuck with the spring break crowd when planning vacations. We are attending a professional meeting in PHL in mid March and then booked a PHL-LHR-DCA flight
that gives us about 5 full days to goof around in Europe. Given the fine state of the dollar against the euro, we're trying to decide what to do. Everything is about 25%-35% more expensive than it used to be.

I have booked 3 nights of FFN with Hyatt at the Park Hyatt Milan, but maybe even with the hotel being relatively free, its still going to be pricey and Milan that time of year is sort of well, cold.

I was thinking going somewhere else -- we'll have just spent a week in Rome, so that is sort of out of the running. I have a GLON to redeem also and more hilton points to add to an award if need be.

Any ideas? Taller half likes big cities, puttering on water features (man made is good), doesn't mind driving in Europe, but isn't a big fan of Germany.

Just trying to get out of our usual London rut.

lala
</font>
This board is amazing! I am having the exact same "problem" trying to figure out what I will be doing for my five days in Milan in March. I have two free days at the end of my 3 free nights at the PH and am leaning towards Venice. I too will be with the SO and I sound a lot like your husband-big cities, driving is fine, etc.

I get into Milan on the 20th of March if you will be there. Interested in knowing what you two decide on, as any good deal or interesting side trip can pull me away from Venice.

As a side note if you haven't been through Italy it is a country full of amazing places, maybe the most complete country in terms of tourist sites. I have never been to Venice but I have been through the Italian Riviera and through Pisa, Florence, Rome and points between and can recommend any of those places to you. Two days makes it quick, and certainly not long enough for any combination of cities but if you endure the ride to Rome it is sure not to dissapoint. Florence is my second recommendation, and is a couple hours closer, but lacks the famous sites (although it has plenty) that Rome offers.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:27 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
How about Barcelona? It meets the water and city criteria and it's still a relative bargain. If you go, be sure and do a day trip to Monsserrat.

I just returned and, as I mentioned on that thread on LON being so expensive these days, I found I could buy things from the same stores you find in central London for two-thirds the price in Barcelona (identical items that were $150 in London were $100 in Barcelona). Our most expensive, very elegant, four-course meals with wine were about $60 for two. And the Gaudi buildings are such fun. Temps should be in the low- to mid-60s.

BA has inexpensive, frequent flights from LHR to BCN.

If you decide on that, let me know and I'll give you a hotel you might consider.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited Dec 19, 2003).]
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:34 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Milan, by the way, was the SAS city of advent yesterday, from the east coast round trip for $279 plus taxes. If it's like last year, on the last day of advent all the cities will be on sale again, and that's a great deal to Milan.

Old Dec 19, 2003, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Dublin is very fun, but I don't know if you will want to go that far.
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Ah, you guys are great.

Here were the places we are/were considering--
1. Prague/Warsaw (have friends in Warsaw that have a pied a terre we can stay in)

2. Milan/Mantova -- using FFN and other
means

3. Sorrento -- Taller half has never been to the beginnings of Southern Italy -- should be able to use my GLON at the Hilton saving my cash for gelato

4. Istanbul -- she refuses to stay in a US hotel in Turkey, we have friends there, so we will be well taken care of and its still a good inexpensive place

5. Scotland --- brr

Barcelona would be fun too, she loved Madrid.

we're thinking and watching the euro too.

lala
Old Dec 19, 2003, 2:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
Here were the places we are/were considering--1. Prague/Warsaw (have friends in Warsaw that have a pied a terre we can stay in)
</font>
Never been to Warsaw, but option #1 sounds great.

Not sure what Prague is like in March (was going to say "Prague spring," but that has other significance...), but I say go before they switch to the Euro!

With the US$ making a strong sucking sound, I'm thinking East for almost all of my future Europe travel- Estonia, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Croatia and i(n the "Eurozone") Vienna and Berlin.

Speaking of Vienna, have you considered Vienna? It's a great long weekend city, IMHO. Too bad your points are HH rather than SPG, bucause the Hotel Imperial is one of my favorite hotels, ever (although I believe there are nice HH properties, too).

I know some people say Vienna's boring/subdued, but you like Brussels, right?

Old Dec 19, 2003, 4:06 pm

1. Southern Italy
2. Greece
3. Barcelona
Mmmmmm....the Mediterranean....warm...mmmmmm
Old Dec 19, 2003, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Prague will be very cold in March, but it is a terrific place to visit. Prices are reasonable to cheap and much to see and do. I would highly recommend Prague, since it's on your list.
Old Dec 20, 2003, 7:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
If you park in Milan for awhile, take the train to Lugano, Switzerland (about an hour). My husband and I did that and spent the night at the Hotel International- right on the lake. It was absolutely beautiful. Lots of great mountain scenery from the train, too.

We have a Web site at http://www.craftpeople.com (non-commercial, no pop-ups) with pictures from the trips to Milan and Lugano (and other places).

[This message has been edited by Athena53 (edited Dec 20, 2003).]
Old Dec 20, 2003, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Lala,
we LOVED Turkey! Istanbul is a fascinating city, and you all could spend many more than the planned 5 days exploring it.
Hope you two have a great break!
Kate
Old Dec 21, 2003, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
1. Prague/Warsaw (have friends in Warsaw that have a pied a terre we can stay in)
</font>
I recomend Warsaw but not in March. It makes Scotland look warm in March! It was snowing and the wind chill was really quite bad the last time I went there in March.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.