Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the strangest thing you've expensed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the strangest thing you've expensed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
What basically amounted to a bribe while in Manila to extend the visa. Paid to the courier, as he tacked it on to the actual fee.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:08 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
One Xbox given to a middle manager to try and get more consulting work.

Once expensed the rental of some folding tables for a new data center (so we could configure some routers). The bill for the rental was easily triple the amount if we had just bought a couple of tables from Home Depot.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Surely not necessarily strange as I’m sure others have done the same, but for me at the time, it was…
At a conference in New Orleans. LOTS of our customers there. Each night, I’d take a different customer out to dinner and shoot the ****. Well, this one customer, Dave, was always this straight laced guy. Typical corporate. ‘Bout 50 yrs. old, never saw him in anything other than a suit and tie, milque toast personality, blah, blah, blah. Nonetheless, I always did enjoy seeing him. So, we had some dinner and he started getting reasonably buzzed on wine.

More wine…

More wine…

Finally, he mentions strip bars. I crack a wry smile and next thing you know, we’re off. $500 later in a strip bar, my customer is happy. I don’t remember too much from that night, but I do remember telling the girl, “Make sure he ***’s”

Really surprised I did not get my ... held to the fire for that one. To this day, not sure why I didn’t.

Last edited by PSUhorty; Jan 20, 2010 at 8:49 pm
Old Jan 20, 2010, 8:59 pm

25,000 packets of WET Platinum silicone based personal lubricant.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:25 am

An Elvis impersonator booze cruise. He wasn't the real Elvis, but he was pretty good.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Surely not necessarily strange as Im sure others have done the same, but for me at the time, it was
At a conference in New Orleans. LOTS of our customers there. Each night, Id take a different customer out to dinner and shoot the ****. Well, this one customer, Dave, was always this straight laced guy. Typical corporate. Bout 50 yrs. old, never saw him in anything other than a suit and tie, milque toast personality, blah, blah, blah. Nonetheless, I always did enjoy seeing him. So, we had some dinner and he started getting reasonably buzzed on wine.

More wine

More wine

Finally, he mentions strip bars. I crack a wry smile and next thing you know, were off. $500 later in a strip bar, my customer is happy. I dont remember too much from that night, but I do remember telling the girl, Make sure he ***s

Really surprised I did not get my ... held to the fire for that one. To this day, not sure why I didnt.
If you got the deal the boss probably considered it money well spent.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:10 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
OP here...glad to see this thread has been revived

Nothing since post #123 for me, but they have cracked down big time at my company - everything is being scrutinized.

Keep 'em coming though! ^
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I just submitted my first moving expense report form. Part of it is just over $2,000 to break the lease at my current apartment.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CMK10
I just submitted my first moving expense report form. Part of it is just over $2,000 to break the lease at my current apartment.
We solved this by giving people a flat moving allowance instead of reimbursement. Free to use on anything including fees to break a lease, move belongings, stat at the Ritz on multiple trips to house hunt, whatever as long as they could produce receipts up to the total of their allowance. Anything over is on their own dime.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, Hertz 5*, WN CP A-List, US SP
Originally Posted by WChou
Must be an interesting line of work you are in
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:10 pm

Seeing as I don't have a job, I travel for leisure, and I am just a student, the closest think I have is one of my fathers credit cards which I am to use in case of emergency, so I consider the closest thing I have to a company card.

The strangest thing that has gone on that card was a 0.18USD charge for gasoline at a petrol station in Detroit.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Originally Posted by SirJman
Seeing as I don't have a job, I travel for leisure, and I am just a student, the closest think I have is one of my fathers credit cards which I am to use in case of emergency, so I consider the closest thing I have to a company card.

The strangest thing that has gone on that card was a 0.18USD charge for gasoline at a petrol station in Detroit.
Haha...brings back memories for me!

When i was a student in Geneva, I took my mates out to celebrate my 18th birthday. Lets just say my dad was not too pleased when a charge for Sfr.3000 from the Pussycat Saloon showed up on his statement!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 5:18 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by WChou
You too?
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:52 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Baseball cards.

I'm assuming a new account and when meeting the client I noticed he had a framed uncut sheet of Topps 1991 Stadium Club cards. When I asked him about it he said he was a collector and was trying to complete a set of 2008 Yankee Stadium Legacy cards. I bought a few for him on Ebay and I'm bringing them by the next time I see him.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by PSUhorty
Surely not necessarily strange as I’m sure others have done the same, but for me at the time, it was…
At a conference in New Orleans. LOTS of our customers there. Each night, I’d take a different customer out to dinner and shoot the ****. Well, this one customer, Dave, was always this straight laced guy. Typical corporate. ‘Bout 50 yrs. old, never saw him in anything other than a suit and tie, milque toast personality, blah, blah, blah. Nonetheless, I always did enjoy seeing him. So, we had some dinner and he started getting reasonably buzzed on wine.

More wine…

More wine…

Finally, he mentions strip bars. I crack a wry smile and next thing you know, we’re off. $500 later in a strip bar, my customer is happy. I don’t remember too much from that night, but I do remember telling the girl, “Make sure he ***’s”

Really surprised I did not get my ... held to the fire for that one. To this day, not sure why I didn’t.

Haha, that's kinda funny. Glad you guys enjoyed yourself all expensed

Last edited by helenkan; Aug 4, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.