Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask me a hotel question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:54 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by letiole:
You know g_leyser this has been so great and popular that you should have your own forum.

I have another question. Twice you've (jokingly?) made remarks about slipping the front desk clerk some cash when asking about an upgrade. I've heard people say they actually do this, but it's always seemed slimy to me and like something the front desk clerk would get fired for if they were taking cash personally in exchange for upgrades (afterall, wouldn't this be like lost revenue for the hotel when instead of charging the rate for the better room the front desk clerk pockets the cash). I'm sure guests do try to offer up bribes, but does it work? Is it an accepted practice?

Also good to see your comments on which guests are valuable to hotels. There's an attitude among some that business travelers subsidize everyone else's travel. Good to know that there are some cases where it's the leisure travelers who are likely bringing in more of the cash with all the additional charges for spa services, meals, activities, etc.
</font>
Hello again letiole-
As far as bribes go, or "special gifts" as I like to call them, this is one of those unwritten rules of the front desk. Yes it does happen regularly. Yes it most certainly is an effective way to get an upgrade. Yes it is slimy to a certain extent, but it doesn't have to be, there is a right and wrong way to go about it: Don't just throw a twenty down on the desk and say "how 'bout an upgrade". Rather try, "are there any upgrades available tonight" and then add something like "if you can help me out, I would certainly take care of you." Most hotel front desks have cameras on them, so if you wait to give "gifts" wait until after you've gotten you're room key, then you're tipping and not bribing.

A couple of disclaimers:
1) This has a lower probability of working the more nights you are staying.
2) Beware of trying this in other countries where it might be deemed offensive.
3) Don't be pushy. If the answer is "no", then the answer is "no."

Hope that helps. Thanks for the kind words.

[This message has been edited by g_leyser (edited 09-20-2002).]
Old Aug 15, 2002, 11:58 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyP:
Hotels do not list any rooms during the many days of the year when they expect to fill up, or nearly so. My informant said that the slowest days are after Christmas, and into the first couple of months of each new year. He said that this month (August) they wouldn't list ANY rooms via Priceline at all. </font>
Great find JohnnyP! Very interesting!

Old Aug 15, 2002, 12:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by g_leyser:
As far as bribes go, or "special gifts" as I like to call them, this is one of those unwritten rules of the front desk. ...there is a right and wrong way to go about it.</font>
FWIW, on occasion I've asked if a "nicer room" might be available while handing over my credit card at check-in with President Jackson discretely folded underneath. Hasn't failed yet.

I've learned a lot on this thread, thank you for sharing.

Old Aug 15, 2002, 1:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Calliegirl:
...do hotels mind is I use their hospitality refrigerator for cooling something of mine (ie. my own bottled water, coke, candy bar,etc)? Thanks.

</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by g_leyser:
...Go for it, as long as you put everything back that you took out, you can use it and no one in the hotel will care.

</font>
BEWARE that some hotels now use a sensor inside the mini-bar fridge that (somehow) detects that you are removing something and charges you IMMEDIATELY for that item. I stayed at the Hilton at the Zurich airport and had a Coke form the minibar. Checked my account via the TV set a few minutes later and had already been charged for the Coke.

However, this fridge had an empty shelf reserved for guests to chill their own drinks...

P D Henry
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Thanks g_leyser for the answer.. I agree, the dollar value is completely immaterial.. If they would have just disclosed this somewhere I would have mumbled something under my breath and just ate it as a cost of doing business in PR.. however between their non disclosure and attitude I decided to spend the five to ten minutes and fill out the online FTC and the online BBB complaint forms. i'll fire off a quick letter to the Wyndham Sr. VP of Resort Ops in Dallas as well. Heck, the mgr at the hotel gave me his name and number so I called him and the admin ...'t gave me his address. I'll also give him the complaint ref #'s to the FTC and BBB as well.. and finally when the Credit card billings from PL and the hotel post, I'll challenge those charges too in hopes that I can force the hotel and PL to answer me or eat the costs.

BTW, as far as PL goes, I did a thorough analysis of the fine print and only see references to taxes. Of course it says incidentals are not included however to me an incidental is a cost that is determined by my choice as to whether I want that service and/or product and bill it to my room. This was a cost that I did not have any choice in the matter, nor did I know it was coming.

I'm not looking to get anything from Wyndham, or the hotel (as I won't go back there again, hence I won't use PL in PR either). I tried calling PL and couldn't get past the automated system.

I do agree, you are doing FT a wonderful service here and support you having your own thread.. I wish someone in the FT management would take notice and provide you with a forum of some sort. They might have to verify your credentials but from what I read, you are a great resource to all of us

thanks for your help
Old Aug 15, 2002, 4:38 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
BEWARE that some hotels now use a sensor inside the mini-bar fridge that (somehow) detects that you are removing something and charges you IMMEDIATELY for that item. I stayed at the Hilton at the Zurich airport and had a Coke form the minibar. Checked my account via the TV set a few minutes later and had already been charged for the Coke.

However, this fridge had an empty shelf reserved for guests to chill their own drinks...

P D Henry
</font>
I stayed at a DoubleTree in Boston that had one of these too, but this one had *no* room for anything in it. Drove me nuts that there was a fridge there but couldn't do anything to keep my own stuff cold.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 5:33 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

It doesn't surprise me that hotels are starting to install these sensored minibar fridges. "Theft" of minibar items are rampant. Not just by guests, but staff will often take them as well from rooms that are checking out so the guest then gets charged. For some reason people are especially dishonest when it comes to minibars. I remember several occasions where guests came to check out with minibar items IN THEIR HANDS and I would ask if they have any minibar items they would like to add to the bill, and they would say "no". I wanted to say "but you are drinking it right in front of me you liar!!!" These are the same people who have the hotel towels peaking out of their suitcase
Old Aug 15, 2002, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great thread - thanks for sharing.

I was wondering if you can run through the chain of command and their respective titles, beginning with the front desk.

For instance, if I had a check-in or general issue (not specific to housekeeping or something like that) at the front desk, who is above the front desk agents, and who's above that person and who's above that person?

Thanks

d
Old Aug 15, 2002, 7:59 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
My friends and I all second the idea that this topic is so great, it could have its own forum! A number of people have joined the FT community after being told about this thread and then discovering the neat stuff here! I know I make it a point to check in and read the latest questions and your responses! Haven't been disappointed yet!
Thanks
kelly786
Old Aug 15, 2002, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Quote:"My friends and I all second the idea that this topic is so great, it could have its own forum! A number of people have joined the FT community after being told about this thread and then discovering the neat stuff here! I know I make it a point to check in and read the latest questions and your responses! Haven't been disappointed yet!
Thanks"

Hopefully, you will follow my lead and e-mail Randy. I did e-mail him about a week ago re: this thread; as yet, no response. --Sincerely hope that Randy is looking at this thread --How about proposing G_Leyser for his own "Freddie."
Old Aug 16, 2002, 1:55 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
Great thread - thanks for sharing.

I was wondering if you can run through the chain of command and their respective titles, beginning with the front desk.

For instance, if I had a check-in or general issue (not specific to housekeeping or something like that) at the front desk, who is above the front desk agents, and who's above that person and who's above that person?

Thanks

d
</font>
Another good question. Keep in mind that the front desk is part of the Front Office Department which includes Reservations. The hierarchy goes something like this: (from lowest to highest).
1) Front Desk Agent: the person who most likely checks you in.

2) Front Desk Supervisor: this person is "head of the Front Desk Agents". Very few differences from the agent, but has a few extra responsibilities.

3) Assistant Front Desk Manager: There will be at least one of these during every shift. If there is a problem this will most likely be the person you deal with. (Unless it is a BIG problem).

4) Front Desk Manager: More of a 9 to 5 job, but usually there on the weekends as well. This person has very little customer contact relative to the first three, but will deal with big shot guests and MAJOR problem guests. This person will have the final say on employee reviews, and will make decisions on hiring and firing.

5) Front Office Manager: In charge of front desk AND reservations AND guest services (doormen, bellhops, etc.). This person has almost no customer contact, but any decision the Front Desk Manager makes must be cleared through this person.

6) Rooms Division Manager: You will never see this person.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
What is a Rooms Division Mgr? what does he/she do?

Where does GM sit in this org chart?

What about Regional Mgrs?

and up the corp chain or if franchised, does the org chart differ?

Just curious, did you work in a franchise or Corp hotel? reason I ask is that I was wondering if one treats guests better on avg?

thanks, great job
Old Aug 16, 2002, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Seeing as how there is a possible hotel strike looming in Chicago, it occurred to me to ask: Did any of the hotels you worked for have serious labor troubles (strikes, sickouts, or whatever), and if so, how did the hotel manage to operate when such things occurred?

Kathy

Old Aug 16, 2002, 9:42 am

--Speaking of Chicago--how would you , if a manager in the midwest (or elsewhere), handle severe weather-related problems: e.g. airport closed, would any concessions be made for the guest who was unable to leave the city. I should think that weather-related issues would present a host of problems.
(deliveries not made, employees not coming to work, etc.) Is this a manager's nightmare?
Old Aug 16, 2002, 8:02 pm

--Are there any Hotel Review Sites which YOU would recommend?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.