Wiki Posts
Search

Laptops advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2001, 2:03 am
Company Representative - Air Canada
Original Poster

Laptops advice

Probably the best to ask for advice here as most people here probably carry a laptop around.

I am currently looking to get a new laptop as prices here in HKG are unbelievable compared to Canada.

I am choosing between a Sony Vaio and IBM ThinkPad T series.

The Sony Vaio is a PIII 850 Mhz, 12" TFT, CDRW/DVD on the docking station, 3.5 lbs (It's very light, probably half the weight of the Compaq that I am carrying around now). Price is $23000 HKD (4500 CAD). The same thing goes for $6500 CAD in Canada with taxes.

The IBM that I am looking at is a PIII 900, 14" TFT, DVD, 5 lbs. Price is $25000 HKD (5000 CAD). The same goes for almost $6500 in Canada with taxes.

Dell are going for really cheap over here as well, 1 Ghz laptop is going for $17000 HKD ($3500 CAD) but I don't think I want to be carrying it around as it's close to 10 lbs!

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations.
Old Jun 16, 2001, 5:55 am

Programs: BA gold UA MM
All I can say is that I love my VAIO and 4 of my friends have subsequently bought one after "playing" with mine
Old Jun 16, 2001, 6:58 am

Hi Empress,

I faced the same problem not too long ago and settled for a Dell Latitude. Check out:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/001785.html

Maple
PS. Thanks for all the hard work re "The List" - greatly appreciated
Old Jun 16, 2001, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I am carrying around the smallest Dell. Its about 3.5 lbs, but doesn't have CD or DVD, and I never travel with them--I only use them in the office with my mini-dock. It has a really nice bright screen. At first I was a snob and didn't want to trade my small toshiba for this computer, but the Dell is a better machine...largely because of the better screen.
Old Jun 16, 2001, 8:58 am

Programs: Many
I have an IBM T21 with a 14" screen and a DVD. The image quality is excellent. A little heavier than I would prefer at about 5lb, but ok. The other unit I use is a Sony VAIO Picturebook, a small subnotebook. Well under 2lb I think.

I think most laptops one buys now are dual voltage, however make sure they give you a US shaped plug power cord.
Old Jun 16, 2001, 10:06 am
RAD

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
Some points to consider:
  • Research the durability/reliability of the Vaio, especially the Picturebook. I work with a company that standardized on them for executives, and ther repair rate has been frightful. They are beautiful and light, but structural compromises were made to make them that way.
  • Do you need to interchange data with others (clients, co-workers) while on-site? Then don't forego a floppy drive or CD burner. Internal drives are better; external drives are a hassle to pack and keep track of, IMHO.
  • Buying in HKG carries one or two risks: Warranty coverage and repair service. Most electronics you buy there come with warranties that do NOT apply outside HK. Sometimes they give you a form to send to the manfacturer to "register" the warranty for your home country, but I've have spotty results from this. A form for a pocket TV was total BS, but the form that registered my JVC MiniDisc player was officially recognized by JVC. There was another thread on FT some months ago about someone trying to get manufacturer service on a portable CD player purchased in Portugal(?) in a UK shop, and it turned into like a three-month nightmare. And he still doesn't have his CD player back.
  • Be sure to ask for a North American power cord. I've been told several times by HK merchants that I can get one, but they are not allowed to offer one.

I'm not saying don't buy a laptop in HKG, but remember there are multiple reasons for the much lower prices.

RAD

(edited for the usual spelling and grammatical errors)

[This message has been edited by RAD (edited 06-16-2001).]
Old Jun 16, 2001, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!

I made the decision and brought a IBM T22 900Mhz with a 14" and DVD for $22000 HKG ($4000 CAD which is $1200 CAD cheaper than buying it in Canada). I asked for a US/Canada power cord and they gladly gave one to me and also let me keep the 240V one. They have 3 years worldwide warranty by IBM and 7 days warranty by the store itself which mean I could bring it back for a new one right away if anything happens to it within the 7 days but I am returning to Canada in 4 days so hopefully nothing will happen. I really recommend this store if you need to buy another computer stuff as their price are very competitive and service is great.

I was really impressed by the new Sony Vaio that they have (R505TS) but the screen is too small (12") for me and I've also heard that Sony technical support is horrible. I liked the docking station with the DVD/CDR combo idea though.

Dell has the best deal but the delivery time really turned me off. If I paid that much money for something I expect to have it with couple days at most not couple weeks.

So hopefully this laptop will last me a while!
Old Jun 16, 2001, 1:09 pm

Did the store give/include any free software, choice of carrying case &/or digital camera?
Old Jun 16, 2001, 1:13 pm

Do the IBMs still have that little eraser head-like pointing device?

How much duty are you going to have to pay on it when you go back?

Are there any refundable taxes on the HKG side? Did you have to pay them up front and get them reimbursed later?

Finally, where did you buy it in HKG?

-David

Old Jun 16, 2001, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Empress, if you have time please contact me
via e-mail with name of store, location and
sales person. I am flying into HKG at the
beginning of July 2001 and have been waiting
for just such a topic as you posted to buy a
new laptop. Also interested in the facts
from posts above. Thanks
Old Jun 16, 2001, 10:42 pm
DH

X20 Intel Celeron 500 Notebook PC is on sale for $899 http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/i...ebooks-ndx.asp

Additionally IBM X20 Intel Pentium III 600 Notebook PC with 320MB of RAM, 8X DVD drive, 20GB hard drive, Media Slice docking bay with X20 ports, 12.1-Inch TFT is $1,999.

For double dipping http://www.valueconsumer.com/Results...igerDirect.com

A happy IBM Thinkpad owner.

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Jun 16, 2001, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

testa: They had a free Targus carrying case that comes with it.

LIH Prem: Yes, there's still that little eraser head thing on the laptop. The duties that I will pay is Canada is 14% I believe (GST + PST), even after that it will still be cheaper than buying in Canada. There are no taxes for things that you buy in HKG, whatever the price is listed, you pay that amount.

The place that I brought it is call "Notebook Collection" and the location is Shop No. D2B-C, 2/F., Star Computer City, Star House, 3 Salisbury Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong. Phone: 27357770
Old Jun 17, 2001, 1:01 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Empress:

Dell has the best deal but the delivery time really turned me off. If I paid that much money for something I expect to have it with couple days at most not couple weeks.</font>
FWIW, I've purchased several Dell desktops and notebooks, and found that their typical delivery time is less than half that which they quote. I am presently typing this from my Dell Inspiron in Bangkok, which has traveled around the world (or the equivalent) about 20 times with only a few cosmetic blemishes and minor housing cracks to show for all the wear and tear.

As far as Hong Kong electronics go, be careful. There are some legitimate outlets and bargains, but it takes work, research and experience to find them. For example, I decided to get a Nokia 8890 phone last year. I went back and forth between a dozen shops until I was able to find one with all authentic accessories (e.g. batteries, cases, headphones) that was not grey-market. And even at that, I had to bargain hard, and make them go into the back room to bring out the real accessories they removed from the box.

The warranty problem in Hong Kong is a real one. There is a lot of grey market stuff floating around, especially in the TST district. For example, at least 3 out of 4 Rolex dealers have no problem making up a Rolex to the customer's specs: case, dial, band. All authentic parts. Except the watch is produced by an unauthorized dealer and will not be covered by a Rolex warranty or be serviced by Rolex authorized service centers, despite whatever paperwork and assurances are provided by the shopkeeper. Caveat emptor.

Old Jun 17, 2001, 3:17 am

personally I wouldnt buy a laptop overseas when the INTERNET allows much better deals! There are many "deals" forums just like this one...try Fatwallet.com

There are a number of posts for HP and IBM laptops for US$749, and from reputable US dealers....
Old Jun 17, 2001, 8:47 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I used to carry around a Sony Vaio PCG505TR laptop. It was something like a P2/300MHZ with about 32mb of ram, and in the 3 pound range. One very nice thing about it was the battery charger...which wrapped around the adapter to store nicely. However, service on the units would take 7+ days, and you would have to send it back to Sony. I found the small keyboard on the unit difficult for extensive typing. Note this model is a couple years old, so I don't know if the new ultra-slim Vaio has a better keyboard.

Next I got a Dell Latitude LS. This model also is discontinued now. It was a P3/450MHZ w/128mb of ram. It had both an internal modem and ethernet card, and a pretty nice keyboard for an ultraslim laptop. It was slightly larger, ever so slightly, than the Sony but more durable.

Just 2 days ago, I got a Dell Latitude L400 (replacement to LS). It is essentially like the LS, but has a different color and type of logo. It is a P3/700MHZ with Intel speed step, 256mb of ram, and 20gb hard drive. It uses all the same parts as the LS. All drives are external, and I am not crazy about the drive cable, etc...but that is a small complaint. Also the charger does not have a way of folding into itself like the Vaio. It has 1 pcmcia slot, ethernet/modem, video output, 1 ps/2 socket, 1 usb port, and one port for the drive cable. Also a port on the bottom for the docking station. It has a DVD/cd-RW combo drive as well. The drive cable port is a bit awckward, but I usually do not need drives when traveling. Battery life on the LS/L400 is pretty good as well, 2 hours plus. Our company was standardized on the Sony Vaio because one of the executives liked it, but now 95% of people are getting Dell L400's, and a few Dell C600 and C800. We are a 100% Dell shop re desktop/servers. The C600 has an integrated drive bay, but weights more like 5 pounds. The C800 is a lot heavier, but has two drive bays. Also LS/L400 do not have serial ports, but you can easily buy a USB/serial converter. The integrated modem and ethernet jacks are nice, I love hotles that have high speed access. In literally an hour or so, I am going to play around with the Spring PCS Wirless aircard modem. It is a PC card device that lets you connect to the internet without running a cable to your cell phone. Hope it will be good for downloading mail at the gate, etc. It uses software from
www.bluekite.com
to optimize the connection. They "
claim" that is has the feel of a 56k connection, even though it really connects at like 19.2. I will do a report on it in a bit once I play with it. Am also looking into getting a WIFI 802.11? pc card and possibly setting up a wireless network.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.