Wiki Posts
Search

most cost effective transatlantic B/C

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2001, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

most cost effective transatlantic B/C

My wife and I make about 4 IAD-Europe flights a year.

We have always flown economy. However, the combination of increasing age,girth,and income, and decreasing seat space and an increasing intolerance of my fellow economy class traveler have made business class viable and necessary.

The travel is tax deductable, as I own the company and the travel is for business.

One trip is to LON, and one to Italy every year. The other two are variable, but to somewhere in Europe.

I have read through most of the FF program forums back 100 days, and I could not find one that upgraded even gigamile travelers. Is there an airline I missed that does UG platinums at the gate, or the day before on full Y fare(transatlantic)?

Some programs seem to have system wide UG's, others count miles at a 2x or 3x actual under certain qualifying conditions. This buys B/C at Y or V class with UG or miles for one or two of the trips.

I could also buy B/C tickets at discount prices from Suburbantravel.com, or tiss.com, which seems show ticket prices in the $2500-3000 range.

There is also a 2 for 1 deal with AMEX which generates 2 tickets for $6-7000.

Can these costs be reduced by more than 10-20% if I sell my soul to the star alliance? Buy some B/C tickets, and use the miles and paper they generate to ug? Is someone better for me than *A? If I do *A should I do it with UA, or with LH, or some third airline.

Is the AA/BA or AF, or Delta alliance more feasable?

My wife and I are US citizens which changes certain qualifications.

I would appreciate your comments and advice on what approach to take, as there seem to be too many variables for me to sort.

regards

jer

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 04-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by slawecki (edited 04-29-2001).]
Old Apr 29, 2001, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
One option is to purchase B fare tickets on UA. They are less expensive than Y fares, yet qualify for upgrades at 10k miles each way - half the miles than is needed for less expensive coach fares.

You would earn back at least 7500 miles of the 20k miles per trip-- more if you have elite status and get bonus miles.

Larry
Old Apr 29, 2001, 7:38 pm

the cheapest one that seems to be there time and time out is toronto to either rome or milan. this routinely prices at $1800US on ac, az, nw, kl, and sometimes af.
Old Apr 29, 2001, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
No programs will automatically UG int'l travelers based on status.

However, if you have a good travel agent, they can normally work with airlines to get you complimentary upgrades from full Y to J. These also have the advantage of being confirmed in advance.

If you have an especially good relationship with a CTO worker, they can often do this for you too.

But bear in mind that travel agents and CTO workers get limited numbers of the upgrades, so they only use them for their best customers.
Old Apr 30, 2001, 9:14 am
Original Member

Ionman is correct--go through Canada to get to Italy. Incredibly cheap for no particular reason, but no stopovers on that fare (remember, though, 23 hrs 59 minutes doesn't count as a stopover). UK is a little tougher to get cheap--try via SAS or Icelandair or Aer Lingus (flies from BWI), or backtrack from Italy, or a RTW (2-airlines are only $3600 US in biz).
Old Apr 30, 2001, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, US, SPG, MR, HH
Check this site: www.1stair.net

I haven't used them myself, but I bookmarked 'em just in case. They specialize in discounted premium-class travel -- they seem to operate like a consolidator, except that other comsolidators handles economy class only.

From what I can tell, their strategy can mean that they offer seats on whatever airline doesn't get the high-fare passengers on a route -- for example, Korean Air to Asia, but not Cathay Pacific or JAL. Similarly, you may see quotes from more of the non-USA alliance airlines, as opposed to the North American airline members.

At any rate, there's no cost to checking them out when you plan a trip.
Old Apr 30, 2001, 5:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Hi slawecki

Initially buy a one way ticket to Europe from your discounters or fly Citybird to Brussels Then buy your tickets either from Italy, Spain or Holland Check prices and currency fluctuations. I aleays originate in Rome and have never paid more than $ 2500 for a business class return. BA's web site is excellent for scouting for fares
Old Apr 30, 2001, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Don't forget round-the-world tickets as an option, maybe for one of your four trips each year. If you can get to a cheap city (from what I understand, often Asian) the first time, you can probably pick up Business class RTWs for only a little more than a full coach IAD-LHR.
Old May 5, 2001, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"Don't forget round-the-world tickets as an option, maybe for one of your four trips each year. If you can get to a cheap city (from what I understand, often Asian) the first time, you can probably pick up Business class RTWs for only a little more than a full coach IAD-LHR."

Could you recommend a city, and a place to purchase the tickets, or a place to start looking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.