Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Rituals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2001, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Hotel Rituals

Every time I check into a Hotel, I have the same routine. First, I unpack completely, even if only staying for one night and leaving early the next morning. I colour arrange my shirts, slacks and ties. Organize my work area perfectly. I also lay out all of my toiletries on a towel in the bathroom perfectly. I go to great lengths to ensure the blinds close completely so no light is allowed into the room. This usually involves moving furniture and pinning the blinds closed with it. I use a towel to place along the bottom of the door so light will not enter the room from the hall. I cover the alarm clock to block out that light. And I use every single towel in the bathroom every day, place them in the bath tub so they are replaced. The morning I leave, I refold everything in my bag. This strikes me as very odd because I turn into a total hotel neat freak and dark monger. At home, my things are unorganized and my room leaks light from 5-6 different sources.

Am I alone? Does anyone else have a alter hotel ego? Is there a support group for people like me or 800 number I can call?
Old Feb 7, 2001, 2:40 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 12, 2007 at 4:09 am
Old Feb 7, 2001, 9:45 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
V.I., how long does that typically take you?

I normally leave all my clothes in the bag and take them out as needed. The only thing I take out and hang as soon as I arrive are suits if I carry them.

I put all my dirty clothes into the laundry bags that the hotel provides and put them back into my suitcase when I leave.

Since I may only be in each hotel one or two days, I find unpacking everything takes too long.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I only unpack everything on a cruise ship! I do use a safety pin to pin the drapes closed and put a towel over the clock radio so the light does not keep me awake.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:02 am

I never unpack! It stays in my suitcase or on the floor!

I usually walk in, look around the room, go to the window. I always check under the bed (if its clean, they have good housekeeping. If its bad, i complain) I check out the bathroom, see what freebies they give me!
Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:06 am

I open the door, turn on the light, and prop the door open with my bags while I check to make sure there isn't an unexpected "guest" waiting for me inside. (Hasn't happened, but a friend wasn't so lucky --- fortunately it only cost her purse - it could have been much, much worse).

After closing the door, I check to make sure the heat/AC work to my satisfaction so I can return to the front desk without re-packing. Ditto for other room amenities (lights, phone, and especially SHOWER - I once found out the morning after check-in that the water came out of the showerhead in a trickle and there was no plug to take a bath!)

I then check out the telephone access issue - where will I be hooking up my laptop to the phone line?

As for the unpacking, if I am in a hotel for more than 1 night, all the clean clothes come out and get put away. Dirty clothes are folded and packed. That way my final night involves packing 1 day's clothes.

I usually sleep with the drapes open - ambient light doesn't bother me. And noise isn't a big issue for me either (I once fell asleep at a local nightclub while a friend's speed-metal band was playing).

If I have to leave without taking my laptop with me, I always make sure the TV is on (ESPN, CNN), and while closing the door feign a conversation with a non-existant male roommate. "Mike, turn to the game on ESPN - I'll be back in a minute."

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:08 am

A little off topic but when I saw the name I couldn't resist.

"Silence Village Idiot..."

Who can name the movie?
Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:10 am
Community Director Emerita

My routine is to enter the room and IMMEDIATELY sweep away all the paper, ashtrays (if I'm not in non-smoking room), and whatever advertising dreck the hotel management has seen fit to cover every surface with. My pet peeve is when the hotel maids feel obliged to replace everything every day when they clean.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:19 am

Originally posted by Village Idiot:
Every time I check into a Hotel, I have the same routine. First, I unpack completely, even if only staying for one night and leaving early the next morning. I colour arrange my shirts, slacks and ties. Organize my work area perfectly. I also lay out all of my toiletries on a towel in the bathroom perfectly. I go to great lengths to ensure the blinds close completely so no light is allowed into the room. This usually involves moving furniture and pinning the blinds closed with it. I use a towel to place along the bottom of the door so light will not enter the room from the hall. I cover the alarm clock to block out that light. And I use every single towel in the bathroom every day, place them in the bath tub so they are replaced. The morning I leave, I refold everything in my bag. This strikes me as very odd because I turn into a total hotel neat freak and dark monger. At home, my things are unorganized and my room leaks light from 5-6 different sources.

Am I alone? Does anyone else have a alter hotel ego? Is there a support group for people like me or 800 number I can call?
No support group needed.. A man's gotta have his standards!

Old Feb 7, 2001, 11:49 am

Those clips you use to keep bags of chips fresh can also be used to clip together the window shades.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 12:19 pm

Programs: Skymiles GOLD, Frq +, Klm GOLD, Miles & More, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards, MilleMerci (Avis FR)
Last year, I tried not to unpack my luggage (only one - I spend approx 90 nights outside per year, plus some others for vacations), but I discovered that each morning, before leaving, anyway, I had to unpack.
So, now, all go outside of the luggage in the minute I am in my 'new' room.

I use to put the key on the floor just in front of the door, as soon as i am inside the room. And I add similarly all the things I need not to forget.

I try alo to put in th lugage all the things that I used to loss in the hotels before, and it works pretty well too.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 1:32 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
DelrayChris: The Sixth Sense?
Old Feb 7, 2001, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: Vancouver - UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
hummm, can't get the movie, But, Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges... is from the 3 amigos. Something tells me that DelrayChris is a huge movie buff.

My routine takes 30mins or so, I think it just helps me ensure I have everything I came with. Must be a peice of mind thing. I travelled with my brother a few times last year. He is a total slob and it really took me out of my little happy place.

I like the idea of using clips or pins to close the drapes and the key infront of the door is also a good idea.

Oh, and SanDiego1k, I'm with you on the paper. Everything in the garbage or desk drawer. I hate it when the maid replaces it.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 4:37 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
I always have to look in the closet and shower to make sure their are no axe murders nearby. Then I have to turn on every single light in the room. Never unpack, you'll regret it if you oversleep and have to run for the airport. I do transfer my "shaving kit" to the bathroom counter. However, everything goes right back in after use. I use the hotel services book and a phone book to lean against the drapes to pin them against the wall to block light. Always turn on the AC and put the do not distrub sign out.
Old Feb 7, 2001, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
First thing is to look for ash trays while trying to detect oders on my way to the bed to turn down the sheets. I do not smoke and try not to sleep on unwashed sheets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.