Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska cruise comparison

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2001, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Alaska cruise comparison

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - Just wondering if there is a Website that compares cruises to Alaska. My dad is turning 80 this summer and we'd like to take him on an Alaska cruise. Any advice would be aapreciated. We live near Seattle, but can easily leave from Vancouver. thanks
Old Jan 30, 2001, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton, Hyatt
Try www.cruise.com

I am not sure how good it is, but it does have lots of cruise lines info. good luck.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
The best comparison I have seen is in Frommers Alaska travel guide. It describes the various cruise lines, their ships, and the different cruises they offer.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Some cruise lines now go out of San Francisco instead of Vancouver, although there are still quite a few that sail from Vancouver. You might also check which ones do this: some only go up as far as Seward and then bus the passengers the 2 hours to Anchorage, where they catch their flights home. Some lines go into Anchorage, which is much more pleasant that 2 hours on a bus.

I wasn't looking forward to our Alaska cruise, but once we were there I just loved it. Beautiful scenery, sun goes down late, whales in the ocean and bears and eagles on the shore...and don't forget a beer at the Red Dog Saloon.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited 01-31-2001).]
Old Jan 31, 2001, 12:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Here is my take on your question.

I traveled on Holland America and it was great.

If you cruise Glacier Bay there is a limit on how may larger ships per day. Small ships are allowed to go in "deeper" to see the calfing of the ice and Calfing? of the seals.

While the cruise costs are quite competitive...All tours are very expensive!! VERY. Helicopters, float planes and river rafting (modest, really drifting). The cruise-train packages are also great (brother did that one) and naturally adds plenty to the cost of the package. Decide what who can pay for what before picking a trip.

Those are my thoughts.

[This message has been edited by ranles (edited 01-31-2001).]
Old Jan 31, 2001, 1:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We did Alaska on Princess six years ago, it was fantastic. I'd recomment a northbound cruise rather then a southbound or a round trip one. If you have any specific questions please feel free to e-mail me, or you can post over at rec.travel.cruises, that's a fairly good newsgroup.

Mike

Old Jan 31, 2001, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As for taking a cruise ship directly to Anchorage, doesn't happen that much. Crystal Cruises with the Crystal Harmony was the only cruise that was doing this and I'm not sure they still are. Most of the cruise lines, Holland-America, Princess, CruiseWest, etc., drop passengers off at Seward to bus up to anchorage, or at Whittier to take the train up. Taking a cruise ship all the way up Cook Inlet and back out the same way doesn't make much sense to the cruise lines when they are pressed for time. The crystal harmony does begin and end its journey in san francisco and is supposed to be a high end trip. Cruise West uses small ships some of which have cabins others off load their passengers each night to stay in hotels. Some of their cruises are quite active with their boats carrying their own kayaks, etc.
HollandAmerica and Princess are pretty similar, both considered above average.
I guess Norwegian, Carnival, and P&O are similar.
Royal Caribbean doesn't have a very good reputation with Alaskans right now after pleading guilty last year to intentionally dumping waste oil, hazardous materials and chemicals in Alaska waters and falsifying records to keep from getting caught.
The Yorktown Clipper is supposed to be another more exclusive and intimate cruise experience.
jerry
Old Jan 31, 2001, 6:22 pm

Took Holland America a few years ago from Vancouver to Seward. No complaints, really, but I don't think I'd do it again until I'm another 20 years into my geezerhood. Best parts were relaxing in several comfortable bars and the surprising size/comfort of the cabin; most disappointing part was the mediocre food.

In Seward, we arranged (independently of Holland America) for a day cruise on Kenai Fjords tours; this was absolutely wonderful. We then took the Alaska Railroad to Anchorage, eschewing the Holland America buses, then rented a car to spend a few days in Denali Nat'l Park.

My advice would be to do as much research/planning as possible, and don't be afraid to make independent arrangements.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 7:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I just checked Crystal Cruises' website...their Alaska sailings this year leave from and return to San Francisco. 12 days.

One tip, bring your own binoculars. To rent them on the ship is very expensive.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 1:35 pm

I consider myself a cruise expert, so let me try to help you out, in addition to all the help given by FlyerTalkers:

1. Most cruises go out of Vancouver, either roundtrip or one-way to/from Seward. Only two lines will be sailing regularly out of San Francisco. These are Radisson, aboard the Seven Seas Mariner, and Crystal, aboard the Crystal Harmony. Both are very upscale superluxury cruise lines, with prices generally above $300 per person/per day. Some ships will be sailing out of Seattle. The new Norwegian Sky of Norwegian Cruise Lines will be doing that. Of the rest, they either sail Vancouver round-trip ("Inside Passage" cruises) or one-way between Vancouver and Seward ("Gulf of Alaska" cruises).

2. No ships navigate into Ancourage. This would add an entire day to the itinerary, due to the difficulty in doing so, and the bigger ships can't even do so.

3. You have to decide what type of cruise you want to do. There is a ship for every market. If you want ultraluxury, Crystal Cruises or Radisson Seven Seas are both excellent choices. For a subdued party atmosphere, Carnival will be sailing the new Carnival Spirit in Alaska. Note that the ship will not be the same party-FunShip atmosphere of Carnival in the Caribbean, due to the emphisis on sight-seeing and nature.

Princess and Celebrity Cruises are both good "upscale" lines. More premium than Carnival, but still mainstream, not ultraluxury like Radisson or Cystal. Celebrity's brand new Infinity will be in Alakska, as well as the Mercury. Four Princess sisters, the Ocean, Sea, Dawn, and Sun Princess, will be navigating Alaska waters. As will the slightly older Crown and Regal Princess. Also upscale with a much higher age group is Holland America. You'll be delighed aboard any of their Alaska ships: Ryndam, Veendam, Maasdam, Statendam, Volendam, Zaandam, Wsterdam.

Finally, a good mainstream experience is Royal Caribbean or Norwegian. The former's brand new Radiance of the Seas will be in Alaska.

Hope that helps!!!1
Old Feb 1, 2001, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Many thanks to you all for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.