Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Gold,
Some Exit Row Humor

http://www.theonion.com/onion3703/ex...ibilities.html
Old Jan 31, 2001, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great link. The last line says it all!
Old Jan 31, 2001, 3:31 pm

Buzz Lightyear, toooo Infinity and Beyond!
Old Jan 31, 2001, 3:34 pm

Or as Patrick (2) puts it, "Tofinny unyond!"

Funny stuff. Sadly, I know a few people like that.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Jan 31, 2001, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
The last quote from the flight attendant is just perfect...
Old Jan 31, 2001, 6:21 pm

Which brings to mind a question: Has anyone been on a flight where a pax has removed him/herself from the exit row because they were unsure as to whether or not they could handle it? Now THAT would be interesting to see what the FAs do!
Old Jan 31, 2001, 8:05 pm

Several years ago a lady in her 60's was seated next to the wing exit on a TWA MD-80. As the Plane taxied to the runway, the FA gave the safety briefing and in closing stated anyone not able or willing to help out should move. This person was not sure if she had the strength to open the window exit and thought she should try it. Upon doing so the exit slide deployed and the whole flight had to be scrubed.
Old Jan 31, 2001, 10:23 pm

Sounds like his mom.
Old Feb 1, 2001, 6:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally posted by Tango:
Several years ago a lady in her 60's was seated next to the wing exit on a TWA MD-80. As the Plane taxied to the runway, the FA gave the safety briefing and in closing stated anyone not able or willing to help out should move. This person was not sure if she had the strength to open the window exit and thought she should try it. Upon doing so the exit slide deployed and the whole flight had to be scrubed.
Escape slides on over-the-wing exits? You sure about that?
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:31 am
GG

"Has anyone been on a flight where a pax has removed him/herself from the exit row because they were unsure as to whether or not they could handle it? Now THAT would be interesting to see what the FAs do!"

They ask for a volunteer to change seats with the pax in the exit row. (Sorry, I know it's not very funny.)

Back when we still flew TWA, we were in coach on a full flight LAX-STL. 3 non-English-speakers had ended up in the exit row, and the FA wanted to move them, the bit about "hear the instructions" presumably really meaning "understand the instructions." We immediately volunteered to change seats, but the FA insisted that all three of the tourists get moved together, ghu knows why. The woman in the window seat of our row wouldn't change - she was afraid of the exit row for some reason she was unable to explain, although she was perfectly young and healthy. Did she think the door was going to open during the flight and spill her out? Who knows. She did want to jump up out of her seat the second the plane touched down, but you know, for some reason we decided to let the rest of the passengers clear out before we got up...
Old Feb 1, 2001, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Denverplat,

thank you. I'm having an awful day, and the story was a great pick-me-up.

What a tremendous closing line for the story.

thanks!

Thumper
Old Feb 1, 2001, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
On a flight from SHA to SFO in December, a family of 4 had 1 English speaker among them, all of them in the exit row on the UD. How they got those BP's at the counter, I'm not sure, but they did.

The FA's did a masterful job of convincing the family that they had convinced themselves that they should sit downstairs.

It took quite a while, though, and about 7 different seat combinations up top, including sitting in my empty seat next to me before they walked down the stairs.

That was a fantastic story.

Greg
Old Feb 1, 2001, 2:54 pm

Over July 4 weekend, I was aboard a NW flight DTW-ORD on an A320.

I was seated in 11D and had an Asian gentleman (who turned out to be a Professor of linguistics at the University of Chicago) across the aisle from me in 11C. Ahead of us, in the other exit row 10C was a Caucasian woman. The flight attendant walked up the aisle to us and pointedly asked me and the Asian man in 11C if we spoke English, as it was a requirement for sitting in the exit row. I replied impassively in the affirmative, but the man in 11C took offense to the question especially since the lady in 10C was not asked. To pacify him, the F/A asked her too and was mortified when it turned out that the lady was from Eastern Europe and DIDN'T ACTUALLY SPEAK ENGLISH! She was accordingly reseated and the now red-faced F/A offered both of us profuse apologies.

It just shows how appearances can be deceptive!
Old Feb 1, 2001, 4:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Originally posted by 2 Many Miles:
The last quote from the flight attendant is just perfect...
there's a bus shelter ad here in SF for some web service or other, , w/ a photo of an f/a hlding up a seat belt in the safety demo, with the caption "Like hths is really gonna help" or some such..

it's pretty funny...
Old Feb 1, 2001, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not a civilian

I know this is one of the typically great joke stories from The Onion, but I wish every Exit Row Passenger felt this way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.