Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help where to go and what to do in Vancouver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 1999, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Ok, my uncle is on his honey moon and will be in Vancouver from the 30 of July till the 14th of August, and the best way to get great and fast information is from my FT friends… he will be staying at Suton place hotel… any recommendation? Is it good, is it bad, any one stayed there before?… any information will be greatly appreciated.

What is Victoria island?.. is it a good place to be in?.. how far from Vancouver?…

any recommendations for other places … restaurants?… etc… as I said he is a honeymooner .

Thank you very much in advance

KSA_USA
Old Jul 29, 1999, 1:40 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Sutton Place is really great: [*]luxurious, health/fitness-pool renovated last year[*]first class location, Robson Street around the corner[*]a (british-like) old-fashioned bar, very full - but entrance priority for hotel guests on (over-) crowded evenings (often with jazz/piano)[*]a (european-like) concierge service for all your needs

many tips on what to do, where to eat (my favorites: french=Le Gavroche, steaks=Hy's Encore) have been posted already on this board. just do a search for "Vancouver".
Old Jul 29, 1999, 3:47 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Your uncle will be staying really close to Robson Street. It has nice boutiques, sidewalk cafes, gelato places, and lots of restaurants. For a good martini, margarita and large servings in a casual place, try Milestones restaurant on Robson. For something more intimate, try the restaurant in Stanley Park near the tennis courts (it used to be called the Beachhouse restaurant). He also has an extremely decadent chocolate dessert place directly across the street from his hotel. The chinese restaurant in the mall underneath the Hyatt is very good. The Hyatt is about 4 blocks away from the Sutton hotel.

Don't forget to visit the Granville island public market (my fav place). The french bakery there is heavenly!! Also, take a walk through Chinatown. Unfortunately, the best chinese restaurants are no longer in chinatown but it's a nice place to sightsee.

Taking the ferry to Victoria (the capital of British Columbia) is romantic. Beware, the summer crowds can cause long waits for the ferries. Victoria looks like a small English town. Make sure to have high tea at the Empress hotel.

Just a sliver of all that Vancouver has to offer.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 5:30 am

I could add lots, but will only say that a trip to Victoria is not complete without going to Buchart Gardens...
Old Jul 29, 1999, 9:06 am
Original Member

Being the resident Vancouver resident, I guess I should jump in. Not to put too much of an edge on your topic question, but the best answer is "everywhere and everything."

First, a quick clarification. Victoria is a city, the capital city of the province of British Columbia. It is located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island (not to be confused with the city of Vancouver, on the mainland, also in the province of British Columbia.) With traffic and sailing time, count on about 3.5 hours from your hotel to downtown Victoria, assuming you don't have to wait any sailings due to filled ferrys. Reservations are available, for C$15 in addition to the fare (about $40 for car and 2 adults.)

Back to the tour guide. Vancouver is an incredible city, and has everything you could imagine. I'll list a bunch here, but when you get here, ask anyone for advice or directions. Most will be happy to oblige.

"Symphony of Fire" -- fireworks, On Wednesday and Saturday evenings, there is a fireworks competition from a barge in English Bay, set to music. Starts at precisely 10:15. About a 20 minute walk -- don't even think about driving. Quite spectaular. (4 nights, starting July 31, I think.)

Grouse Mountain Sky Ride -- take the tramway to the top of the mountain (and have a meal at the top, if you like.) A great way to see the city from above. If you are the athletic, tri-athalon type, you can do the Grouse Grind -- "jog" up the mountain via the trails. If you have a car, you may prefer to drive to Cypress Bowl or Mt Seymour parks. They are both on the top of mountains, with scenic lookouts where you can also see the city.

Great downtown places -- some have already been mentioned: Robson street, especially on Friday or Saturday night, when many of the shops are open til 2am or later. The place is crawling with people, and buskers are everywhere. It is so busy, that they turn the traffic lights off between 9pm and 3am, and cops direct traffic, and try to keep the sidewalks clear.

Granville Island, formerly an industrial area, now a public market, with fresh everything. Right on the water, with boats, recreational and commercial, coming and going.

Gastown, a restored, historic part of the city. Best seen during the day.

Chinatown -- head for Keefer and Main St, then look up. You'll swear you are somewhere in Asia. In a similar vein, check out the recently proclaimed Punjabi Market. Drive south on Main St, until you think you are in New Delhi.

Stanley Park, one of the world's great urban parks. Visit the aquarium, go to the beach, or take a secluded walk in the wilderness, minutes from downtown Vancouver. Unlike Central Park (NYC) used to be, Stanley Park is very safe.

Culture: The Museum of Anthropology at UBC, another world class place. Details the history of the west coast from pre-European days.

Restaurants -- Every second business in Vancouver is a restaurant, or so it seems. The variety is endless. You could problaby have a different ethnic meal for every meal, and still not experience them all. The usual of course, Chinese, Italian, French, etc. My favourites are Mongolian, Afghani, Singapore, and particularly an Ethiopian place called Nyala, on W 4th Avenue. For vegitarian, check out the 24 hour, always open Naam, also on W 4th Avenue. Step back in time 30 years, to the age of Aquarius. The same hippies still own and operate the place.

You can check them out on your way to Kitsalano, home of hippies and yuppies, and lots of great beaches. Spanish Banks, Jericho, and if you are so inclined, the publicly sanctioned clothing-optional Wreck Beach, near UBC.

Other "touristy" things: Take the "Britannia" from Vancouver Harbour, and cruise up Howe Sound to Squamish. Then take the historic Royal Hudson steam train back to Vancouver.

Watch airplanes take off and land at Runway Park, about 100ft from the east end of one of the busier runways, at Vancouver Int'l. You'll feel the blast. (That's for FTer's reading this. )

Check out theatrical productions throughout town -- there are lots -- as well as concerts, spoken word, etc. Pick up a copy of the free, award winning Georgia Strait weekly "entertainment oriented" newspaper. Available everywhere, including grocery stores and street corners. Lots and lots of things to do.

Take the ferry to Victoria, on Vancouver Island. On the way into town, stop at the Butchart Gardens.

You could easily spend several days in downtown Victoria. Head for the "Inner Harbour" and see the Parliment Buildings, especially at night when they are lit up, the Empress Hotel, the Harbour itself. Here, you'll think you're in "downtown England." You can also visit the Royal Provincial Museum a block away. Another world class facility.

Drive north on the Trans-Canada highway, and take the ferry back to Vancouver from Nanaimo, but make sure you detour through Chemainus. It used to be a lumber mill town, until the mill closed down, and threatened to take the town with it. They went on an artistic bent, and several great artists from around the world came to town and painted just about every wall of every public building, and many private buildings as well, with murals. It's now a mecca for artists. (Ironically, the mill reopened, and the city is booming.)

Take some time to just do nothing, especially on Friday afternoons, when the rest of the city does at well. Rush hour begins about lunch time on Fridays, as we are all eager to get to the lake, the sailboat, the ski hill, or the backyard BBQ. According to StatsCan, people in Vancouver work 11% less than the rest of the country. We like to think we live 11% more. (Many, like me, think work is something we do in our spare time.)

By some music CDs. Vancouver is the only place in North America where the retailers set the price, as opposed to the distributors. Because of the volume and clout of the music stores here, CDs are very inexpensive. Lower Seymour St, downtown, has A&B Sound, the industry leaders. Competing Sam's is also next door.

Check out real estate. Once you are here, you'll want to figure out how you can stay. If nothing else, the scary prices will make you appreciate where you now live. (New, single-family dwellings in Vancouver, average out at about $650,000!)

Check out a movie set. They are all over the place. They are interesting for a while, but you can only watch MacGyver drive up, park, and get out of a car about 20 times, before it gets old. Still, quite interesting, if you've never seen it before.

I know this looks like a lot, but we've just scratched the surface. This should keep them going long enough to get settled in and find out what else they might want to do while they are here.

Wish them well,

Regards,

Ken Hamer

[This message has been edited by KenHamer (edited 07-30-1999).]
Old Jul 29, 1999, 9:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
Also a nice day trip to Whistler Mountain Resort or stay for a few days it's beautiful up there.

Cheers Scott
Old Jul 29, 1999, 9:19 am
Original Member

Whoops. Just in case you read about the fireworks before I corrected the time, they start at 10:15, not 10:45.

Ken H
Old Jul 29, 1999, 9:41 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Vancouver, and in fact all of BC, is so absolutely wonderful that I feel in love with the area on my very first visit nearly thirty years ago. Several years ago I'd even thought about taking a position at UBC rather than moving back east. Heaven in North America?
Old Jul 29, 1999, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
As a former Vancouverite, I can say that once your uncle visits British Columbia, he may never want to leave. All that talk about "it rains all the time" is just to deter people from moving there permenantly!
Old Jul 29, 1999, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
The Marina across the street from the Empress Hotel in Victoria is a pleasant place to hang out and people watch. Some of the street entertainment is just delightful and for some reason (don't you Canadians go getting big heads over this) the crowds are far cleaner, more charming and enjoyable than those in similar circumstances in America.

We also enjoy the Museum of History in Victoria.

The whole city is just a lovely place to be.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 07-29-1999).]
Old Jul 29, 1999, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
My wife and I were thinking about going to Cargary next July, now having read this thread, maybe we will go to Vancover instead.
Any comments. Never been to Calgary.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: UA1K MM, HHonors Diamond + many more
I would definitly go to Vancouver vice Calgary. There is so much to do within 1 hours drive versus Calgary where the most scenic places are in the mountains. Plus the value of U.S versus the Canadian dollar makes it a bargain.

Cheers Scott
Old Jul 29, 1999, 3:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
As a Calgarian I must object

Depends what you like. Vancouver is a great cosmopolitan and large city with an impressive backdrop. Calgary is a mid-size city with an impressive backdrop. It is still a more mud on your boots (although some Calgarians don't like to admit it) grassroots, pretty friendly kind of place. In July you have the Calgary Stampede (unless you don't like to see the farm animals chased, wrestled and pushed to the limit in the rodeo) and some wide open spaces close by.

Vancouver takes a longer time to get out of to get somewhere wild so I suggest when going to Vancouver, stay there and enjoy the experience.

When in Calgary you will probably want to sample the city a bit and then get out of town. July is the time of year to do it.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to hammer home KenHammer's point, Vancouver is not Victoria. They are some distance apart.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 6:06 pm
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
I agree with all of you who expound upon the romanticism/excitement of Vancouver and Victoria. The BC Ferries from Tsawassen (sp?) to Victoria is great. Romantic fer shure, and even more so during sunset. You might also take a seaplane ride out over the area. It's a cool way to check out the area. Oh yeah, a while back I remember something about being able to reserve a spot on the ferry. It cost you something like 10 CAD more, but it was insurance... I don't know if you can still do this, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.