Reload this Page >

Driving after long haul flight - advice needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving after long haul flight - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jrl767
and I’d probably take Pico Blvd from Santa Monica to Koreatown to avoid I-10 eastbound
Olympic Blvd is wider, has a better traffic flow and is faster than Pico Blvd.
obscure2k, SPN Lifer and jrl767 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Assuming you need the car for the rest of the trip, I can see why you want to pick it up when you land, leave LAX, and not have another two-hour adventure just to go back to LAX later for the car. Not to mention hassling with luggage storage and various types of public transit that aren't always predictable. (LAX doesn't have a train into the terminal - it's all buses.)

I've found that when I land after a long-haul, I'm pretty wired for a couple hours. I'd pick up the car and head straight to a nearby beach. My entire goal for the day would be just chilling on the beach, going for a walk in whatever neighborhood is right there, and having lunch right near there. I know there are a few possibilities just north of the airport - I forget the names of the neighborhoods/beaches but they're like 10-20 minutes and won't be slammed with tourists at 8AM on a Sunday.

If you get drowsy and need to powernap in the car for a while, that's okay too. Then, at 4pm, go straight to your Airbnb, get settled, have dinner near there, and get a good night's sleep. And then, the next day, deal with LA traffic when you're well-rested.

The Getty is a great idea - just not on Day 1.
moondog likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Assuming you need the car for the rest of the trip, I can see why you want to pick it up when you land, leave LAX, and not have another two-hour adventure just to go back to LAX later for the car. Not to mention hassling with luggage storage and various types of public transit that aren't always predictable. (LAX doesn't have a train into the terminal - it's all buses.)

I've found that when I land after a long-haul, I'm pretty wired for a couple hours. I'd pick up the car and head straight to a nearby beach. My entire goal for the day would be just chilling on the beach, going for a walk in whatever neighborhood is right there, and having lunch right near there. I know there are a few possibilities just north of the airport - I forget the names of the neighborhoods/beaches but they're like 10-20 minutes and won't be slammed with tourists at 8AM on a Sunday.

If you get drowsy and need to powernap in the car for a while, that's okay too. Then, at 4pm, go straight to your Airbnb, get settled, have dinner near there, and get a good night's sleep. And then, the next day, deal with LA traffic when you're well-rested.

The Getty is a great idea - just not on Day 1.
We're on the same page here.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
A couple points.

Beaches might not be slammed with tourists at 8 am on a Sunday, but that doesn't mean they'll be empty, or even uncrowded. That's prime surfing time, and lots of locals like their morning exercise on the beach - I've got a couple family members who do 2 mile walks on a beach every morning. Plus, are they packing beach towels, gear, etc?

OP will have his 13 yo son with him, and kids of that age often need much more sleep than adults, and have lower tolerances for just chilling. OP also said he wants to do some sightseeing that day. If he's serious about the sightseeing once they land and assess their energy levels, I think stashing the luggage somewhere safe and going with a commercial tour of some sort, perhaps the hop-on, hop-off type, is the safest option.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 10:32 pm

The op presumably understands that those beaches and beach cities draw large crowds, and that people are one of the things that makes them interesting. I used to love going to Venice when I was 12 or 13...far more fun than being dragged to a remote stretch of untouched sand and easy to explore without the aid of any sort of organized tour.

https://youtu.be/RtBbinpK5XI?si=1U0N7J8k2gEfd76Y
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I've had a similar experience. Landed early at Heathrow on a weekend, rented a car and drove to Bath. My wife was with my to keep me alert. We made it but I would not do it again. What I would do instead is get a hotel room at the airport, adjust to the time zone and leave the next day.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
I've driven after a long haul flight.

Never again, i wouldnt endanger myself, my family or other road users by driving that tired.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 3:30 am

It's quite risky tho, just be safe.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 4:11 am

+1 for the Hop-on-hop-off guided city tour. Safer, more instructive probably, and more kid-friendly.
Old Apr 15, 2024, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by frflies
+1 for the Hop-on-hop-off guided city tour. Safer, more instructive probably, and more kid-friendly.
Assuming those exist in Santa Monica/Venice, how would you get from LAX to any suitable "hop on" points? What are the benefits v bicycling on the paths?
Old Apr 15, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Another option I'd consider, and this is just me knowing I'm wired for a couple hours after landing and then deadass tired by the afternoon: just drive directly to the Airbnb upon arrival.

You can't get in yet, but you can park, summon an Uber, and go do whatever until you can. Depending on where your Airbnb is, maybe it's just an Uber to the hop-on-hop-off bus route, or to a light rail station. In any case, Sunday morning...it'll be comparatively chill.

Disclaimer 1: I know nothing about hop-on-hop-off buses in LA.

Disclaimer 2: I've never used sleeping pills on a flight. If you land still partly jacked up from pills, then obviously DO NOT drive. I just know myself...I have a window of morning alertness followed by afternoon drowsiness. YMMV.

I'd maybe go to the LA Farmer's Market (which has more restaurants, shops, etc. than actual farmers), go wander around Hollywood, etc....A kid would probably enjoy hitting up Pink's for lunch....sort of basic LA tourist stuff that could be done with a few short Ubers worst case.
tiviander and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An uber from lax to Manhattan Beach is about $25 each way....maybe less at that hour when there is no traffic. Go to MB, have breakfast at one of the many restaurants (I suggest The Kettle or Uncle Bills or Ocean view cafe) and be prepared to wait a long time for a table but you have nothing but time. If you have the energy maybe take a walk along the strand in MB and look at all of the mega million $ homes. On a sunday, there is often beach volleyball which is fun to watch, there are benches along the strand to sit and take in the beautiful ocean and pier and the beautiful people. Around 11 or 12, stores should be opening if you want to do a bit of shopping.
Or a little further south you can go to Hermosa beach....different vibe than Manhattan even though they are right next to each other...younger crowd and not as fancy as MB. Next to that going south is Redondo---nice marina with boats, pier with shops etc, and if the waves are right there are lots of surfers. I know of bike rental places at Hermosa & Redondo but not in MB. All the beaches have a bike path running along them if you get a burst of energy.
Feel free to PM me...the beaches are my turf.
Old Apr 16, 2024, 10:55 pm

Venice is more interesting than Manhattan Beach IMO (and, this definitely was the case when I was 12), not that it really matters though, especially since the OP seems to have gone dark.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Venice is more interesting than Manhattan Beach IMO (and, this definitely was the case when I was 12), not that it really matters though, especially since the OP seems to have gone dark.
Venice is tons of homeless, fake drs getting people medical weed cards, swap meet stuff, etc. It couldn't be more different than MB.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:37 am

I suggest any of the approaches above that don't involve driving more than the minimum (LAX to airbnb). Or even better, use taxis/ubers the first day and pick up a car in town the next morning.

I don't know your son but I wouldn't have counted on my kids at age 13 to keep me awake in a car. They would have been sleeping before I took the car out of Park.

It would be best to spend most of that day outdoors -- and even if you have a place to do it, nap as little as possible. The natural sunlight will help you adjust to the new time zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.