Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Driving after long haul flight - advice needed

Driving after long haul flight - advice needed

Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corky
Venice is tons of homeless, fake drs getting people medical weed cards, swap meet stuff, etc. It couldn't be more different than MB.
Lol...I remember when medical marijuana was pretty new (and recreational not yet legal), Venice had several "doctors" right on the beach walk area. Dr. 420, the Kush Doctor...and other weed-related names.

Is there still a market for them? Are there strains that medical users can buy that recreational users can't? Or lower taxes?
corky likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by davidw1648
I am taking a 15 hour flight from Sydney to Los Angeles, arriving 6am. I can only check-in to my AirBnB at 4pm as there is another tenant staying there night prior. Hence, to avoid wasting the day, I plan to do some sightseeing in LA till my AirBnB is available. I have hired a rental car.
After flying in business class almost 24 hours from Atlanta to Sydney via Houston and Los Angeles years ago with only 45 minutes of sleep at the most, I arrived in Sydney at approximately 8:00 in the morning.

I rented a car with manual transmission. It was the first time I drove on the left side of the road ó plus I had to be accustomed to using my left hand to shift between gears.

I just did it without sleep or medication. I stuck to my itinerary. I have no idea how I did it ó other than through determination and convincing myself that the time was 8:00 in the morning. I experienced no issues or problems.

Mind over matter, perhaps...?!?
Old Apr 24, 2024, 9:03 am

I have no idea of what the statistics say regarding the danger of driving after a long haul flight, but what I do know is that I owned my last car for about 18 years. During that time, I put two significant dents in it. Both of those dents were caused by my driving into bollards in airport parking lots after getting off a long haul flight...

YMMV, as may your car damage.
Old Apr 24, 2024, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
Lol...I remember when medical marijuana was pretty new (and recreational not yet legal), Venice had several "doctors" right on the beach walk area. Dr. 420, the Kush Doctor...and other weed-related names.

Is there still a market for them? Are there strains that medical users can buy that recreational users can't? Or lower taxes?
Lower taxes for medical for sure but I don't know if you can get different stuff. I don't have a card.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by davidw1648
I am taking a 15 hour flight from Sydney to Los Angeles, arriving 6am. I can only check-in to my AirBnB at 4pm as there is another tenant staying there night prior. Hence, to avoid wasting the day, I plan to do some sightseeing in LA till my AirBnB is available. I have hired a rental car.

I have read some posts about the effects of long haul flights and risks of driving right after. Particularly if it involves driving in an unfamiliar city, and on the wrong side of the road. (Syd vs LA traffic is on diff sides). But the thing is that the sight seeing I plan to do that day will only involve short drives, e.g, 30 mins between destinations, lots of stopping & starting, meals & rest in various destinations around LA.

I (M51) admit my energy levels are not as high as my younger days, but I will also have my 13 year old son with me, and was thinking that he can prod me to take a rest if I look like I am falling asleep or look tired. The other mitigating factor is that I am arriving in LAX on a Sunday, so the traffic will be a bit quieter.

Was also considering taking some sleeping pills on the flight so that I get some sleep prior to landing.

What's everyone opinion on my plan above? Am I taking unnecessary risks driving after such a long haul flight? Should I stay at an airport hotel for a quick shower and nap before embarking on my sightseeing trip? Has anyone done something similiar before, and would you do it again?

Looking forward to hearing others thoughts and experiences, thanks!
Just don't use Uber and Lyft or Alto.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Olympic Blvd is wider, has a better traffic flow and is faster than Pico Blvd.
Agreed The Fairmont Century City is awesome
Old Apr 27, 2024, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danielonn
Just don't use Uber and Lyft or Alto.
Why not?
Old Apr 29, 2024, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I used to fly sfo>fra and then drive from fra to Nuernberg which was 2-3 hours based on both traffic and a meal break at a rest stop which had a decent restaurant. I did it for about 13 years although the first time was embarrassing because my hertz reservation had an hour delay because I wasnt in #1 club. Lesson learned and I never again have had a car reservation issue. Phew. I last did this drive in 2008 before I even owned a smartphone.

so OP will be with family. Hire the car, be mindful of the road rules, and enjoy. Get some cups of beverages to stay sharp. Indeed be mindful of car theft risk. I think the Getty has luggage storage capacities. Bring the luggage to your casual meal.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 5:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Many years ago, I rented a car at LHR and proceeded to drive to Oxford after arriving on a non-stop flight from LAX. I was driving on the M40 Motorway near the speed limit in the left (slow) lane. Being that I was not used to driving on the left side of the road, I misjudged the distance and hit the curbstone on the left side of the road. I lost control of the car, which careened across several lane of traffic and a wide center divider dense with at least five feet tall grass. By the time that the car came to a stop, I was in the opposite lanes of traffic. Fortunately, it was a Sunday afternoon and there were no other cars traveling in either direction. I drove to the nearest exit, where got off the motorway and got back on to continue in my original direction of travel. I have never since rented a car until at least a day after arriving on a red-eye flight.
Old Apr 29, 2024, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar to TWA884 I too made the mistake of renting a car in London after an overnight flight. I backed into a big cement thing in a parking lot about 15 minutes after leaving the airport. Of course a big part of it was not being used to driving on the wrong side but I also know that when I haven't had a good nights sleep my reflexes are slower etc. It isn't worth it. I had to pay for the dent but thankfully no one was hurt.
wrp96 and buddyj like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by corky
Similar to TWA884 I too made the mistake of renting a car in London after an overnight flight. I backed into a big cement thing in a parking lot about 15 minutes after leaving the airport. Of course a big part of it was not being used to driving on the wrong side but I also know that when I haven't had a good nights sleep my reflexes are slower etc. It isn't worth it. I had to pay for the dent but thankfully no one was hurt.
in San Francisco i had a family meal and then in the underground parking lot I backed into a big cement thing that also caused a dent and this was in the underground parking lot. Last time I drove wearing sunglasses. I still drive.

I honestly think that itís ok to drive after flying tatl tpac.
Old May 4, 2024, 2:13 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
When I must fly a red-eye I often book my accommodations beginning the night before and inform them that I my flight arrives at 0600 and I don't want to deal with "No entry until 4 pm."
Old May 5, 2024, 12:54 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
It's just a matter of understanding your limitations and anxieties. Quite recently I flew from LAX to. LHR, and managed about 3.5 hours sleep. Had a 280 mile drive ahead, and just pregamed it with one cup of coffee. As it turned out there was a massive traffic accident on the M6 about 3 hours north of LHR, which added two hours to a 4.5 hour expected drive. I stopped once on the way for the washroom and a Diet Coke, but felt fully awake and cognizant the whole drive.

I've driven on the left probably eight times over the years, and I grasp the concept very quickly each trip. It always helps having a co-pilot telling you when you are drifting a bit to the left in a lane, but that tendency seems to evaporate after a few hours of driving. YMMV
​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.