FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving after long haul flight - advice needed
Old Apr 9, 2024, 1:37 pm
moondog
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pinniped
Assuming you need the car for the rest of the trip, I can see why you want to pick it up when you land, leave LAX, and not have another two-hour adventure just to go back to LAX later for the car. Not to mention hassling with luggage storage and various types of public transit that aren't always predictable. (LAX doesn't have a train into the terminal - it's all buses.)

I've found that when I land after a long-haul, I'm pretty wired for a couple hours. I'd pick up the car and head straight to a nearby beach. My entire goal for the day would be just chilling on the beach, going for a walk in whatever neighborhood is right there, and having lunch right near there. I know there are a few possibilities just north of the airport - I forget the names of the neighborhoods/beaches but they're like 10-20 minutes and won't be slammed with tourists at 8AM on a Sunday.

If you get drowsy and need to powernap in the car for a while, that's okay too. Then, at 4pm, go straight to your Airbnb, get settled, have dinner near there, and get a good night's sleep. And then, the next day, deal with LA traffic when you're well-rested.

The Getty is a great idea - just not on Day 1.
We're on the same page here.