Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do European airlines have such lousy websites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2024, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The current object of my ire is Lufthansa, but I've experienced it with Swiss, and I think BA and others. I seem to recall something similar with Air New Zealand too but am not sure, it's been a while. Why is it that once you pay for seat selection (don't get me started on them charging to select your seat as an elite on a non-Basic fare) you can't modify your selected seat without calling their customer service desk? Compared to these, the US airlines are models of technological efficiency.

Also to add: I apparently have a Miles and More account but the website just tells me "A technical error occurred" when I try to log in.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Mar 21, 2024 at 10:40 am
Old Mar 21, 2024, 1:04 pm

At least there is one area where the USA airlines are indisputably the best in the world. Not to say they are perfect, but they are infinitely more useful than their overseas competitors If you think the European websites are bad, try some of the Asian airline websites, many of which feel like they were designed thirty years ago.

The LH group is absolutely maddening to deal with. You can access your flight information for any LH/LX/OS flight through any of their websites/apps, but what you can actually do in terms of managing the flight/trip info varies in wildly unpredictable ways between the six platforms, and it seems to change by the day.
gfunkdave, jpdx, SPN Lifer and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Recognize it takes some capital to present a quality airline website, but why aren't the carriers grasping the return on investment is high. Labor costs for staffing call centers and airport personnel, as an alternative to quality self service portals, should make the investment decision an easy one.
obscure2k and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 21, 2024, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Check out the websites for Japanese or Chinese airlines and then you’ll be overwhelmed by the quality of European carriers’ websites
Old Mar 24, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I've had pretty good luck with Virgin Australia for domestic travel - it's usable enough to get you through with mobile passes, etc, and the booking experience is smooth enough. But, yes, I tried to look at setting up an ANA account for MR transfers, and I just gave up as I felt as if I needed to dust off my Windows XP desktop to better match the vibes.

LH Miles and More IT is just horrid - glad I realized I can just credit everything to UA.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It seems some of the LCCs have better websites - probably because they'd rather you actually complete all your business online versus with a human. I frequently use easyJet when i bouncing around Europe on short-haul flights and I've always found it very simple to navigate the website.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
UA is years ahead of everyone on this but EasyJet is not bad. BA is truly shocking, making even LH look adequate. Given the LH Group and the IAG group are huge I cannot understand why they don’t spend the money and spread the cost savings and service enhancements across their respective brands.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
UA is years ahead of everyone on this but EasyJet is not bad. BA is truly shocking, making even LH look adequate. Given the LH Group and the IAG group are huge I cannot understand why they don’t spend the money and spread the cost savings and service enhancements across their respective brands.
I recently needed to take poles that were 220cm long from London to Venice. Easyjet’s website was the only one to impart enough information to allow me to feel secure doing this and I was able to action the trip online without having to call or involve any customer service reps. A part of the proof of a functional website is being able to use it for bookings that fall outside of the norm.
I noticed my flight had a number of other passengers with “oversized” luggage. There’s definitely a cohort of travellers to be captured by offering this kind of user friendly interface.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
The current object of my ire is Lufthansa, but I've experienced it with Swiss, and I think BA and others. I seem to recall something similar with Air New Zealand too but am not sure, it's been a while. Why is it that once you pay for seat selection (don't get me started on them charging to select your seat as an elite on a non-Basic fare) you can't modify your selected seat without calling their customer service desk? Compared to these, the US airlines are models of technological efficiency.

Also to add: I apparently have a Miles and More account but the website just tells me "A technical error occurred" when I try to log in.
Still waiting for most European carriers to allow booking an open jaw online. There's one, either EI or FI, can't recall which it was, where I succeeded in doing it via kayak.com, but it can't be done directly on the airline site.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Still waiting for most European carriers to allow booking an open jaw online. There's one, either EI or FI, can't recall which it was, where I succeeded in doing it via kayak.com, but it can't be done directly on the airline site.
??? I did a quick check on the websites of LH (+ other LH IT airlines like LX), AY, BA, EI, FI, AF, KL, SK and they all offer searching for open jaw trips. They mostly call them multi city though.
I assume you can book those trips as well if you can search for them.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by buddyj
??? I did a quick check on the websites of LH (+ other LH IT airlines like LX), AY, BA, EI, FI, AF, KL, SK and they all offer searching for open jaw trips. They mostly call them multi city though.
I assume you can book those trips as well if you can search for them.
Here's what happens if I try to book PHL-MIL - FCO-PHL on the Aer Lingus website:
1. first I try booking round trip PHL-MIL, then PHL-FCO
2. okay, things look good, each city pair has flights available on the days I want at acceptable fares
3. now I try booking multi city, trying to get flights that I have confirmed exist and have seats available.

RESULT: "No flights available for this city pair"

I've seen that same thing on multiple airlines, including most recently EI, FI and SK.
SPN Lifer and buddyj like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's wild because, while I don't think any airline in the world has a perfect website and app with ALL the functionality a traveler needs, I am forced to admit that United comes pretty close.

And there was an era where "united dot bomb" was a running joke on Flyertalk.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

About 12 years ago I used DL's website to rebook a delayed flight, sort out seats and OLCI. I remember being wow-ed then...time has passed and that is still an impossible dream for most airlines in Europe and indeed outside North America.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Check out the websites for Japanese or Chinese airlines and then you’ll be overwhelmed by the quality of European carriers’ websites
I was thinking the same. So many airlines around the world have absolutely terrible websites, with lots of putative functionality not working.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's wild because, while I don't think any airline in the world has a perfect website and app with ALL the functionality a traveler needs, I am forced to admit that United comes pretty close.

And there was an era where "united dot bomb" was a running joke on Flyertalk.
It's because we were all so salty at losing United Connection.
The demise of UA Connection software

I had to fly ANA last year and was absolutely shocked at how cumbersome it was. I think they are 15-20 years behind the American carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.