Masterful Hotel Fraud...Any Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Masterful Hotel Fraud...Any Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2024, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Did you contact the hotel directly before disputing the charge?
Yes. And the guy answering couldn't find a record of my reservation. But that's all verbal.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by Explore
Yes. And the guy answering couldn't find a record of my reservation. But that's all verbal.
did you get their name - you can at least provide the verbal information at the small claims court. Not sure if hearsay is an issue with civil court like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gaobest
did you get their name - you can at least provide the verbal information at the small claims court. Not sure if hearsay is an issue with civil court like this.
The rules of evidence still apply, but being no jury, laywers, etc., the judge / commissioner would build that all in mentally - whether to admit it or whether there's an exception to the hearsay rule, even in the absence of an objection.

Unfortunately, CC disputes frequently don't go how you might expect. I've had two foul outcomes over the years - the biggie was Aeromexico during COVID. AX resolved it in favor of AM (notwithstanding canceled flights) and the DOT didn't do squat. The other one was a Hilton property accusing me of pilfering a robe (and there wasn't even one in the room). I don't recall which card it was, but the bank sided with the hotel. Hilton corporate finally made things right.

I'd follow up with Dayuse, as it might also be liable via agency laws.
Explore, SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Is it possible to revoke the sign in form on the spot?

Otherwise the sign in form cannot hold weight because a stalemate would result:

"Give me the keys and then {I} will sign the form."
"Sign the form and then {I} will give you the keys."

""... accusing {me} of pilfering a robe ...""

Did the hotel provide an inventory sheet listing the items in the room?

Topic for next month: How to dispute an accusation of messing up or smoking during a Uber, etc. ride.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.