Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Sending a drink to a passenger in coach: pretentious?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sending a drink to a passenger in coach: pretentious?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Not sure how you can reach so many conclusions without hearing both sides of the story.

For example, how did wife & neighbor get along before the flight? Maybe neighbor already had a negative of opinion of wife before this, and drink incident just confirmed the previous opinion.

There's just one side posted here, and too few facts, to reach a conclusion on the why's and how's of this story.
Ive always considered the husband a friend (although not a close one) and my wife always had cordial interactions with her. We werent close, but we liked them fine.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Yeah, a touch pretentious I think.
corky, CDTraveler and Badenoch like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Ive always considered the husband a friend (although not a close one) and my wife always had cordial interactions with her. We werent close, but we liked them fine.
But did they like you? It's quite possible to be cordial with someone you really can't stand as long as exposure is limited.

It looks to me like there's a lot more to this story than has been posted here.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 10:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

But did they like you? It's quite possible to be cordial with someone you really can't stand as long as exposure is limited.

It looks to me like there's a lot more to this story than has been posted here.
I can post only what I know.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
WOW!!

That's an extremely harsh criticism of someone you know almost nothing about. Maybe try to be a bit more open-minded and consider that we're only getting one side of the story, basically third-hand, and there could be a lot of information missing.
The comment is also an extremely sexist criticism of someone, with its use of a sexist epithet directed against women.

Whether or not there is pre-flight history with encounters between the two travelers or persons closer to the drink-refusing traveler may color the situation and result in this kind of reaction is hard to know. But even in the face of unwelcome gestures, there are ways to handle it that may be more dignified. [There are also more aggressive and unfriendly ways to respond too -- such as buy drinks for the whole cabin on the card-presenter's account.] It could just be that the drink-refusing neighbor had a bad day and lacked impulse control in the face of having suffered the TSA or something at the airport.]

When this incident occurred, it was Ramadan. Unlikely as it may have been for this situation, what if the passenger happened to be observing Ramadan, when being sent an alcoholic beverage? Or if the woman was known in the neighborhood to be pregnant and thus avoiding alcohol intake? [Yes, there is also food and/or non-alcoholic beverages for sale too.]

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 23, 2023 at 8:35 am
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The comment is also an extremely sexist criticism of someone, with its use of a sexist epithet directed against women.

Whether or not there is pre-flight history with encounters between the two travelers or persons closer to the drink-refusing traveler may color the situation and result in this kind of reaction is hard to know. But even in the face of unwelcome gestures, there are ways to handle it that may be more dignified. [There are also more aggressive and unfriendly ways to respond too -- such as buy drinks for the whole cabin on the card-presenter's account.] It could just be that the drink-refusing neighbor had a bad day and lacked impulse control in the face of having suffered the TSA or something at the airport.]

When this incident occurred, it was Ramadan. Unlikely as it may have been for this situation, what if the passenger happened to be observing Ramadan, when being sent an alcoholic beverage? Or if the woman was known in the neighborhood to be pregnant and thus avoiding alcohol intake? [Yes, there is also food and/or non-alcoholic beverages for sale too.]
The passenger who received the drink is Episcopalian.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:40 am

LOL
the phoenix likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
You mean refused the drink?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 8:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
You mean refused the drink?
Thats two reasons why I was surprised: refusing alcohol and not being gracious about it. I figured an Episcopalian would not be that way.
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:20 am

Thats two reasons why I was surprised: refusing alcohol and not being gracious about it. I figured an Episcopalian would not be that way.
I think I'm beginning to see why the neighbor reacted the way they did, and I doubt belonging to the Episcopalian faith is the reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.