Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

change flight or forgo last leg of connecting flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

change flight or forgo last leg of connecting flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Red face change flight or forgo last leg of connecting flight?

I am flying back thru a city where I need to be the next day. I thought to forgo my connecting leg and stay versus continue home only to return the next day.
I check the rates and its actually somewhat cheaper than my original fare but not $50 cheaper the fare the airlines typically charge to change a ticket.
Any thoughts.. should I risk just not continuing on and letting them know at the time so as not to hold the plane for me?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
welcome to FT

(1) most change fees -- at least in the US -- are now closer to $200 than $50
(2) if you will be checking baggage, the airline will not short-check to the connecting airport (in other words, they will only check it all the way to your ticketed destination)
(3) in the event of IROPS (irregular operations -- weather, maintenance, etc), the airline is only obligated to reroute you to your ticketed destination, which may or may not be through the same connecting city

in any case, you should contact the airline by phone or in person at the connecting airport to let them know your plans have changed unexpectedly; that way they can at least put your seat on the last segment back into inventory
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Chris bt
I am flying back thru a city where I need to be the next day. I thought to forgo my connecting leg and stay versus continue home only to return the next day.
I check the rates and its actually somewhat cheaper than my original fare but not $50 cheaper the fare the airlines typically charge to change a ticket.
Any thoughts.. should I risk just not continuing on and letting them know at the time so as not to hold the plane for me?
How will you get home after your business in the connecting city. If you fail to fly a segment, all remaining segments will be cancelled even if they are the return on a round trip ticket. If the segment you will miss is the absolute last segment in the entire itinerary, then you will probably be fine as long as you don't make a habit of it - assuming you don't check any luggage. Use the "Search" function for "Hidden City Ticketing" for many, many earlier threads on this issue.

They will not be holding a plane for you under any circumstances so you don't need to let anyone know that you will be a no show for the last segment.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1. Whenever this topic comes up (often!), people always warn about airlines refusing to short check baggage; while my data sample is not large enough to be of statiscal significance, I've never been denied this request
-that having been said, I don't recommend banking on a short check

2. Insofar as being rerouted via a different city is concerned, I was under the impression that passengers generally have the right to accept/deny new routings (perhaps this isn't a legal right, but we all have unique quicks when booking flights, and I see know reason why airline staff would want to press us on this)

3. NEVER announce hidden city aspirations to airline staff. Doing do could possibly compel an otherwise indifferent agent to elevate your case to ticketing (not because they want to, but because you've dropped an issue in their lap that they are obligated to follow up upon via preset protocol)
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: none
It's not unusual for plans to change before a trip is over. Airlines know that.

If you change your plans and don't show up for the last segment of your trip, the airline will consider you a "no show" and leave without you. You get nothing back.

If you tell them that you are not taking the last segment of your flight, the airline will consider you a "no show" and leave without you. You get nothing back.

In the "unlikely" event the airline makes a change to your last segment, you can get a refund for that part if you haven't cancelled.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Allan38103
It's not unusual for plans to change before a trip is over. Airlines know that.

If you change your plans and don't show up for the last segment of your trip, the airline will consider you a "no show" and leave without you. You get nothing back.

If you tell them that you are not taking the last segment of your flight, the airline will consider you a "no show" and leave without you. You get nothing back.

In the "unlikely" event the airline makes a change to your last segment, you can get a refund for that part if you haven't cancelled.
Not quite. If you tell them you'll be refared and could owe money. If the last segment just don't show.

Can this topic please be a sticky??

Last edited by milepig; Apr 4, 2016 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Here we go again...

1. If the flight you're skipping is the very last flight of you entire itinerary, go ahead, but you'll get nothing back

2. If it's not the last flight in your itinerary, the rest of the ticket will be ruthlessly cancelled, meaning you'll have to buy a new ticket

3. The probability that someone comes after you is extremely remote.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 6:50 am

deleted

Last edited by SF_EU; Apr 26, 2023 at 3:13 am
Old Apr 26, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Here we go again...

1. If the flight you're skipping is the very last flight of you entire itinerary, go ahead, but you'll get nothing back

2. If it's not the last flight in your itinerary, the rest of the ticket will be ruthlessly cancelled, meaning you'll have to buy a new ticket

3. The probability that someone comes after you is extremely remote.
The only consideration would be if you're in one of the latter boarding groups and told you need to gate check your bag. In that case you will have a big problem.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 6:27 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread arcane. No reason to keep it going
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.