Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the standard now for window shades to be closed on all flights at all times?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I too have had an emergency landing - no flaps on our little CR200, and I was in the exit row, so the FA came and gave us the REAL briefing on what to do if it came to that.

It diidn't come to anything. It was a hot landing, one the pilots have practiced for countless times. The lights on the firetrucks were pretty, though.

It didn't change my outlook over windows, exit rows, or safety of planes.
Perhaps more properly, it didn't change your view.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Perhaps more properly, it didn't change your view.
Yay! I like you.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by rwethereyet
Pretty sure most long haul carriers still offer eye shades/masks - even in Y?
EXACTLY! Carriers provide eye shades and ear plugs too. I love a window seat and I find great joy in seeing the stars at night over the North Pole, and the sun shining brightly on the melting glaciers (which I would not be able to see at any other time). If I am able to book a window, I would like to see what it is I’m flying over. I can’t stand being told “there’s nothing to see.” It seems im in the minority as per this thread. And maybe I’m a nerd but why can’t I see the earth as I pass over it? Use your eye shades everyone!
corky, SPN Lifer, lamphs and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
I prefer an aisle seat but if stuck with a window the blinds go down if the sun is shining directly in. On a clear day I do like to look out when the plane is coming in for a landing to identify landmarks, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Just boarded a daytime transcon, JetBlue on their new A321neo. This is a single aisle cabin, so every seat is a window seat. All shades are down. I am going to bet that shades remain down for the most part for the entire flight…
Old Jan 21, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
I just flew LAX-IAD on a United 787 daytime flight. By default, the windows were all darkened.
And even though the wi-fi and entertainment system was down for most of the flight, virtually nobody lightened their windows to look outside or to let in some natural light, other than perhaps 2-3 windows in the entire cabin.
Nothing like sitting in a dark airplane for 4.5 hours after a 9:00 AM departure, made me pretty sad thinking about the mentality of a majority of the traveling public.
(as a late booking to the flight, all I could get was an aisle, so made me doubly sad...)
salut0 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
I just flew LAX-IAD on a United 787 daytime flight. By default, the windows were all darkened.
And even though the wi-fi and entertainment system was down for most of the flight, virtually nobody lightened their windows to look outside or to let in some natural light, other than perhaps 2-3 windows in the entire cabin.
Nothing like sitting in a dark airplane for 4.5 hours after a 9:00 AM departure, made me pretty sad thinking about the mentality of a majority of the traveling public.
(as a late booking to the flight, all I could get was an aisle, so made me doubly sad...)
I have 30 minutes time left in my flight - maybe 2 or 3 of the business class windows have been opened the entire
flight. I had shades up until after meal service, then took a nap, so I lowered for an hour. Many people slept most of the flight on an 11 AM departure. The approach to LAX is one of my favorites so i will go shades up

My overall point here is that no matter what many of us think, most passengers seem to prefer a darker cabin, and as a result, I think cabins will continue to get darker (whether through tech like on the 787, FA action, passenger action, inertia) going forward
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jlovestotravel
Use your eye shades everyone!
And what about those people who are trying to watch a video? Eye shades do not aid in that.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:30 pm

I don’t know about the video thing but it seems like equal needs. I never realized or thought about the glare on their screens. But it seems like a no-brainer that airlines should have side flaps that can be bent on both sides of the screen similar to the ones that they have on the headrests that keep your head from rolling to the side if you fall asleep. It would block any glare. I know we’re all bored to tears in these long flights but there is no other way to view the scenery than looking out the window on a flight. Videos are available all the time and sleep is possible on the plane with masks.
kale73 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 21, 2024, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jlovestotravel
I don’t know about the video thing but it seems like equal needs. I never realized or thought about the glare on their screens. But it seems like a no-brainer that airlines should have side flaps that can be bent on both sides of the screen similar to the ones that they have on the headrests that keep your head from rolling to the side if you fall asleep. It would block any glare. I know we’re all bored to tears in these long flights but there is no other way to view the scenery than looking out the window on a flight. Videos are available all the time and sleep is possible on the plane with masks.
Flaps would require additional weight (not good for fuel economy), re-engineering of the seats (additional costs), as a mechanical device, would be more prone to breaking (again, engineering and cost), education (watch how many people actually know how to use the headrest flaps) and only partially effective depending on which window(s) are open. Whereas the shades (electronic or physical) can cover more people. In addition, depending on the airline and aircraft, you have cameras mounted at various angles that you can view through the video system. You might say that those diminish your "user experience" but what about the user experience of the users who you tell to use the eye masks or the non-experience you tell those who want to watch videos or read a book?

BTW, Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Last edited by StuckInYYZ; Jan 21, 2024 at 8:53 pm Reason: ETA
Old Jan 22, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: celestehedequist.com
Hey! Currently on a JFK to LAX flight at 10:30, chilling in business class with my shades up, squeezing in some work (Flyertalk break, of course). What's interesting is, every other business class window shade is down, and it's the same story in coach. Noticed this trend on recent midday flights too. Wondering if shades-down has become the new default. What are your thoughts on this? 🤔✈️
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Most of the world now lives in a phone screen. Amazing views are only viewed through a screen.
moondog and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by EXP100
Most of the world now lives in a phone screen. Amazing views are only viewed through a screen.
sad but true. Though I try not to do that.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
DCA-LAX tomorrow morning, I’m in 2F and I guarandamtee my shade will be up the entire flight
obscure2k, DenverBrian and TGarza like this.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
DCA-LAX tomorrow morning, I’m in 2F and I guarandamtee my shade will be up the entire flight
Might get a great view of the Grand Canyon.
TGarza likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.