Hotel resort fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel resort fees

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2023, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkyLich
Hiding absurdly high VAT rates is intentional because politically, seeing what you're paying the government leads to more resistance to those taxes.

For online sales it's dependent on the shipping destination. 50 states set their own sales tax policies. Even within a state, other levels of govt can impose additional sales taxes. NYC is a prime example.

Still, at its worst it's about 10% in NYC while my state of New Hampshire doesn't charge sales tax at all.

I'll take the mental math challenge over the simplicity of a 20% Aussie sales tax, er, "Value Added" tax any day.
It can be even more complex than that. I live in a small-ish semi-rural city in Washington State. Our sales tax in town is 8.7%. That is made up of a 6.5% state sales tax, + a county sales tax + a city sales tax + a little piece for being within the fire protection district + another little piece for being within "police protection".

Someone who lives 5 blocks west of me would pay a lower sales tax rate because they are outside of the city limits but inside fire protection and police protection. Half a mile farther west, police protection ends, but fire protection continues for another two miles in that direction.

With recent changes to online shopping rules, sales tax is assessed at the location of the transaction if it's in-person, or at the location of the delivery if it's online. A couple of years ago I helped a client set up an online presence to allow his customers to place orders for his products via a website. He's in a smaller town than mine, approximately 16,000 people in the city and another 10,000-ish in the surrounding county. We identified 35 different sales tax rates for customers in his county. That doesn't include customers who live across the river in Oregon - they pay no sales tax if the product is shipped to them, but *do* pay tax if they pick it up at his store.

It's easy for Europeans to say "Why doesn't the USA do it the *simple* way, like us????" While not recognizing that each of the entities in the EU is a *country* with its own government, while the US is a single country with 50 different states - many of which are equivalent to European countries in both population and land area.
SkyLich likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
When will this problem ever be addressed? I understand that in most places, the tax on the resort fee is less than the occupancy rate so the hotel evades some of the tax. But it's getting ridiculous. Not that I'd stay there, but I saw this rate recently at the Stratosphere in LAS.

Price details

1 room x 3 nights
$16 average per night
$48
Taxes and fees
$6
Resort fee
$42 per night
$126
Total
$181

So the room rate is $16 and the resort fee is $42. Most of the time the resort fees will include local calls. Like, who doesn't just use their cell phone? Anyhow. This practice really needs to stop. Check out Kill Resort Fees.
If the $6 tax is based on the room rate, rather than the total amount charged by the hotel, then local governments are being screwed by this practice. Or guests are benefiting from lower taxes, looking at it a different way.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 9:22 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

It's easy for Europeans to say "Why doesn't the USA do it the *simple* way, like us????" While not recognizing that each of the entities in the EU is a *country* with its own government, while the US is a single country with 50 different states - many of which are equivalent to European countries in both population and land area.
Why don't people in the USA have a pack of cigarettes and a cappuccino for breakfast like we do?
red star likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:00 pm

Resort fee and the “ticket processing fee” both hurt!

Booked a ticket for a game, ticket itself was $400+, then they also charged $100 for the “Processing Fee”, ouch.

Yes Ticketmaster, I’m talking about you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.