Travel&Dining

TravelBuzz

Hotel resort fees

Hotel resort fees

Old Jan 7, 22, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Hotel resort fees

When will this problem ever be addressed? I understand that in most places, the tax on the resort fee is less than the occupancy rate so the hotel evades some of the tax. But it's getting ridiculous. Not that I'd stay there, but I saw this rate recently at the Stratosphere in LAS.

Price details

1 room x 3 nights
$16 average per night
$48
Taxes and fees
$6
Resort fee
$42 per night
$126
Total
$181

So the room rate is $16 and the resort fee is $42. Most of the time the resort fees will include local calls. Like, who doesn't just use their cell phone? Anyhow. This practice really needs to stop. Check out Kill Resort Fees.
Old Jan 7, 22, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Resort Fees - The hotel industry learned from the airlines and banks to charge for everything.
Old Jan 7, 22, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by tmorse6570 View Post
So the room rate is $16 and the resort fee is $42. Most of the time the resort fees will include local calls. Like, who doesn't just use their cell phone? Anyhow. This practice really needs to stop. Check out Kill Resort Fees.
Thats small fish. I once bought a MCO-LGW ticket on Virgin where the airfare was $474 with a fuel surcharge of $1250.
polinka, strickerj and CptnInc like this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think this has been rattling around Congress for a few years now: https://www.lx.com/money/congress-ma...ourself/46069/
Old Jan 7, 22, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Not fun - at least Hilton waives resort fees for points stays. Meanwhile mileage tickets with uk still have some uk tax. Brutal.
Iam Jetlagged likes this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 5:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I don't understand the problem. Take the total cost and compare it to the total cost of other places. Include parking if you are planning on using that.

Sometimes similar properties next door to each other will have wildly different prices.

I don't like paying them, but as long as they are disclosed, its just another part of the cost.

Your property charges $181 a night. That allows you to compare it to other properties.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
I don't understand the problem. Take the total cost and compare it to the total cost of other places. Include parking if you are planning on using that.

Sometimes similar properties next door to each other will have wildly different prices.

I don't like paying them, but as long as they are disclosed, its just another part of the cost.

Your property charges $181 a night. That allows you to compare it to other properties.
NO, the total is $181 for three nights.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post

The problem is that it isn't easily comparable. Resort fees are often not disclosed until much further in the booking process. This is an intentional manipulation of search engines to have lower base rate rooms appear higher in a search sorted by room rate. I agree - if the full rate (including resort fees) is disclosed, it's a non-issue. However, they're intentionally gaming the system to make it more difficult for the consumer.
Old Jan 7, 22, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Also, you don’t have to stay there. You can choose a hotel that is more expensive and without resort fees.
Old Jan 7, 22, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
The problem is that it isn't easily comparable. Resort fees are often not disclosed until much further in the booking process. This is an intentional manipulation of search engines to have lower base rate rooms appear higher in a search sorted by room rate. I agree - if the full rate (including resort fees) is disclosed, it's a non-issue. However, they're intentionally gaming the system to make it more difficult for the consumer.
Kayak allows you to see rates as all-in, not just the room rate.
JBa likes this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
Even when a resort fee is shown, it's not a total nonissue for the following reasons:

1. You typically don't earn hotel points on resort fees.

2. You typically don't pay various taxes on resort fees.

3. Resort fees might be waived for award/free nights.

4. Resort fees might be waived for top tier elites.

5.If you book through a travel agent (real live human type/Virtuoso/AmEx FHR), they typically don't earn commissions on hotel resort and destination fees.

Note: When I use a travel agent, I want him/her to be fairly compensated for his/her time at the standard commission rate on the entire price of my hotel room. I also don't want him/her to have incentives to steer me toward or away from particular properties based on the details of the hotel's compensation arrangement.
Tanic, FMDXR, not2017 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 22, 6:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Even when a resort fee is shown, it's not a total nonissue for the following reasons:

1. You typically don't earn hotel points on resort fees.

2. You typically don't pay various taxes on resort fees.

3. Resort fees might be waived for award/free nights.

4. Resort fees might be waived for top tier elites.

5.If you book through a travel agent (real live human type/Virtuoso/AmEx FHR), they typically don't earn commissions on hotel resort and destination fees.

Note: When I use a travel agent, I want him/her to be fairly compensated for his/her time at the standard commission rate on the entire price of my hotel room. I also don't want him/her to have incentives to steer me toward or away from particular properties based on the details of the hotel's compensation arrangement.
I know they suck but thats part of the game. Marriott charges resort fees on awards stays, Hilton doesnt, so if you dont want to pay resort fees use Hilton points. I dont see what something must be done is about.

I usually avoid hotels with resort fees but have been known to stay there if it was somewhere I wanted to stay and the price is competitive with the competition. Just like I usually avoid all inclusives and that fee but sometimes I dont. One time I actually negotiated away the resort fees.
Old Jan 7, 22, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
What is this "book through a travel agent" odd phrasing I am hearing? What is this you speak of?
Old Jan 7, 22, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Resort fees are just a means to jack up cost of a stay while doing very little to earn those dollars. Should be abolished. If the resort fee is a legit cost then add it to the room rate.
Old Jan 7, 22, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
travel agent...LOL yeah I haven't heard that word since "fax"

Anyway I too, think it's BS. Just be transparent and give us the all in price.

Annoying.
milski and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread