Wiki Posts
Search

Actual Airport Names versus Airline Marketed Names

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Actually Oslo’s main airport, Gardemoen, is only 35km from Oslo. The one Ryanair describe as Oslo, TRF, is 110km away!

On the flip side, Ryanair used to fly to Gothenburg City Airport, a mere 9km from the city centre, when all the main carriers flew into Landvetter, a whole 20km(!) away.
I don't know I flew into Gardemoen the one time I went to Oslo and it might be 35km as the bird flies but it seemed like a long way away (and looks like it on a map)!
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:51 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Stealing a page from Ryanair's book, couldn't any of the three major Dutch airports be named after the three cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, or Eindhoven? I know that AMS is very close to downtown Amsterdam, but given the ease of traveling around the Netherlands by public transit/good infrastructure, I say this only partially tongue-in-cheek.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Well this new airport name is a mouthful: West Virginia International Yeager Airport. They can change the airport code to W T F, which is available. Chuck must be spinning.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
Then there’s Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport, which could be anywhere west of the Apalachicola River.

The airport authority wanted to call it Northwest Florida - Panama City International, but pressure from the public and the AIRLINES led them to pick the current name.

And how do airlines market it? As Panama City, of course!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the other confusing FL airport- when I flew in and out of there eons ago I believe the code was FTM and the airlines listed it as Ft. Myers. No problem on arrival but when I was returning the rental car before going home I kept looking for signs to Ft. Myers Airport. None- just" Southwest Florida International Airport". I correctly concluded that was my destination. I read that they were not within Ft. Myers city limits and refused to pay to use the city in the airport name.

I see it's now RSW.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
Dulles was originally coded "DIA" for "Dulles International Airport"; when it opened for commercial service ~1962, 20-some miles from pretty much anything in the (then-much-smaller) metro area, many DC-area locals mockingly referred to it as "Dullest"
I believe DIA was changed to IAD because there was confusion (especially on handwritten materials) with DCA.

Which brings up the questionable habit of Denver media and sometimes locals referring to DEN as "DIA". I believe I read somewhere that they requested the code and were denied, but use it anyway informally. I always think of Dulles first and have to read more context to realize they're talking about Denver. Fine for strictly local conversation, but a lot of news stories and snippets appear nationally.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
In the Philippines, some airlines market Clark airport as Manila, even though it is in Angeles City which is 68 miles (approx 2 hours driving due to traffic) away from Manila.

Also WNP is marketed as Naga, when it is actually in Pili which is approx 15 miles away.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What is the formal process to get this changed w airlines? So many misuse or leave out the appropriate name of the cities on departure boards and gates. It is devastating for local communities and their economic engines that pay for these airport services to begin with. Aside from emailing the useless bit email addresses, any other avenues to get things changed for the communities that deserve their proper name mentioned?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What is the formal process to get this changed w airlines? So many misuse or leave out the appropriate name of the cities on departure boards and gates. It is devastating for local communities and their economic engines that pay for these airport services to begin with. Aside from emailing the useless bit email addresses, any other avenues to get things changed for the communities that deserve their proper name mentioned?
Unless there is some sort of contractual obligation in the airport lease, or some other local statute, the airline could (probably) call the airport whatever it wants.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-12303278.php

This one (which didn't happen) raised quite the chuckle in these parts a few years ago.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Unless there is some sort of contractual obligation in the airport lease, or some other local statute, the airline could (probably) call the airport whatever it wants.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-12303278.php

This one (which didn't happen) raised quite the chuckle in these parts a few years ago.
Boston should complain about MHT being called "Manchester Boston Regional Airport". It's about 50 miles from Boston, and has caused me problems when our travel department didn't realize that hotels that claim to be near "Manchester Boston Airport" are nowhere near BOS. They are, however, much cheaper and have more availability.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I mean, sure, but it's still 45 miles an 1+ hours from LA. "Ontario Airport" done.
The current name is simply "Ontario International Airport".

Airlines may market it as LA to reduce confusion of people who are more familiar with Ontario, Canada than with Ontario, CA, especially if their final destination is La Cañada.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
The current name is simply "Ontario International Airport".

Airlines may market it as LA to reduce confusion of people who are more familiar with Ontario, Canada than with Ontario, CA, especially if their final destination is La Cañada.
What happens when they want to take the "LA-Canada" freeway?

David
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by DELee
What happens when they want to take the "LA-Canada" freeway?

David
They get stuck in terrible traffic, whether or not they actually find the freeway they think they're looking for.

Duh. The answer is obvious!
chrisl137 and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Emeryville is actually ... generally northwest of most of Oakland and northwest of OAK, and North, Northwest, West, and South of Oakland. It is also south of the western end of Berkeley. But those far wiser than us know that somewhere, we must have missed the Oakland International Airport during thousands of times we've passed through Emeryville.

Now, I can recall when the Fresno Air Terminal decided to become the Fresno Yosemite International Airport. Is this like DFW or MSP, i.e., pretty much between two cities? Um, no. Does the unfamiliar visitor expect a 150+ minute drive, in good conditions, to get to Yosemite Valley from the FAT terminal? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. I've not been to FAT since 1985 or so, still scarred from the lost luggage on that trip.
FAT is actually the airport with regular service to closest Yosemite. When I flew there in 2019, a lot of Yosemite tourists actually used it.

Originally Posted by nd2010
Many airlines refer to EWR as New York.
I have seen RFD referred to as Chicago/Rockford even though it’s 90 miles from Chicago
RFD calls itself that. More Chicago residents would probably use it if ORD wasn't already on that side of the metro area and less than an hour away from RFD.

Last edited by Putnik; Sep 12, 2021 at 11:44 pm
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fastflyer
AA does indeed have irreconciled systems/ databases. Their smartphone app used to default to MKC as the nearest airport when location services is turned on in the KC metropolitan area. But then it cannot find any flights or status, because MKC has not been operational for commercial, scheduled air service since the 1960s. You have to over-write the pre-populated airport code with MCI.
I think Turkish Airlines still takes the award for picking the wrong default airport. If you're in Santa Clara, California (nearest airport SJC, or SFO for the nearest that TK flies to) it will default to flights from "Adel Santamaria Airport, Santa Clara, Cuba (SNU)"

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If you want a confusing one - the airport that serves Gold Coast, Australia (OOL) is in two different Australian States (Queensland and New South Wales).
But with about 99.9% of the airport terminal located in QLD, and thus technically the Gold Coast, the "Gold Coast Airport" name does actually make sense, even if the IATA code no longer fits (OOL comes from the old name of the airport, "Coolangatta Airport", named after the city that half of it is in on the QLD side. The other half being in Tweed Heads, NSW)

To further confuse the DIA tag mentioned above, Darwin International Airport (DRW) in Australia is also often referrer to as DIA.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion, AS MVP, F9 Elite 20K, Hilton Diamond
Spirit sells BWI as Washington, DC on their website. For a long time, they also sold FLL “Ft. Lauderdale/Miami” but they don’t appear to do it anymore, likely since they’re set to start serving the actual MIA later this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.