FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Actual Airport Names versus Airline Marketed Names
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:02 am
Putnik

Programs: WN A list, UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott LT Gold, IHG Platinum, National EE, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Emeryville is actually ... generally northwest of most of Oakland and northwest of OAK, and North, Northwest, West, and South of Oakland. It is also south of the western end of Berkeley. But those far wiser than us know that somewhere, we must have missed the Oakland International Airport during thousands of times we've passed through Emeryville.

Now, I can recall when the Fresno Air Terminal decided to become the Fresno Yosemite International Airport. Is this like DFW or MSP, i.e., pretty much between two cities? Um, no. Does the unfamiliar visitor expect a 150+ minute drive, in good conditions, to get to Yosemite Valley from the FAT terminal? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. I've not been to FAT since 1985 or so, still scarred from the lost luggage on that trip.
FAT is actually the airport with regular service to closest Yosemite. When I flew there in 2019, a lot of Yosemite tourists actually used it.

Originally Posted by nd2010
Many airlines refer to EWR as New York.
I have seen RFD referred to as Chicago/Rockford even though it’s 90 miles from Chicago
RFD calls itself that. More Chicago residents would probably use it if ORD wasn't already on that side of the metro area and less than an hour away from RFD.

Last edited by Putnik; Sep 12, 2021 at 11:44 pm