Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus - what are companies doing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cards1234
We will see in a few days how it spreads and will know much more
The first case reported in Germany was a worker based there infected by a Chinese colleague who was visiting from Shanghai- except that she'd recently been with family who live in Wuhan. She appeared healthy but developed symptoms on her flight home. Here's a link from Scientific American- I got the Wuhan detail from Tagesschau, a German news podcast.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...omatic-person/

I'd say employers should err on the side of caution.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Virus particles aren't really going to be floating free in the air anyway. They're carried in water droplets from coughs and sneezes, and those are almost universally larger than 5 micron, with most much larger. A filter that stops 0.5 micron particles is going to be fine for that. When I was looking through some published reports, medical workers who wore N95 masks in environments where they were caring for people with related viruses contracted them at much lower rates. But if you don't have good bio lab hygiene in addition to the mask (washing hands, gloves, keeping hands away from your face) then you can transmit a virus from a surface to yourself despite the mask. And if you're in an environment that has a low probability of the virus even being present (i.e. most places outside of the coronavirus ward at the hospital) it's not going to make much difference. Preventing spread from the source by having sick people wear masks will have more effect than having healthy people wear masks everywhere.
I am betting that it’s not limited to being spread by just water droplets in cough and sneezes. Given what medical researchers have said, I would suspect that this stuff may also be spread by more than just saliva and upper respiratory tract expulsions — especially as leaping from animal feces to humans has happened with previous zooish coronaviruses and thus suggest that contact with human fecal matter can also be a vector to spread it. If you want to ask how often people come in contact with fecal matter from other people, the answer is way more than most people realize: those seats you sit on, those bathroom door handles/locks and fixtures, pump-action soap-dispensers, used toilet paper rolls, and perhaps even at times from electronics such as remote controls, cell phones and laptops that are shared.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am betting that it’s not limited to being spread by just water droplets in cough and sneezes. Given what medical researchers have said, I would suspect that this stuff may also be spread by more than just saliva and upper respiratory tract expulsions — especially as leaping from animal feces to humans has happened with previous zooish coronaviruses and thus suggest that contact with human fecal matter can also be a vector to spread it. If you want to ask how often people come in contact with fecal matter from other people, the answer is way more than most people realize: those seats you sit on, those bathroom door handles/locks and fixtures, pump-action soap-dispensers, used toilet paper rolls, and perhaps even at times from electronics such as remote controls, cell phones and laptops that are shared.
All of which is why good hand-washing hygiene and keeping your hands away from your eyes/nose/mouth are likely more effective than a mask.
GUWonder and Beltway2A like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Just received an email from the NSW Chamber of Commerce. This was the last point.

However, in this event, the employer should pay for the employee to see the doctor as well as for their time away from the workplace if the employee does not agree to take paid leave. The employer will be responsible for paying the employee until such time as medical confirmation is obtained that the employee is unfit for work. Once an employee is certified as unfit, then the employee can be required to take a form of leave (whether paid or unpaid).
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: BA, SQ
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Just received an email from the NSW Chamber of Commerce. This was the last point.

However, in this event, the employer should pay for the employee to see the doctor as well as for their time away from the workplace if the employee does not agree to take paid leave. The employer will be responsible for paying the employee until such time as medical confirmation is obtained that the employee is unfit for work. Once an employee is certified as unfit, then the employee can be required to take a form of leave (whether paid or unpaid).
Is that legally binding? Looks more like "recommendations" by the Chamber of Commerce e.g. try to get away with your employee's using their paid leave first and if not you're most likely have to pay them regardless....
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
Is that legally binding? Looks more like "recommendations" by the Chamber of Commerce e.g. try to get away with your employee's using their paid leave first and if not you're most likely have to pay them regardless....
just a recommendation. I get we dont want virus to spread but a small business paying for doctors then 2 weeks off?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:50 pm

What are passengers doing at US airports

I haven't flown since mid-January and won't until later in the month so I have no recent experience.

Are many people wearing masks at major US airports, such as JFK, ORD, DEN, PHX, SEA, SFO, LAX? Or does it vary between airports? (Maybe fewer at DFW and more at JFK?)

Are many people wearing masks on US domestic flights?

Should I get a mask? Was also thinking of gloves so that I can take off gloves when eating.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A318neo
Are many people wearing masks at major US airports, such as JFK, ORD, DEN, PHX, SEA, SFO, LAX? Or does it vary between airports? (Maybe fewer at DFW and more at JFK?)

I've been through LAX, PDX, and IAH domestic terminals this week and there are some masks, but not a lot.

Wash your hands regularly.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW the mask itself does not provide any protection from the virus. It can freely flow through the mask. The only protection it offers is that it prevents one from touching their mouth with their hands/fingers.
lets look at some facts: most masks you see airline passengers wearing are a complete and utter joke, insufficient, or not properly worn

i would aim for a certified n100 or p100 respirator which would filter out 99.7% IF worn correctly but fact is the disposable type don't make the best seal even if attempted to be worn properly

definitely dont touch mouth, nose, eyes, etc

if you have runny eyes, wear an eye mask as airborne particles can possibly enter through eyes

so in summary, a proper mask, worn properly, and other precautions taken, you can protect yourself from the virus but not 100%
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by A318neo
I haven't flown since mid-January and won't until later in the month so I have no recent experience.

Should I get a mask? Was also thinking of gloves so that I can take off gloves when eating.
as for eating, eating in a potential area with infected people is a no-no. so if you really want to be cautious, you wouldnt be eating anything on an airplane... main reasons are because food can be exposed and you would have to remove your mask/protections to eat thus exposing yourself.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The pax next to me last night IAH-LAX had a mask (surgical type, not respirator) on. She seemed to have a very mild cold and was probably wearing it to avoid spreading it. She didn't talk much and I didn't ask. She coughed a little with a cough that sounded like a cold, but wasn't really very cough-y or sneezy.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Next week in Singapore will be interesting.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
last Levening there was an email sent to every employee our corporate office in Singapore requesting to fill travel declaration form documenting recent (14 days) travel to/from China, including transit, for both business/leisure. In the corresponding email it was said that request came from ministry of health and it was sent to every employer in Singapore.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Son in Law works for a billion dollar world wide known company. They are sending him to Thailand in two weeks. They say they have investigated everything and they should be safe. Hmm.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:47 am

Finnish-Swedish pulp, paper and forest products manufacturer Stora Enso did yesterday announce that they have banned their employees to travel by air for this month. Air travel ban does not apply to free time, only work trips, although they may still suggest telecommunting for a while if one has spent time in areas where there is significant infection risks. Stora Enso has some production in China too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.