Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus - what are companies doing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
A friend’s son goes to a USA college with a China campus. He was home for the December holidays and now has rolling 1-week delays for returning to China.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
FWIW the mask itself does not provide any protection from the virus. It can freely flow through the mask. The only protection it offers is that it prevents one from touching their mouth with their hands/fingers.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
FWIW the mask itself does not provide any protection from the virus. It can freely flow through the mask. The only protection it offers is that it prevents one from touching their mouth with their hands/fingers.
I wouldn't say it's entirely useless. If you would have breathed in 100 individual virus particles but the mask traps 80 and reduces it to 20, maybe you still get sick, but your immune system responds with a lower viral load since everything starts off with fewer viruses to begin with. Sure, it's not 100% effective, but even a reduction in the number of particles you breathe in can be helpful.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some airlines are suspending flights while others are spraying down cabins, removing in-flight magazines, stopping hot food service, going to disposable glasses/utensils in response to the Wuhan coronavirus concerns.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Not work but in Australia the Government has advised parents not to send kids to school for 2 weeks if they have just returned from China.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Not work but in Australia the Government has advised parents not to send kids to school for 2 weeks if they have just returned from China.
The are now saying this - as per newspaper article
The Federal Government says unless a child has been in direct contact with someone who has the virus or is showing symptoms, they can go to school or a childcare centre.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cards1234
The are now saying this - as per newspaper article
The Federal Government says unless a child has been in direct contact with someone who has the virus or is showing symptoms, they can go to school or a childcare centre.
Australian federal government said that?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Our company has:
-- cancelled all non-essential travel to China
-- Any non-residents currently in China may leave immediately even if not yet scheduled to
-- Anyone returning from China MUST work from home for 14 days after return
Old Jan 29, 2020, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I for one am going to have my Coronavirus with some Lyme disease.

I'll show myself out.
84fiero, chrisl137 and Kiara like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
So in the light of current ongoing developments, the standard response from multinational companies with offices in China is:
- Shut down all local offices and ask employees to work from home
- Evacuate non-local staff
- Defer all travel to China
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:24 am

I work for a large law firm with offices in Hong Kong and Beijing, with satellite offices across mainland China.

Current advice is that all non essential business travel to and from China is prohibited. All employees who are currently in Hong Kong or China, whether for work or holiday, must work from home for a period of one week after returning to the UK.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: LH M+M
Customer (Cargo/Containervessels), paraphrased
- limit travel to CN to "business critical", use phone/skype/..
- if return from CN, self-quarantine at home for 14d
- offices in HKG and CN closed along the official line (e.g. 2nd or 9th of February), call for homeoffice

And in newspaper Hapag-Lloyd announced that crew landing CN ports are not allowed to disembark -
or get "visitors"/new crew aboard.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by STS-134
I wouldn't say it's entirely useless. If you would have breathed in 100 individual virus particles but the mask traps 80 and reduces it to 20, maybe you still get sick, but your immune system responds with a lower viral load since everything starts off with fewer viruses to begin with. Sure, it's not 100% effective, but even a reduction in the number of particles you breathe in can be helpful.
Virus particles aren't really going to be floating free in the air anyway. They're carried in water droplets from coughs and sneezes, and those are almost universally larger than 5 micron, with most much larger. A filter that stops 0.5 micron particles is going to be fine for that. When I was looking through some published reports, medical workers who wore N95 masks in environments where they were caring for people with related viruses contracted them at much lower rates. But if you don't have good bio lab hygiene in addition to the mask (washing hands, gloves, keeping hands away from your face) then you can transmit a virus from a surface to yourself despite the mask. And if you're in an environment that has a low probability of the virus even being present (i.e. most places outside of the coronavirus ward at the hospital) it's not going to make much difference. Preventing spread from the source by having sick people wear masks will have more effect than having healthy people wear masks everywhere.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Am I stupid for wanting to go to Thailand?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Am I stupid for wanting to go to Thailand?
When and where? Now and next couple of weeks - mostly fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.