Search

Coronavirus - what are companies doing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
Originally Posted by deniah
sending their least favorite employees to china
you do realize that if the said employees can prove that, the company will be sued for millions, right?
Vangrovsky-bot fails the "recognizes humor" part of the Turing test.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by nerd
Russians and Germans are known for their humor... or the lack of... or the ability to give or provide humor in any situation, humorous or non-humorous.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
agree. Some bots And people have no humor
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

What precautions are being taken inside the offices. If working with people from China or who have travelled to the affected areas?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Cards1234
What precautions are being taken inside the offices. If working with people from China or who have travelled to the affected areas?
Beside that about basic hygiene and health, perhaps Informing employees that it's not an open door to discriminate and exclude healthy people?

Precautions against litigation are part and parcel of employer practices in the US.
YuropFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
you do realize that if the said employees can prove that, the company will be sued for millions, right?
I’m pretty sure he was joking.

yeah, I’m sure.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Beside that about basic hygiene and health, perhaps Informing employees that it's not an open door to discriminate and exclude healthy people?

Precautions against litigation are part and parcel of employer practices in the US.
It’s not the threat of litigation but doing something to keep the staff feeling safe at work. In the case where there might be employees come back to work from being in China for the new year.
Perception can be reality and everyone should feel safe at work.

Can you ask the people coming back to work from China to work from home for 1 or 2 weeks?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM
The State Department has issued a statement that the flight will depart Tuesday directly for San Francisco. What the next step is, after delivering a plane load of people from Wuhan to SFO is anybody’s guess. Take their temperature and send them on their way? I can find no information other than “US medical personnel will be on board to ensure anyone who may be infected does not spread it to anyone else.” With an incubation period up to 14 days, how are they going to do that? As someone scheduled to fly out of SFO on Wednesday, I’d like more details.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What’s the latent period between becoming infected and becoming infectious with this Wuhan coronavirus?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What’s the latent period between becoming infected and becoming infectious with this Wuhan coronavirus?
According to South China Morning Post today:

“...China’s National Health Commission (NHC) said on Sunday that the new coronavirus is contagious even in its incubation period, which lasts up to 14 days, and that the virus’ ability to spread is getting stronger...”

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...-chinas-health

14 days. That’s a long time to be walking around seemingly healthy but potentially contagious.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:32 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Back to subject.

I am at global company with close to 100K people with offices in Shanghai and Beijing where not only locals, but there are number of expats.

Department responsible for 'physical security' (yes, there is such) sent email on Friday, right before CNY saying that there are no extra precaution at this moment in place. Beijing and Shanghai offices are closed this week anyway.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: NIL
"across the nations" and a mask? Well..

Anyway, having to go to Asia in March, all bookings are now done with no/low refund rates.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:04 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by dalehill
According to South China Morning Post today:

“...China’s National Health Commission (NHC) said on Sunday that the new coronavirus is contagious even in its incubation period, which lasts up to 14 days, and that the virus’ ability to spread is getting stronger...”

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...-chinas-health

14 days. That’s a long time to be walking around seemingly healthy but potentially contagious.
If the transmission is between 1.2-3 and as noted 14 days of contagious before knowing or being diagnosed you should see a doubling every 10 days, so take a look at the plot and double twice a month, the actual curve is pretty close right now. Then it will stabilize either as we get immunity and/or we fully isolated all transmitters.

My son's company recalled everyone from China, he came home last week, my company requires corporate approval for any travel and also effectively recalling everyone.

Other companies with big operations in Wuhan are really scrambling to set protocal and manage business continuity, a 10x of the move Outbreak, LOL
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chipmaster
If the transmission is between 1.2-3 and as noted 14 days of contagious before knowing or being diagnosed you should see a doubling every 10 days, so take a look at the plot and double twice a month, the actual curve is pretty close right now. Then it will stabilize either as we get immunity and/or we fully isolated all transmitters.

My son's company recalled everyone from China, he came home last week, my company requires corporate approval for any travel and also effectively recalling everyone.

Other companies with big operations in Wuhan are really scrambling to set protocal and manage business continuity, a 10x of the move Outbreak, LOL
We will see in a few days how it spreads and will know much more
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Came today
===>
- Defer all travel to Hubei Province, Mainland China.

- Defer non-essential travel to the rest of Mainland China, outside Hubei Province.
===>
Pretty much what CDC recommends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.