Reload this Page >

The Lav Straddle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Lav Straddle

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:37 pm

It is possible that with some (lazy) people, and even if you wake them up, they will simply sit up in their seat (as if that changes things any), pause for a second and then look up at you like "well, are you going or not going"???

I will straddle in that case.. But as soon as I have one leg over and settled on the aisle side, I reach down and grab myself pretending I almost lost it...
TheBarron likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Diamond on Delta; Lifetime Titanium Bonvoy
The big wave

I've had many instances in FC of the aisle passenger being so anesthetized by the entertainment screen that they seem to lose peripheral vision. I'll twist around toward them, move my underseat stuff, sit forward and eventually start waving my hands and then arms closer and closer to their face to get their attention.

I have short legs and resent very much the lazy bumb who won't get out of their aisle seat, might twist themselves a little sideways, but still forcing me to climb over them.With the seat in front reclined, too, it's nearly impossible to do this with any grace. Does he (it's always a guy) want me to fall into his lap?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by GregLeg
Or physically CAN'T get up. Don't assume everyone who remains seated just isn't willing to move.

(Yes, I do the Lav Straddle when I get up, especially if I'm flying with my wife who requires an aisle chair to board and deplane.)
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way, but it was my own mother who refused to get up for me.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:42 am

I’m another one who always gets up when the aisle person gets up. Last year I did this, and the aisle person never returned. It was a mystery.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
Originally Posted by Swanky Safari
I always take an aisle seat so I don't have to ask someone to move.
Same here with the aisle seat.
With the frequency I get up they tend to go when I get up.. many times I've returned to my seat to find the window seat person has gotten up too.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I have to use the lav a lot and always book an aisle seat. Sometimes only windows are available though when I clear the upgrade list or if I do a Same Day confirm.

I figure if only windows are available the person in the aisle already booked it and don't have an issue waking them up if I have to go. If they don't want waken up they should have booked a window seat. I don't have an issue being woken up if the person in the window has to go since I booked the aisle and figure that is the price that comes with an aisle seat.

If someone has an active bladder they should book an aisle seat if it's available when booking or being upgraded.
Swanky Safari likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Taker Park
Sorry, I didn't mean it that way, but it was my own mother who refused to get up for me.
Ooof. Well, in that case, just give her a nudge and the old stink-eye as you climb over

(And no offense taken, just pointing out that sometimes there are reasons people don't move other than "too darn lazy..." )
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by GregLeg
Ooof. Well, in that case, just give her a nudge and the old stink-eye as you climb over

(And no offense taken, just pointing out that sometimes there are reasons people don't move other than "too darn lazy..." )
It's all good. I fixed it for this year's vacation: I bought international business class tickets so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:45 pm

As a rule for me..whenever aisle gets up, I get up as well. If they don't, I just make sure they're awake. I'm slim, limber and not a huge person, I'd straddle easily, but I don't.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If someone has an active bladder they should book an aisle seat if it's available when booking or being upgraded.
Maybe that should be an option when booking. Do you have an active bladder? Then up pops available aisle seats I haven't had a window seat in years but if I gotta go and am at a window, they ARE getting up or I'll crawl over them. Slim and limber too.
What a shame this is how flying has become. Remembering when we got meals, bigger seats etc. When I first started flying 40+ years ago.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:37 am
Formerly known as tonivitanza
Original Poster

Reactions

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
You say 'wake me' or 'I can't control my reaction'.

Others - especially snorers - say 'if you dare wake us we can't control our actions' (some snorers even say they will punch someone who wakes them).

What is it with people unable to control their reactions on a plane?

And how do we ordinary folk manage the minefield of wake v no-wake??

Victims of rape might not be able to predict how they might react.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:15 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
I'm an aisle only person and part of my quick conversation with the window person is to tell them to shake my shoulder if they need to get out while I'm asleep.

I was absolutely amazed by one person who didn't move from her seat for the 9+ hours of the BKK-SYD flight.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I like the window-for viewing and to rest against it. I can usually handle up to 5 hours without getting up. I do DVT exercises in my seat. Otherwise, I will ask the other person(s) to get up or get up when they do. At 6' 5" and 275, there is no squeezing by.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
SCToni - thanks for the morning laugh. Not a lovely picture there that you painted. Gives a different twist fo "buttface".

I was on a flight once where a few rows ahead of me a particularly buxom young lady was stepping over the guy in the aisle seat. She was facing him and he was sound asleep. We hit turbulence and she landed "pillows first" into his face. I burst out laughing. Not intentionally, it just came rolling out... At first the pax was upset, then pleased, then embarrassed. She was mortified and ran down the aisle to the Lav. I wondered how the rest of their flight went, and if they met later for a date, since the preliminaries had already been made.

I like your recommendation of talking about it prior to takeoff. That's such a simple and respectful way to handle it. Some will say step over me, some will ask to be nudged. Everyone's different.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: Peasant at large
The few times I flew domestic in China and India, pax will lav straddle even during boarding if you're not quick about getting up. Doesn't matter if it's C or Y, male or female, though I've never seen a female do it in India. If you board early for an aisle seat and don't like the idea of 1-2 strangers doing this to you, be prepared to get up quickly or hold them back while you get up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.