Wiki Posts
Search

The Lav Straddle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:02 am
Formerly known as tonivitanza
Original Poster

The Lav Straddle

Seriously, don’t do this. If the aisle passenger is asleep, just wake them up. I actually talk this over before takeoff, esp. on a longer flight. If I’m window or middle, I ASK my rowmates how to best awaken them in case I must. If I’m on the aisle, I tell them how to wake me and insist they do so if I’m asleep and they need to get up. Honestly, no joke, if I awaken to find someone straddling me with a crotch or butt in my face, I can’t guarantee how I’ll respond.
luv2vacay likes this.

Last edited by SCToni; Aug 22, 2019 at 7:05 am Reason: Missing words
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm glad you mention it to people- I'm pretty limber and usually attempt it to avoid waking someone up. (I also try to time my lav visits to avoid it- if the middle or aisle person gets up to use the lav I head there, too if there's any chance I might need to use it during the rest of the flight.
ajGoes, GregLeg and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
And there was me thinking this thread was going to be a discussion of the best way for men to stand over the toilet during turbulence!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:53 am

Works until you have a seat mate that refuses to get up if you need to go.
DutchessPDX, cawhite and TheBarron like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
And there was me thinking this thread was going to be a discussion of the best way for men to stand over the toilet during turbulence!
been in the forward lav on a 739? save for how much you lean over, there really isn't a "best way"
Old Aug 26, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Red face

Originally Posted by Taker Park
Straddle and spill some water in their lap when they are sleeping. "Oops. Sorry."
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Are there really people so insolent? Never mind, I read social media. I guess just hit the call button and have the FA be your voice.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Delta
In today's day and age I don't want to be that passenger who wakes up a teenager while I am lav-straddling them. Jesus, it's a human function...wake the person up.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by SCToni
Seriously, don’t do this. If the aisle passenger is asleep, just wake them up. I actually talk this over before takeoff, esp. on a longer flight. If I’m window or middle, I ASK my rowmates how to best awaken them in case I must. If I’m on the aisle, I tell them how to wake me and insist they do so if I’m asleep and they need to get up. Honestly, no joke, if I awaken to find someone straddling me with a crotch or butt in my face, I can’t guarantee how I’ll respond.
You say 'wake me' or 'I can't control my reaction'.

Others - especially snorers - say 'if you dare wake us we can't control our actions' (some snorers even say they will punch someone who wakes them).

What is it with people unable to control their reactions on a plane?

And how do we ordinary folk manage the minefield of wake v no-wake??
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:23 am

I'm amazed at the people that go long flights without ever hitting the lav. Like 12 to 15 hours. I always try to wait for my seat mates to make their trip so I don't have to disturb them, but that doesn't always work out.
On a recent 14+ hour flight to Korea I was in the window seat and around 4 hours in, after the meal service but while my seat mates were still awake I put my stuff away, folded the tray table, and said "sorry" in English and Korean while pointing and looking aft. The older lady next to me just stared blankly at me until her daughter explained to her at length that I needed to get up. She chose to just fold her legs and I had to disturb the people reclined in front of us and do the lav straddle.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:28 am

I always take an aisle seat so I don't have to ask someone to move.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: CX MPC DM
Originally Posted by pmiranda
I'm amazed at the people that go long flights without ever hitting the lav. Like 12 to 15 hours. I always try to wait for my seat mates to make their trip so I don't have to disturb them, but that doesn't always work out.
I did this once on JAL, TYO-JFK, back in '04. I was in a middle seat in J, 2-3-2 configuration. I'm still amazed that happened but I was younger and foolish-er!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Million Miler Gold, BA, UA
In short, I go when they go.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: United Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Lufhtansa Miles and More, British Airways Executive Club.
For those with bad backs

I'm so glad someone is talking about this. I fly United Business Class where the configuration is usually 2-1-2 in a 767. They are now upgrading their aircraft to the business suites where every seat is on an aisle. This eliminates the need to step over your fellow passenger. About one year ago I was seated at my favorite window seat and had to go to the Lav. I didn't want to wake up my neighbor, so I stepped over his flat bed and did my business. After landing and checking into my hotel in London, I started having lower back pain. I had aggravated my herniated L-4, and spent the next 3 days in my room. Now I always take the aisle seat.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:25 am

Or physically CAN'T get up. Don't assume everyone who remains seated just isn't willing to move.

(Yes, I do the Lav Straddle when I get up, especially if I'm flying with my wife who requires an aisle chair to board and deplane.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.