Wiki Posts
Search

What Do You Read?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

What Do You Read?

Hi there,

Whilst my question isn't strictly BA related, I do wish to ask for some advice from the FlyerTalk BA community.

My profession is teaching (maths), however I have a great interest in finance, current events, global markets, economy etc. En route to Chicago, when I was in the CCR at the beginning of July, I picked up a copy of MoneyWeek. Wish, I sort of enjoy although felt a little out my depth, although I was able to sort of pick up some of it. I also got a copy of Fortune magazine which I liked.

I know a lot of people in this forum will be business travelers with an interest in keeping up to date with financial markets and current events and I was wondering what you recommend? I would like some inspiration as all I do is read BBC News. My hobbies would be as stated above, plus travelling. I'd happily sit and watch a 90 minute documentary about the global financial crisis of 2007/2008, finding it fascinating (embarrassing to admit!).

My hotel in Chicago had complementary copies of the Wall Street Journal - which again, I liked.

I don't invest at all, I have some savings so maybe would like to dabble with small quantities in the future, but I am not looking necessary for a guide on how to invest.

I have done a bit of research and have came up with a list. Your thoughts? Thank you!

Lonely Planet
The Economist
MoneyWeek
Wall Street Journal
Time
Bloomberg Businessweek
Conde Nast Traveler
The New York Times
A UK Newspaper (Which is best... Th Guardian, The Times... The Independent?).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:30 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Unfortunately there really isn’t enough BA content in this to justify keeping it in the BA forum, so we’ll move it over to our Travelbuzz forum.

/mod
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My essentials are

- London Playbook - I never miss that, Jack Blanchard's style is really good
- The FT longer articles, I take the view that anything they give 6 paragraphs to can be skipped. So The Big Read material and commentaries. Boo to BA for stopping their supply in the UK.
- The Economist, perfect for flying and I keep that on my Kindle
- One May and His Dog - explains everything.
- International New York Times - better on Kindle since it avoid the continued on to page 5, 7, 13 syndrome
- Christian Science Monitor - on the BA Pressreader service - it's not actually very religious but it can be compelling, original perspectives on issues that get overlooked. E.g. an interview with CAPCOM of Apollo 11 fame.
- and I'll have to say the Hexham Courant or I'll get into trouble.

I must admit I do with BA were a bit more customer focused on this, rather than sniping away at the edges all the time. It is part of the service, but increasingly the airline seems to regard it as an impediment. Having just The Times and Sun in lounges isn't a good look but the airline doesn't seem to worry about that. Having said that effectively BA does provide free access to all but 2 of the above.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
In a valiant attempt to keep this BA related, I can recommend:
  • The Economist: there are regular Avios offers to pick up a few thousand Avios with a subscription. The content is always written at a level that doesn't require much/any pre-knowledge of the subject, so their finance/business articles are more accessible than some, and usually quite interesting.
  • Business Traveller: available in the BA lounges, quite a quick read but usually some interesting updates about the travel industry and some opinion pieces that are usually worth the read.
(Edit: my attempt came too late!)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
(Edit: my attempt came too late!)
Mine too, they're hot on the button tonight!
Deltus likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the efforts guys! I will check some of these out.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by shnprst
Hi there,

Whilst my question isn't strictly BA related, I do wish to ask for some advice from the FlyerTalk BA community.

My profession is teaching (maths), however I have a great interest in finance, current events, global markets, economy etc. En route to Chicago, when I was in the CCR at the beginning of July, I picked up a copy of MoneyWeek. Wish, I sort of enjoy although felt a little out my depth, although I was able to sort of pick up some of it. I also got a copy of Fortune magazine which I liked.

I know a lot of people in this forum will be business travelers with an interest in keeping up to date with financial markets and current events and I was wondering what you recommend? I would like some inspiration as all I do is read BBC News. My hobbies would be as stated above, plus travelling. I'd happily sit and watch a 90 minute documentary about the global financial crisis of 2007/2008, finding it fascinating (embarrassing to admit!).

My hotel in Chicago had complementary copies of the Wall Street Journal - which again, I liked.

I don't invest at all, I have some savings so maybe would like to dabble with small quantities in the future, but I am not looking necessary for a guide on how to invest.

I have done a bit of research and have came up with a list. Your thoughts? Thank you!

Lonely Planet
The Economist
MoneyWeek
Wall Street Journal
Time
Bloomberg Businessweek
Conde Nast Traveler
The New York Times
A UK Newspaper (Which is best... Th Guardian, The Times... The Independent?).
Can’t go wrong with The Economist! Its solid analyses, concise writing, and dry sense of humor have me coming back for more. I usually read the politics and business this week section and skim thru until I find sections that peak my interest and peruse them. If you want top notch analyses on global events especially relating to finance and economics, then I suggest The Financial Times, which I believe is the gold standard at the moment.

Last edited by flyinggum; Jul 21, 2019 at 6:08 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I rate the WSJ (US edition) above the FT and The Economist for relevant current biz info. The Economist is great for background info but a)it always seems rather chippy for my taste and b) it's more theoretical than practical.

The FT is great but, in common with HM Treasury, pretty well everything it predicts is wide of the mark.

For investing insight you could do worse than reading the monthly updates from top investors - think Nick Train, Walter Price, the resources published by Baillie Gifford etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.