FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Do You Read?
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:38 pm
flyinggum

Programs: Global Entry
Originally Posted by shnprst
Hi there,

Whilst my question isn't strictly BA related, I do wish to ask for some advice from the FlyerTalk BA community.

My profession is teaching (maths), however I have a great interest in finance, current events, global markets, economy etc. En route to Chicago, when I was in the CCR at the beginning of July, I picked up a copy of MoneyWeek. Wish, I sort of enjoy although felt a little out my depth, although I was able to sort of pick up some of it. I also got a copy of Fortune magazine which I liked.

I know a lot of people in this forum will be business travelers with an interest in keeping up to date with financial markets and current events and I was wondering what you recommend? I would like some inspiration as all I do is read BBC News. My hobbies would be as stated above, plus travelling. I'd happily sit and watch a 90 minute documentary about the global financial crisis of 2007/2008, finding it fascinating (embarrassing to admit!).

My hotel in Chicago had complementary copies of the Wall Street Journal - which again, I liked.

I don't invest at all, I have some savings so maybe would like to dabble with small quantities in the future, but I am not looking necessary for a guide on how to invest.

I have done a bit of research and have came up with a list. Your thoughts? Thank you!

Lonely Planet
The Economist
MoneyWeek
Wall Street Journal
Time
Bloomberg Businessweek
Conde Nast Traveler
The New York Times
A UK Newspaper (Which is best... Th Guardian, The Times... The Independent?).
Can’t go wrong with The Economist! Its solid analyses, concise writing, and dry sense of humor have me coming back for more. I usually read the politics and business this week section and skim thru until I find sections that peak my interest and peruse them. If you want top notch analyses on global events especially relating to finance and economics, then I suggest The Financial Times, which I believe is the gold standard at the moment.

Last edited by flyinggum; Jul 21, 2019 at 6:08 pm