Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most unusual hotel room amenities you've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Most unusual hotel room amenities you've ever seen

I have seen some strange things in hotel rooms! From carnival-style popcorn machines to foot massagers, hotels seem to go all out these days. What are some of the most odd things you have seen in hotel rooms during your travels?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Stayed at a Moxy recently: my room had a guitar and a turntable in it. There were 3-4 albums in the room and a whole box in the lobby to choose from.

Not audiophile-grade or anything, but kind of fun for an inexpensive Marriott brand. (Contrary to most concept-y brands, I actually kind of like Moxy for what it is. They'll begin fully recognizing Marriott elite status starting August 1.)
Yoshi212 and ryw like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Hotel Indigo Katong in Singapore has the supplies for what they bill as a "traditional" Peranakan foot bath in every room.

Last month I was upgraded to a suite at the Grand Hyatt Berlin that included two open decanters of gin and vodka.

Rooms at the Conrad Seoul have (or had in 2013) Mac Minis hooked up the TV.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Hotel Indigo Katong in Singapore has the supplies for what they bill as a "traditional" Peranakan foot bath in every room.

Last month I was upgraded to a suite at the Grand Hyatt Berlin that included two open decanters of gin and vodka.

Rooms at the Conrad Seoul have (or had in 2013) Mac Minis hooked up the TV.
That reminds me: I stayed in a Pan Pacific hotel about 20 years ago that had a full PC with monitor and printer in the room. A typical unit you'd find in a business center...back then, that probably cost the hotel a couple grand per room. Obviously placed there when the Internet had gone mainstream, but not every traveler would have necessarily had a laptop.

There is also a service that appears in some European/Asian hotel rooms that includes a local mobile phone. The product is called "Handy", which people find funny enough to repost on Reddit at least once a week. "Hey everybody, free Handy in my hotel room..." Yeah, yeah, you're not the first...
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotel Heritage in Bruges provided cut glass decanters of gin and brandy as well as chocolate with their turn down service.
They also stocked the washroom with Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte toiletries.
(This was a few years ago).
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Suite in the Intercontinental Tokyo Bay had one of those high end robotic massage chairs.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Stayed in a hotel in Glasgow city centre and the drawer by the bed was full of condoms!

Don't think they were supplid by the hotel somehow ..........
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by anniegray
Stayed in a hotel in Glasgow city centre and the drawer by the bed was full of condoms!

hahaha I could take a couple of guesses at the hotel in question!

I’ve actually stayed in a hotel in Miami where they were part of the minibar offering!

Completely unrelated to that(!) and not in room exactly, I was very impressed that Ikos Dassia in Corfu has a fleet of about a dozen Minis available free of charge for residents.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by anniegray

I have found condoms clearly supplied by hotels here and there.

At a hotel whose name i don't remember, in Girona Spain, the room had a kama sutra chair with an instruction booklet for kama sutra positions. Fun.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:53 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Many many years ago on our first trip to Paris, we stayed in a lovely hotel in the 16th. We had a brass bed. The brass bed had a slot in to which we could insert 1 franc and the bed vibrated.
pudgym29 and Dave737 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:36 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
At Inn at the 5th in Eugene, OR, I guess they had to fill this space behind the bed with something:

Cris L and FlyingNone like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Scots_Al

hahaha I could take a couple of guesses at the hotel in question!

I’ve actually stayed in a hotel in Miami where they were part of the minibar offering!
There was an 'adult novelty' box in the minibar at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. IIRC, it was labeled that it had things like feathers and blindfolds in it.

Accor's Mama Shelter brand includes an adult film channel in with the room rate.

Staybridge Suites- Stratford/London UK has Apple TV units in the rooms.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:46 pm

Yoga mats and a leaflet with some yoga moves (positions?) in a Sofitel.

Condoms are somewhat common in brazilian hotels. If not mistaken, by law hotels must provide them, at least in some cities or states.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Many years ago KL Hilton had a menu of items you could request to make your hotel room feel more like home? One of which was a goldfish in a tank. Thankfully that's no longer offered.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Many Fairmonts (RIP) have resident Canine Concierges. Labs or Golden Retrievers that guests can borrow for a cuddle or to take for a walk. The ones in Vancouver are famous. My kind of hotel. Book a room; get a dog.
thebakaronis and Dave737 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.