Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can I travel with Dr. Pepper? In cans or bottles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

My friend and I travel once a year to celebrate our birthdays to a new Caribbean island every year. This year we are staying 12 days. She only drinks Dr. Pepper so far only one island has came close with Dr Pibb. I would like to surprise her this year a bring some for her. Does the plastic bottles or cans travel better and will they keep their carbonation?
i can’t figure out where to ask questions. Thank you
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

You've posted in a forum that is for technical issues for this site.

I'll move your post/thread to Travel Buzz where you can get thoughts from the wise folks there.

cblaisd, Co-Moderator, Technical Support Forum
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Your best bet would trying to buy some in the airside area of the airport (from a restaurant, perhaps) and carrying onboard with you.

Placing any carbonated beverage in the cargo hold of an airplane is likely to result in trouble either from the pressure difference (lower ambient pressure increases the forces on the can's walls) or freezing.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Unopened carbonated beverages will travel just find in checked luggage just as they travel just fine in the F/A's galley carts. You will have to put them in checked baggage, though, due to the liquid limits through security.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Your best bet would trying to buy some in the airside area of the airport (from a restaurant, perhaps) and carrying onboard with you.

Placing any carbonated beverage in the cargo hold of an airplane is likely to result in trouble either from the pressure difference (lower ambient pressure increases the forces on the can's walls) or freezing.
False, the cargo area is in the same pressurized area as the cabin. My friend likes to bring wine for clients pretty much every trip. Been a complete non issue for him. I live at an altitude similar to what airplanes pressurized to, do you think they make special carbonated beverages for us?

For the OP, I would do the plastic option, and pack it in the middle of the bag.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I've transported cans of beer in the hold and had no problems. I would put the cans in gallon size Ziploc bags (I think 4 might fit per bag) if you don't have access to laundry on arrival in case something bursts.
andymell and cawhite like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
And pack the bottles in some sort of sealed plastic bag just in case of leaks.

Oops. Posted at same time.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Add me to those who have brought home a 4-pack of an unusual local canned brew. I've never had an issue with one bursting or freezing.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I prefer plastic bottles not cans. And agree that you should put them in ziplocks just in case. and of course only in checked bags, unless you buy on the other side of security,

(Years ago a can packed in a tool bag was punctured by another item.....)
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by eigenvector

[removed]

I used to often buy two liter bottles of sugar Coca Cola and bring them back in my luggage from SJO. Never once had a mishap. I’ve brought champagne, beer and other glass bottles of alcohol on 10k mile trips. Never broke or damaged a one, but I know how to pack them.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 25, 2019 at 7:18 pm Reason: overly personal
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
One thing to remember is the weight so remember to take that into account. But we routinely will bring 12 packs of cans with us when we cruise since we travel light and have lots of extra luggage allowance to use. I take two 12 packs of pop and take some packing tape and reinforce the corners and seal the ends. I than place both in a padded disposable bubble wrap sack that I accumulate over the year. I place that in a folding, padded cooler and zip it up. I don't bother taping the bubble wrap sack much because I can guarantee TSA will inspect that suitcase. So I now have a cooler to place my drinks in when I arrive, a suitcase to carry back booze or trinkets from the countries I visit and packing material to protect what I am bringing back. Other than TSA pawing around my bag it arrives just fine each time. I would suggest not packing things you don't want to get wet or sticky someplace else just in case though.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

I've traveled with beer in glass and cans more times than I can count. I put them in big ziploc bags and pack them in the middle. They are chilly when unpacked, but just fine.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: M&M Senator, IHG Spire Elite
I travelled many times with cans, bottles of beer / wine, even with champagne not a problem. I would not be worried about travelling with checked luggage...
Old Jun 25, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I've flown with 20 oz plastic bottles of soda in my checked luggage many times for an expat friend living in Italy who misses root beer. I just make sure they're packed inside multiple layers of plastic bags, to protect the rest of the suitcase contents in case of leakage. Haven't had any problems thus far.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
SHip them to your hotel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.