Wiki Posts
Search

How many flights do you actually do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by helvetic
Also, if you're only gone 50 days a year you wouldn't be flying 200k miles or spending $25k, it'd probably be closer to $10k or so for 5 big trips, which is a lot more easily affordable.
I think we were out 60 days last year - and flew about 140k, spread across 6 trips. I dont know what the spend was, but probably somewhere between 10k and 15k USD?
In the bigger years (2015/2016) - it was about 80 days and over 200k flown, but we have stayed more at home and/or done driving trips recently during time off.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:50 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Can't imagine doing 50 flights a year, let alone 100, 200!

My job gives me a lot of time off but being from Asia working on the US East Coast I spend most of it visiting family in Asia. I've probably done close to 20 round trips in economy between New York and Asia. I do at least 2 longhaul (Japan/Hong Kong) trips per year, and usually 2-3 domestic. This year, I finally started paying for J and I was so spoiled I don't think I can go back .

So far/booked:
JFK <-> NRT in JL J (x2)
JFK <-> LIM in LATAM J
JFK <-> SAN in DL F
HND/NRT - HKG and back in JL J
HND/CTS/ITM JAL mileage run in Japan

Planning:
JFK <-> LHR in BA F (first time on BA, and first time in F)
LGA <-> DFW in DL F (to experience CSeries)

Aiming to hit JL Sapphire/JGC this year. I should probably be using AA for US domestic flights to get JAL miles but I think Delta is better.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mhy
Depends on the length and the airports. I do 35-40, with about half out of LAX (nightmare traffic about half the time) going to other places with airports that are a pain to get in and out of (IAD, BOS), with the other half BUR-PDX. The BUR-PDX, including getting to/from airports, is easier than driving RT LA to San Diego, which I did every week for about a year. I occasionally entertain the thought of looking at jobs in the bay area, and if I did that it would probably be cheaper and easier to commute BUR-SJC four days a week than to actually move to the bay area. At peak commute hours, I can get to a meeting in Mountain View or Sunnyvale in the same or less time door-to-door as driving to a meeting near LAX.

Last edited by chrisl137; Jun 18, 2019 at 11:50 pm
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Last year I hit a new high with 109 segments. According to FlightMemory.com:

151,703 miles / 244,145 km
88 routes
51 airports
29 airlines
21 countries
4 continents

Mostly for business (Americas and Europe) and holidays in Japan. This year I should be flying slightly less.

Currently on a mission to burn miles before they expire with weekend getaways. Since January: Havana, Oaxaca and Aruba.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Mine evolved quite a bit over time. For a while I was doing about 100 segments on one carrier and 100 K miles on another each year. Then it went to about 100K - 120K or so per year on each of two carriers as I flew less short haul and more long haul. Then it ramped down to 100k or so on one carrier and now much less total. I was a top tier flyer on two airlines for maybe 12 to 15 years, first US Airways and United and then United and American. Then I went to American alone. The long haul seemed easier.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My personal records don't hold a candle to many, but for a few years I averaged 140-150 segments per year, with around 150-200 nights in a hotel. On a weekly level I once did 16 flights in 6 days. It actually isn't as bad as it sounds, other than the misery flying CRJ-200's way too often.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mhy
I cant imagine doing that much in any of the situations below
*on the same route over and over
*domestically
*on regional jets
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:46 am

47 flights this year to date. Will tail off a bit to the end of the year so will probably land around 75.

Will probably be ~150,000 miles by the end of the year. Probably 50/50 business personal.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I
Originally Posted by rankourabu
*domestically
*on regional jets
Yeah. It isn’t pleasant. I was doing LGA-STL about every other week on US Airways when I was doing a lot of segments and the same years on United I was doing 8 or 10 JFK-LHR and the odd transcons and a JFK-NRT or two. It was the segments that got to me, and the connections, even though I was almost always in first on those.

Although the year that told me I was flying too much (for me at least) included two RTWs, the last of which was JFK-NRT-FRA-DUB-LHR-IADJFK. Left NYC on Monday and returned the following Saturday. All business meetings and making a presentation. Although I did get to visit someone that used to own my favorite restaurant in NYC and then owned a restaurant in Tokyo. Some people fly a lot more than I do but that was it for me. I started ramping down after that.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Jun 20, 2019 at 8:04 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by rankourabu
*domestically
*on regional jets
The flights are easy, even on crappy airplanes. It's the same city that would drive me crazy. I tried to break up some of the monotony by staying at different hotels, eating at different restaurants. ABQ, PHX,LAS, LAX, SLC and ORD were just a few that I had to fly to every month for a couple of years. Now I barely visit twice a year, but in any of the hotels I frequented I'm still recognized by majority of the staff when I walk in.

But I'm definitely numb to the airplane side, not to mention boring rental cars from National or Hertz.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bophopper
How many flights do you actually do?
As opposed to falsely do?

For me, it ranges from 10 to 600 flights per year.

How dare I. IMPOSSIBRU!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:29 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I normally do 60-100 flights a year, a mix of 1/3 business, 1/3 leisure and 1/3 opportunistic leisure related to business. This year is going to be a big one though: I've just got home from a 44K mile, 53 segment trip around the South Pacific between late March and early June, which puts me on about 70 flights for the year already.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by josmon10
Last year I hit a new high with 109 segments. According to FlightMemory.com:

151,703 miles / 244,145 km
88 routes
51 airports
29 airlines
21 countries
4 continents

Mostly for business (Americas and Europe) and holidays in Japan. This year I should be flying slightly less.

Currently on a mission to burn miles before they expire with weekend getaways. Since January: Havana, Oaxaca and Aruba.
What a travel companion?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I only fly vacations with my family, all domestic. Zero desire for flights solo or with friends; I would prefer a local 2-hour driving trip with my wife for our next solo trip.
4 round trips this year. Paid P (discount “C”)
last year was 7 round trips.
Picturing 4-6 next year.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Stopped counting a long time ago, but probably 120 flights and 400k miles a year. Loses its luster after a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.