Hotel 3 am fire alarm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel 3 am fire alarm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had this problem on a cold night at a Manchester airport hotel. It was a false alarm. The hotel handed out space emergency blankets, those foil things, to everyone standing outside.

The next morning on checkout, they gave everyone who asked or even just complained a 30% discount, without protest. If you didn't ask, you didn't get. So despite all the self-righteous posts above, it does appear that asking was a good idea.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by emma69
On some occasions, yes, I expect compensation. For example, the time I stayed at a hotel and a group of trouble makers pulled the alarm several times. The hotel told me 'this always happens when we allow groups like [that]' so in that instance, yes, there was something the hotel could have done to prevent it (not accepting the group) so I expect to be compensated. A genuine fire, or accidental trigger, then no, I do not.
New Years night in New Orleans, unfortunately in the days before the Internet and social media ... we had an early flight to DFW, so the unexpected 0300 wakeup wasn't that much of a problem, but we were unable to get back into the room in time to dress, finish packing, and get to the airport ... no availability later in the day out of MSY, so I had to get a rental car and drive to Baton Rouge to get a ~1230 flight ... wrote to the hotel manager requesting reimbursement, but never heard back
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
If a hotel fire alarm rings, it's probably either a small fire or a false alarm, not a large fire or a terrorist attack.
Then you "probably" won't die. I guess you can sit in your room and just listen to the alarm.

You "probably" won't be in a car accident each time you get in a car, so don't bother with seat belts?

Originally Posted by Redhead
I have had to evacuate two separate hotels in the middle of the night. One was a false alarm. The other was not. It was a fire that engulfed several rooms. Evacuate!
You 50% probably would have been fine...
Redhead likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Many years ago there were a couple of high profile hotel fires in ?Las Vegas which were quite publicized b/c many were hurt or killed needlessly. There was a lot of education about locating the nearest fire exits 1st thing when entering a hotel room. This is what I taught my children to do when they were little - don't know if they still do it, but I do.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Asked for 30,000 hilton points (cost of 1 night) as compo after a 3am fire alarm.

UK property, staff were useless and playing on their phones, no organisation nothing. Middle of winter stuck in a carpark for over an hour.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:31 pm

This reminds me of when I was called from the front desk at 2am to double-check if I still was to use the airport shuttle that I had booked the night before. The receptionist was talking about "this morning", I was thinking about "tomorrow", I couldn't think with clarity... All very confusing. I wanted to put a serious complaint the next morning, but they got away thanks to a 15 people line. Obviously never been back.
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Two items:

First, many years ago, at my first professional conference, I was showering early in the morning, carefully washing my (long) hair, not rushing at all, trying to stay relaxed before my first-ever presentation. The bathroom fan was noisy, but "no problem"; what did I care?
i *finally* opened the bathroom door and stepped into the little hallway to the bedroom, and WHAMMO... all sorts of noises. It took me a while (TOO long!) to realize those were alarms. I was wrapped in a towel, with dripping wet hair.

I sat on the bed and dialed the hotel operator, who, thank goodness, actually answered. I asked if there was a fire, and she chirped something like, "Didn't you hear the announcements?" (Uh, obviously that would be a "no"!) There had been a malfunction of the alarms, and we were all supposedly instructed to ignore the noise.
Several issues... IF I had been prone to a heart attack, that would have done it...
But then, with the alarms still going, what IF there were a real emergency?

Second: I don't like heights [understatement, but flying is okay, oddly], so we try to avoid true highrise hotels (and office meetings when possible).
But I have a bad foot, so IF we were on a very high floor, I would have trouble getting down, and I certainly couldn't do it quickly beyond maybe one flight.
That is terrifying.
What DO hotels do with guests whom they know to be handicapped, e.g., those in wheelchairs/accessible rooms, anyway, in a real highrise building?
(And they typically would not know I had a problem.)

GC
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Two items:

First, many years ago, at my first professional conference, I was showering early in the morning, carefully washing my (long) hair, not rushing at all, trying to stay relaxed before my first-ever presentation. The bathroom fan was noisy, but "no problem"; what did I care?
i *finally* opened the bathroom door and stepped into the little hallway to the bedroom, and WHAMMO... all sorts of noises. It took me a while (TOO long!) to realize those were alarms. I was wrapped in a towel, with dripping wet hair.

I sat on the bed and dialed the hotel operator, who, thank goodness, actually answered. I asked if there was a fire, and she chirped something like, "Didn't you hear the announcements?" (Uh, obviously that would be a "no"!) There had been a malfunction of the alarms, and we were all supposedly instructed to ignore the noise.
Several issues... IF I had been prone to a heart attack, that would have done it...
But then, with the alarms still going, what IF there were a real emergency?

Second: I don't like heights [understatement, but flying is okay, oddly], so we try to avoid true highrise hotels (and office meetings when possible).
But I have a bad foot, so IF we were on a very high floor, I would have trouble getting down, and I certainly couldn't do it quickly beyond maybe one flight.
That is terrifying.
What DO hotels do with guests whom they know to be handicapped, e.g., those in wheelchairs/accessible rooms, anyway, in a real highrise building?
(And they typically would not know I had a problem.)

GC
Two answers - if there was a real emergency, someone would announce an evacuation over the loud speaker. I've come across this more than once.

Secondly, the procedures vary depending on location, both country you are in, and particular property. In some, there are designated 'refuge' areas, where people unable to evacuate by stairs are supposed to gather, and the firefighters know of these refuge areas. Well designed ones have specific airflow to reduce smoke, and fireproofed doors / walls. In at least one place, it has been a janitors closet... Some jurisdictions have elevators that can be used during a fire (both for fire fighters and those who cannot manage stairs) but typically these cannot be operated by guests. Some properties have evacuation 'chairs' which staff or a companion could operate in an emergency.

If I knew I would need assistance evacuating in an emergency, I would tell the front desk when I checked in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.