Search

Hotel 3 am fire alarm

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS DL
Hotel 3 am fire alarm

Should the Hotel Compensate You For a 3AM Fire alarm?
link to original thread
Therefore, I am closing this thread and if anyone wishes to start a more current discussion on this topic, please feel free to do so.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
I find this topic interesting and didn't think about it until now. I didn't read the original 2002 thread in 2002.

I'm interested in the more broad topic, "what should you do if the fire alarm rings at 3 am?". Put on a coat if it is cold, take credit card if time permits, wear shoes, consider evacuating. It might also be a terrorist attack, in which case sometimes it's better to hide in a locked room.

If a false alarm, should you ask for compensation? Points? Breakfast? Something else? Once I was promised points but never got them.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

But, when you've got 1000 guests staying at your hotel, each wanting $25 worth of compensation, now you've got yourself a nice $25,000 bill.
True, but a hotel with 1000 guest may have $300,000 in revenue per day, $100 million per year.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
If they give everyone £25 for a false alarm, you can be sure some people will enjoy setting off the alarm to claim their money.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If a fire alarm goes off you would "consider evacuating"? Really? What do you think the statistics are between people killed by fire each year and people killed by terrorists using a fire alarm to kill people?

Compensation for a safety device trying to save your life? Really? Unless it's a system failure due to faulty maintenance, or accidental triggering by hotel staff, I don't see this as reasonable.
trooper and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
If a fire alarm goes off you would "consider evacuating"? Really? What do you think the statistics are between people killed by fire each year and people killed by terrorists using a fire alarm to kill people?

Compensation for a safety device trying to save your life? Really? Unless it's a system failure due to faulty maintenance, or accidental triggering by hotel staff, I don't see this as reasonable.
If a hotel fire alarm rings, it's probably either a small fire or a false alarm, not a large fire or a terrorist attack.

I would either evacuate or prepare to evacuate. It also depends on the hotel layout. A 15 story building is different from a two story motel with an exterior walkway.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I have had to evacuate a hotel room in the middle of the night and it included walking down from the 20th floor. It was a false alarm and a pain to deal with but there was no doubt in my mind about what to do. Get dressed fast, grab your wallet and get out.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I have had to evacuate two separate hotels in the middle of the night. One was a false alarm. The other was not. It was a fire that engulfed several rooms. Evacuate!
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:42 pm

If you expect compensation for that, answer me this..... if YOUR burglar alarm/smoke detector/car alarm/whatever went off at 3 am...would you offer financial compensation to all your neighbours?
Annalisa12 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by trooper
If you expect compensation for that, answer me this..... if YOUR burglar alarm/smoke detector/car alarm/whatever went off at 3 am...would you offer financial compensation to all your neighbours?
If my neighbors were paying me for a quiet and good night's sleep, then yes I would compensate them.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
If the alarm goes off be glad it works and made noise.

There is is something wrong if people keep thinking we should be compensated everytime something is not perfect.
farci and Annalisa12 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:24 pm

If a Fire Alarm goes off legitimate or not evacuate. I always have my glasses, room key, wallet, phone and jacket and shoes in a place ready for evacuation. In the winter my PJs are warm and in the Summer they are shorts and a t-shirt an a light jacket. Its always good to be prepared and know your evacuation route. I always look at the evacuation plan on the back of my room door and read the Guest Information guide just to be ready in case of any emergency. Do I expect evacuation because of a false alarm oh Hell No. If it were a University Dorm do you think the University will give you a prorated rate for the lack of sleep? I am just happy to be alive. Now if the hotel offered compensation as a gesture of goodwill then I would take it. At the very least I will mention it to the Front Desk that the false Fire Alarm last night made it for a sleep deprived night not expecting much but you never know they may just comp the night or throw some voucher or bonus points.
pilot007 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
We had a situation like this in November at the hotel where we were staying. The fire alarm started ringing at 4 am. I always keep my 'must have this' stuff right beside the bed when I travel. I grabbed my glasses, shoved my phone and its charger into my purse, slipped on shoes & a jacket while my other half was grabbing his shoes, wallet, glasses & jacket. The fire stairs were less than 10 feet from our room. We went down all twelve flights and waited outside until the fire department came and did their thing and said it was all clear.

Apparently there had been smoke two floors below ours, but it wasn't anything major. I know that because we asked at the front desk later in the day. We didn't ask for anything. (We weren't offered anything, either.) I was just glad that their smoke detectors worked well.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Had one at about midnight in Edinburgh in summer. It took the fire brigade a couple of hours to pronounce the building safe to return. In the meantime, the hotel served drinks on the house and it turned into a good fun pyjama party on their huge terrace.
SoonerRed and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by CPRich

Agree with you.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On some occasions, yes, I expect compensation. For example, the time I stayed at a hotel and a group of trouble makers pulled the alarm several times. The hotel told me 'this always happens when we allow groups like [that]' so in that instance, yes, there was something the hotel could have done to prevent it (not accepting the group) so I expect to be compensated. A genuine fire, or accidental trigger, then no, I do not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.