Reload this Page >

The airplane arm rest wiping thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The airplane arm rest wiping thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Sure, it looks gross when you focus in on something like that, but think about everywhere else you've touched that day that also hasn't been sanitised? The taxi on the way to the airport has probably had any number of unsanitary fluids leak into the seat. All the door handles that get cleaned once in a blue moon (including toilet doors). The security checkpoint bins that go round and round getting handled by thousands of people per day who could've touched anything beforehand. If you thought about all that in detail then you'd probably just sign yourself into one of those back wrapping kiosks before each flight.

The fact is that there are dirt and pathogens everywhere and you're still fine. You have an immune system to deal with this stuff. Chill out and enjoy the ride.
ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by roberino
Sure, it looks gross when you focus in on something like that, but think about everywhere else you've touched that day that also hasn't been sanitised? The taxi on the way to the airport has probably had any number of unsanitary fluids leak into the seat. All the door handles that get cleaned once in a blue moon (including toilet doors). The security checkpoint bins that go round and round getting handled by thousands of people per day who could've touched anything beforehand. If you thought about all that in detail then you'd probably just sign yourself into one of those back wrapping kiosks before each flight.

The fact is that there are dirt and pathogens everywhere and you're still fine. You have an immune system to deal with this stuff. Chill out and enjoy the ride.
I disagree. I am very well aware that I will pick up tons of bacteria many other places. Door handles as you mention is a very good example. However this clearly means this arm rest hasn't been cleaned in a long time, that is something I expect when you serve me food, clean surroundings.
What would you think of checking in to a hotel which had not changed bedsheets in a few weeks? Just bacteria, right?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Goaguy
I disagree. I am very well aware that I will pick up tons of bacteria many other places. Door handles as you mention is a very good example. However this clearly means this arm rest hasn't been cleaned in a long time, that is something I expect when you serve me food, clean surroundings.
What would you think of checking in to a hotel which had not changed bedsheets in a few weeks? Just bacteria, right?
You eat off the arm rest?
CDTraveler, ajGoes and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
What I find amusing is when the person next to me diligently scrubs down the armrests, IFE screen, table tray and then proceeds to drop their personal items in the seat back pocket. Do they have any idea what other people put in them and how infrequently they are cleaned?
GavinMansfield likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Goaguy
I have a habit of wiping the arm rests of my seats down, either with a wet wipe or the cloth you may receive on certain carriers.

So let's have a comparison. Take a picture, could show the airline/plane type like here.
Todays ET 767 is the worst I've seen in a long time. They are usually bad, but this is insane. I plan to file a complaint.
​​​​​​The head rest seemed cleaner though.
​​​​Show us what you've got?

I just came back from a mini RTW which included flying on Ethiopian. I also wipe down what I can get at around the seat. Their planes are hands down the FILTHIEST I have ever flown on. Hot towel identical to yours. Thai was the cleanest. Could hardly see any dirt!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by roberino

Least we forget the trams used to carry passengers from terminal to terminal. Those are the surfaces I hate touching. I would rather pretend I'm riding a surfboard using no hands to hang on than touch those rails!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have some wet wipes I will use in long haul J. Simply because I am going to be sitting there for hours. And eating. I am not a germapobe or dirt a phobe, but sometimes the area around the seat is a little dirty and I really dont wanna stare at food stains for 8 hours. They are also hand sanitizers so I can eat with clean hands.
I'd rather risk the germs than consume the chemicals in hand sanitizer. However I won't eat without washing my hands with soap and water first.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I have some wet wipes I will use in long haul J. Simply because I am going to be sitting there for hours. And eating. I am not a germapobe or dirt a phobe, but sometimes the area around the seat is a little dirty and I really dont wanna stare at food stains for 8 hours. They are also hand sanitizers so I can eat with clean hands.

Being a teacher, Ive really got in the habit of using hand sanitizer at school before I eat anything, and washing my hands frequently. So, folks sometimes look at me weirdly when I am cleaning my little J suite, but hey, thats their problem.

But washing the arm rest to see how dark the towel gets is like bringing a black light to a hotel room. You dont really want to know.
The best description of inflight personal hygiene and cleanliness I've arguably seen on a civil aviation passenger forum
Franky16 and bitterproffit like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.