Reload this Page >

Need Advice for First-time Flyers

Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card

My wife's best friend and her husband, both in their sixties, will be flying for the first time from CLT to SEA on AA. We bought them F tickets, and also got them a pair of roll-aboard suitcases. I don't want to overwhelm them with advice, but don't want them to end up in a difficult situation either. What are the most important things to tell them? Should they check their luggage? I think sending them to a TSA website is the best tip for what can be carried on and put in luggage.

By the way, I sure hope they get PDB's. They like to drink, and are going to need a couple after dealing with a big airport for the first time...

Mahalo!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM
Normally I'm a carry-on-only advocate, but in this case I would make an exception so there is less stress over what can go through security and what can't. Also first timers usually think they need much more stuff than they actually need, making carry-on-only a challenge. Pack all medications and other difficult-to-replicate essentials and a change of clothes in a small carryon and check everything else. Sign up for flight alerts the day before. Plan to arrive at the airport extra early to reduce anxiety over unforeseen delays on the way to and at the airport. Once through security, find the gate. Then relax. If not sitting at gate, check gate status occasionally for last-minute changes. And pee before boarding.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:05 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Much of the stress comes from going through TSA so I'd think of things that make the process easier. Tell them to check everything, only carry on a purse, and other vital items. Hopefully they get pre-check because of there age.

Very nice of you to get them an F ticket, that will make the whole experience a lot better for them.
DragonSoul and Maglev like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:53 pm

Check the bags by all means, but remind them that prescription meds and anything else of similar importance should be in carryon, never in checked bags.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
For such a long flight (relatively speaking) check the aircraft type for them. If they are tech savvy and plane has power outlets, then download app for IFE. (and power bank if no outlets). If not, then pack a book and earplugs. Newbies are often amazed at how noisy a plane can be or how bored you will get with nothing to do even if everything is new experience and you have a companion to chat up.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: *G
While I am cynical about the US service, I imagine if they tell the staff at F Check-in of their first time flying, the staff could gently direct them to security line and their access to the premium security.

Also I'm unfamiliar with CLT and AA network in general, but perhaps you can buy them some AAdmirals lounge pass (eBay?) or access to 3rd party lounges to make the wait more pleasant
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Splurge on Five Star Service which is available in CLT (but not SEA). Expensive but includes all the hand holding they could want from curb to jetway, plus lounge access.

Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
CLT is not that large of an airport. It's easily manageable by any first-time flyer. I don't know about PDBs, but there are lots of places at the airport where they can enjoy a cocktail before boarding.
Maglev and milepig like this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'd recommend that they not be afraid to tell the FAs that it's their very first time flying. It's relatively rare for people in their 60s to have never flown, and I'm betting at least one FA will be intrigued and help them through all the little questions on board. They might even do a PDB.

If an Airbus, you can tell them that the plane may shake a bit on takeoff, but that's normal just before the landing gear comes up. (On a Boeing, this isn't an issue, but I have had seatmates raise their eyebrows over the shaking that can occur on Airbii.)
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:18 pm

Helping them pack properly is a very good idea. Making sure their meds are in their carry-on as well as any personal electronics and important documentation (duplicates of their tickets/BP just in case).

Based on your profile, I'm guessing they're going to you instead of leaving you. I would get them to let the check-in agent know it's their first time flying and that they're not familiar with the process (maybe a bit nervous). It might get them some assistance with going through security and navigating CLT (never been there before, but any good sized airport can throw people off). The flight is a bit on the longer side so they might want to have at least a little food or some snacks to carry on post security. Not sure if it's BoB (haven't taken AA in a long time), but it doesn't hurt to have some stuff just in case (and a wider variety of food vs. what is on offer up in the air). Make sure they bring an empty water bottle and have them fill it post security. Checking in their luggage (rather than carry on is a good idea (assuming no onward flights).

Lounge may or may not be a good idea. When my parents fly, I always advise them to stay near their departure gate, especially when it is near the time of their flights. If they want to peruse before, that's fine, but stay near the gate as it gets closer to be ready to board.

Finally, alcohol might not necessarily be a good thing for them. Remember most consumables tend to taste differently when up in the air. Alcohol can also have different effects on people at 30,000ft. I'm not saying don't consume, but be aware of the potential differences (especially for first timers).

There's a lot of information for them to digest. You/your wife know them better so pick and choose what they would need to know. Keep it simple and they will be fine.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
What happens if they check their bags and the bags don't arrive?

Yes yes... probabilities.

OP, are they to call you if they are in a "situation" during their travels?
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'd recommend that they not be afraid to tell the FAs that it's their very first time flying.
I like this suggestion. I've seen others do this and the FAs tend to treat them like family.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Yes, I do agree with this and have seen that too. This is the very precious tips for new flyers.

Thanks
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:41 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EricH
CLT is not that large of an airport. It's easily manageable by any first-time flyer. I don't know about PDBs, but there are lots of places at the airport where they can enjoy a cocktail before boarding.
It depends what gate your are connecting to--in a thread in the AA forum I noted it took 10 minutes to get beyond B6, pax in line for flts departing (all at the same time) from low B's were blocking arriving B pax from getting to their gates (in other concourses). Also they schedule simultaneous departures from high Bs, the boarding lines criss-cross each other...not flyer friendly. D on the other hand is spacious.^
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nrr
It depends what gate your are connecting to--in a thread in the AA forum I noted it took 10 minutes to get beyond B6, pax in line for flts departing (all at the same time) from low B's were blocking arriving B pax from getting to their gates (in other concourses). Also they schedule simultaneous departures from high Bs, the boarding lines criss-cross each other...not flyer friendly. D on the other hand is spacious.^
This. There are some long walks at Charlotte depending on your gate. Connecting from the end of E to the end of B a few weeks ago with my mother it took over 30 minutes, because she had to keep stopping for a break.
Maglev likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.