FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need Advice for First-time Flyers
View Single Post
Old Jun 12, 2018, 11:18 pm
StuckInYYZ

Helping them pack properly is a very good idea. Making sure their meds are in their carry-on as well as any personal electronics and important documentation (duplicates of their tickets/BP just in case).

Based on your profile, I'm guessing they're going to you instead of leaving you. I would get them to let the check-in agent know it's their first time flying and that they're not familiar with the process (maybe a bit nervous). It might get them some assistance with going through security and navigating CLT (never been there before, but any good sized airport can throw people off). The flight is a bit on the longer side so they might want to have at least a little food or some snacks to carry on post security. Not sure if it's BoB (haven't taken AA in a long time), but it doesn't hurt to have some stuff just in case (and a wider variety of food vs. what is on offer up in the air). Make sure they bring an empty water bottle and have them fill it post security. Checking in their luggage (rather than carry on is a good idea (assuming no onward flights).

Lounge may or may not be a good idea. When my parents fly, I always advise them to stay near their departure gate, especially when it is near the time of their flights. If they want to peruse before, that's fine, but stay near the gate as it gets closer to be ready to board.

Finally, alcohol might not necessarily be a good thing for them. Remember most consumables tend to taste differently when up in the air. Alcohol can also have different effects on people at 30,000ft. I'm not saying don't consume, but be aware of the potential differences (especially for first timers).

There's a lot of information for them to digest. You/your wife know them better so pick and choose what they would need to know. Keep it simple and they will be fine.