Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice for First-time Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by Segments
For such a long flight (relatively speaking) check the aircraft type for them. If they are tech savvy and plane has power outlets, then download app for IFE. (and power bank if no outlets). If not, then pack a book and earplugs. Newbies are often amazed at how noisy a plane can be or how bored you will get with nothing to do even if everything is “new experience” and you have a companion to chat up.
AA runs LUS 321's out of CLT to SEA. No power, no IFE. If they have a tablet, download the AA app and take an external battery.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'd recommend that they not be afraid to tell the FAs that it's their very first time flying. It's relatively rare for people in their 60s to have never flown, and I'm betting at least one FA will be intrigued and help them through all the little questions on board. They might even do a PDB.

If an Airbus, you can tell them that the plane may shake a bit on takeoff, but that's normal just before the landing gear comes up. (On a Boeing, this isn't an issue, but I have had seatmates raise their eyebrows over the shaking that can occur on Airbii.)
Not to mention that hydraulic pump that some say sounds like a barking dog but I think sounds like someone taking a very big hand saw the plane.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Originally Posted by wrp96
This. There are some long walks at Charlotte depending on your gate. Connecting from the end of E to the end of B a few weeks ago with my mother it took over 30 minutes, because she had to keep stopping for a break.
We could have had them connect with a flight from a closer airport, but thought that might be too much for a first flight. It also puts them on a bigger, more comfortable plane.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Maglev
We could have had them connect with a flight from a closer airport, but thought that might be too much for a first flight. It also puts them on a bigger, more comfortable plane.
Very smart because that limits places for stress.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
My first thought is.... are you familiar with the airports they will be in, and their ability to handle them physically?

Again, with airports, are they likely to be overwhelmed with the size, number of terminals, how to move between terminals, etc.

The website for the airline they will be traveling with should give them information on baggage, carryons, etc. in addition to TSA's website. Maybe have them do some reading on Flyertalk if you think that would interest them.
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Are they excited?
Maglev likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
Originally Posted by Jeannietx
My first thought is.... are you familiar with the airports they will be in, and their ability to handle them physically?

Again, with airports, are they likely to be overwhelmed with the size, number of terminals, how to move between terminals, etc.
Neither my wife nor I are extensively familiar with CLT or SEA, but I don't really know how much more to tell them than to follow the signs. I think it is a good idea for them to identify themselves as first-time flyers to airline and TSA staff. Physically, they shouldn't have any problems.

Originally Posted by Jeannietx
Are they excited?
Yes, they're excited! Just the concept of a vacation is new to them!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maglev
Neither my wife nor I are extensively familiar with CLT or SEA, but I don't really know how much more to tell them than to follow the signs. I think it is a good idea for them to identify themselves as first-time flyers to airline and TSA staff. Physically, they shouldn't have any problems.

Yes, they're excited! Just the concept of a vacation is new to them!
That must make you and your wife feel really good.
Maglev likes this.

Last edited by Jeannietx; Jun 14, 2018 at 8:44 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Explain the process to them, from checking in online prior as much as 24 hours in advance, arrival at the airport (which terminal and how to find that info), checking their bags, and heading to heading to security. Have them look for TSA Precheck on their boarding passes and explain what that will mean (which line to go through, what to remove from carry on etc) I would also echo those that say stay near the gate, depending on how early they are there. I tend to tell my family to be at the gate itself at 15-20 minutes before boarding (not departure!) so that they are not waiting for a bill at a restaurant when they should be at the gate. For first time flyers the airport itself can be fun - walking around and seeing all the shops, restaurants, and people, but remind them that gates can change, and to not only check the monitors but also check the gate itself. At SEA the main monitors are updated by the Port of Seattle not the airlines themselves and can often have the wrong gate information, but the monitors at each gate does have the latest info.

For the return trip out of SEA, AA flies mostly out of the D gates, which are best accessed through checkpoints 4 or 5 -north checkpoints, both precheck only or 3 main terminal no precheck. SEA changes things often due to cruise season and construction but lately it has been this way.
Maglev likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.