Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving at the airport and going through customs with 7 pieces of luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Arriving at the airport and going through customs with 7 pieces of luggage

Soon my wife and I will be moving to Hungary from the USA.

Between the two of us, we'll have a total of 14 pieces of "baggage" - 2 carry ons, 3 suitcases, 8 18"x18"x24" boxes, and a bike box. Oh, and a cat. We'll hire a van and driver to meet us right outside of immigration.

LOT Polish allows extra baggage at $96/bag so it's only costing us $768 in baggage fees to bring the extra eight pieces. The other option was to use a freight company at three times the cost, wait a couple months for it, pick it up at some depot, and hope that all the boxes show up in decent condition.

Does anyone have tips or advice in trying to pull this off?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
people do this all the time. get a luggage cart. Customs may x-ray or search your bags if they desire. Cooperate and be polite. Not sure if there is anything else you can do to facilitate your journey.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:46 pm

You can check if LOT has unaccompanied bagage at a cheaper price.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would rather expect customs to take an interest but if you're complying with the rules that won't be a problem.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss

Between the two of us, we'll have a total of 14 pieces of "baggage" - 2 carry ons, 3 suitcases, 8 18"x18"x24" boxes, and a bike box. Oh, and a cat.
Don't check the cat, keep it in the passenger compartment with you.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Someone recently mentioned that they checked in a person on duty travel for a particular airline and they had 18 pieces of luggage to check in.
They're allowed an unlimited allowance so they were obviously taking advantage of that in order to relocate or something.

Sometimes airlines such as Ryanair might be doing £10 for a 20kg bag and at those prices, it's definitely cheaper than shipping.

Most I've done was on 3 trains and that was bad enough.
Suitcase, bag, boxed CRT computer monitor and desktop pc after uni. Seriously not easy to get from A to B even with trolleys, most of which were nowhere near where I was.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
What's your routing? If you have a stop within the US, you will need to clear customs at your first port of entry, so give yourself some extra time, and then re-check your bags/boxes.

this should be helpful for going thru customs.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Palal
What's your routing? If you have a stop within the US, you will need to clear customs at your first port of entry, so give yourself some extra time, and then re-check your bags/boxes.

OP is going the other way - so US customs don't apply.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Palal

There is no need to involve US customs when you are leaving the US for Hungary.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:03 am

Ah sorry I misread as "Hungary to the USA".
You may want to look at Hungarian customs to see what kind of personal effects they allow importing and if you need to file any paperwork before you import things. I know that here in PT you can import your personal effects but you need to file some paperwork with a consulate in the US so that you won't have to pay VAT on it.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
The cat!

Between the two of us, we'll have a total of 14 pieces of "baggage" - 2 carry ons, 3 suitcases, 8 18"x18"x24" boxes, and a bike box. Oh, and a cat. We'll hire a van and driver to meet us right outside of immigration.

LOT Polish allows extra baggage at $96/bag so it's only costing us $768 in baggage fees to bring the extra eight pieces. The other option was to use a freight company at three times the cost, wait a couple months for it, pick it up at some depot, and hope that all the boxes show up in decent condition.

Make sure you allow any necessary advance time to get the cat ready, in terms of vaccinations, health documents (for Hungary and also possibly the airline(s)), and possibly micro-chip if required (it seems to be, unless the cat is older and has an older "version" via tatoo.

How big is the cat?
I used to travel frequently with a medium (or medium/small) cat, but the space now allowed "under the seat in front of you" is much smaller now than it used to be. The hard-sided carrier that we preferred won't fit most of the spaces nowadays, unfortunately. Double check that whatever carrier you are planning to use will indeed fit.

And is your cat an "experienced traveler"? IF you plan to use any drugs to calm the cat, I'd strongly recommend that in addition to speaking with your vet (a given, I assume), you try the med a few times at home, first, so make sure there is no paradoxical reaction or such.

GC
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's a good idea to have each bag & box itemized and make a few copies handy for any customs official to review. Also it's wise to pack a roll of tape if they decide to open any boxes. Did you clarify, preferably in writing, with the airline that they'd accept that much luggage? It probably won't be a problem but when moving you want as little hassle as possible. Having it in writing can twist the arm of a resistant agent.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:22 pm

Call the Hungarian embassy in the USA, them that you're moving household goods to Hungary as accompanied airline luggage, and ask them which documents you might need.
And/or: Call Hungarian customs at the Budapest airport and ask them the same question.

That being said, a Google search came up with a document from a moving company which has some relevant information:
http://webportal.atlasintl.com/Custo...cs/hungary.pdf

You won't need most of those documents (e.g. POA) since you're importing and clearing your goods yourself, but items on the checklist could be useful:
- work/residence permit (bring a lot of copies!)
- inventory of items
- statement that you've owned everything for at least six months

Since you're flying LOT, I'm assuming you have a connection in Poland where you'll clear immigration but you won't be collecting your bags there.
When you collect your bags in Hungary, you will probably want to take the Red Channel (items to declare) instead of the Green or Blue (EU) lines even though you'll be arriving on a Schengen flight.
It's possible that there will be no customs staff checking and you can walk right through with all your bags, but be prepared for a possible wait in case they want to do an inspection.

Another line of thought is that you could just use the Green Channel since you presumably don't have anything extraordinary for mandatory declaration like a shotgun, wine collection, or bundles of cash, but that could provoke a less positive attitude from customs if they are there and decide to stop you for checks. Most customs officers would see that much luggage as unusual and pull you aside.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by alaskamatt
Since you're flying LOT, I'm assuming you have a connection in Poland where you'll clear immigration but you won't be collecting your bags there.
LO has a JFK-BUD and an ORD-BUD non-stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.