Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by dmo580
they are semi unreachable for 4-5 hours.
Hopefully we never have cell phone usage in the sky. Can you imagine a (luxurious domestic first) cabin of self-important "businessmen" trying to out-do each other on whose widgets are more important to sell, and how proud they are of themselves for reaching the quarterly goal..... for the entire flight. *shudder*
Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Hopefully we never have cell phone usage in the sky. Can you imagine a (luxurious domestic first) cabin of self-important "businessmen" trying to out-do each other on whose widgets are more important to sell, and how proud they are of themselves for reaching the quarterly goal..... for the entire flight. *shudder*
It's already possible if that's what you mean
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Planes did use to have those phones at the back at every seat. I don't think they were used much due to the high prices, though.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It depends on how "intrude" is defined. It is quite possible to talk on a cell phone at a volume no greater than a quiet conversation. In a busy airport lounge or waiting area it should be no more noticeable than other ambient noise. If however you are expecting library-quality sound levels then you will be intruded upon. It is unreasonable to expect people to hold all calls.
Exactly.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by tmiw
Planes did use to have those phones at the back at every seat. I don't think they were used much due to the high prices, though.
Virtually every international flight I'm on still does, plus mobile network onboard
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
It's already possible if that's what you mean
In North American domestic first? Hope it never happens.
This is where the worst offenders are, not in international J. Corporate peons travelling between Scranton and Des Moines to sell widgets for the bossman thinking that they are doing work crucial to the survival of their company. The less important theu are - the more of a big deal they will make out of themselves
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by atomicfront
You mention "we". I had multiple bags and it was just me and my daughter. If it weren't my daughter beside me it would be my bags. Whatever get over yourself.
The Japanese have figured out how to make it work.

Originally Posted by pinniped
400 is up there. There are lots of pilots who don't fly that many segments per year.
I'm a 737 pilot. In 2017 I flew 231 flights as a crewmember plus a few (<5) deadheading. Probably another 60, at most, commuting. Can't imagine how someone flying 400 would have any time left over to be productive at their job.
84fiero and Great_circle like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: *G
At this minute in the lounge a leisurely dressed woman on my left is shouting on the phone to her daughter while a man to my right is commanding a conference call.

Both are competing to see who is the loudest guest in the room.

It's not to do with business, or leisure travelers.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:54 am

Hopefully we never have cell phone usage in the sky.
Amen
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
It depends on how "intrude" is defined. It is quite possible to talk on a cell phone at a volume no greater than a quiet conversation. In a busy airport lounge or waiting area it should be no more noticeable than other ambient noise. If however you are expecting library-quality sound levels then you will be intruded upon. It is unreasonable to expect people to hold all calls.
I think we all know the type of calls (and callers) being discussed.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:16 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by cheaptom
I truly believe that the phone calls they make between boarding and taxiing are a power trip to let the other passengers know that they are important businessmen. I have never once overheard a pre-takeoff call that was urgent. It's for show, and it's always the same: "Hey, it's me. I just got on the plane in ____. Should be landing in ____ and I'll call you then. Oh, did so-and-so get back to you about ____? I'll have to deal with that later."
Have we reached the point where we are judging the personal value of phone calls others are making! It's nice to see some us are without flaws, certified as both judge and jury! If everyone simply used basic common curtesy and remained aware of their surroundings travel would be much better for everyone. As for business travelers being better or worse, the answer is, yes. There are business travelers of all kinds plus, people have bad days and good days. At the same-time, the fact is, the exact same thing can be said of leisure travelers.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I personally would prefer no cell phone usage while in the air. Just for the peace and quiet.Perfectly happy to rely solely on wifi. I'm also hoping some airlines can make that work better.And I’m okay with calls while still at the gate and upon landing.If you want to return an urgent call to a client while waiting for the rest of the plane to board, okay.Just use your indoor vioice.Want to call you significant other on landing so they know they can drive to the airport to get you, again okay.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA AA
less intrusive than drunk partiers

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Exactly.
The occasional phone call, especially when done at a normal / soft volume, is nothing compared to groups "going on a trip" and have had a few before boarding.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Those prices were a wonderful thing, sort of like $10 beers at NFL games.

Originally Posted by deniah
At this minute in the lounge a leisurely dressed woman on my left is shouting on the phone to her daughter while a man to my right is commanding a conference call.

Both are competing to see who is the loudest guest in the room.

It's not to do with business, or leisure travelers.
You should tell them to jack it up a notch - tell them their volume will determine the winner of a business vs. leisure internet thread.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I personally would prefer no cell phone usage while in the air.
Yes!! Some airlines are giving people free chat/text access. (Whatsapp, etc.) Hopefully that suffices for people who absolutely cannot survive a few hours in the air without two-way interaction with the rest of the world.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
Have we reached the point where we are judging the personal value of phone calls others are making! It's nice to see some us are without flaws, certified as both judge and jury! If everyone simply used basic common curtesy and remained aware of their surroundings travel would be much better for everyone. As for business travelers being better or worse, the answer is, yes. There are business travelers of all kinds plus, people have bad days and good days. At the same-time, the fact is, the exact same thing can be said of leisure travelers.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by tbuccelli
The occasional phone call, especially when done at a normal / soft volume, is nothing compared to groups "going on a trip" and have had a few before boarding.
Of course! And I think this is in the same vein as in what @Badenoch and others are saying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.