Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate business travelers.

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Let's be honest where most of this conversation stems from. Traveling sucks. No matter how much you love your airline, it sucks. Some are anxious to get to their destination. Some just want to be anywhere other than at the airport. You devote a ton of your time to getting there early, checking in, going through security, waiting for the flight, boarding, flying, departing, getting luggage, finding your next transportation, etc etc. While some of you don't even have the patience to deal with rush hour when driving home from work. Imagine having to go through the flight process dozens of times a year. The vast majority of people, business or leisure, would be telling a bold-faced lie if they claimed loyalty perks and other ways to make the process easier weren't important to them.
I had a couple years where I had to drive "locally" to an off-site work location just about every day. It was technically local (about 35 miles) but because this is LA, at commute times it took me about as long door to door as it would to go anywhere in Silicon Valley (via BUR-SJC). Once or twice a month I'd fly to the east coast for a few days or up to a week - those trips actually turned out to be much easier than the daily drive. I'd fly at times that got me to LAX off-peak (though into IAD commute traffic), but once I was there I'd stay about 20 minutes from work in the anti-commute direction at a hotel with walkable food and entertainment, and I generally had more flexible hours than working the local off-site. Now that I'm not doing the drive (and have a 20 minute bike ride to work), the flying is starting to suck more - it tends to be transcons on short turns, so it eats up a lot of time that I'd rather be spending doing something else. So the unpleasantness of travel can definitely be a relative thing. I learned your last point above the first time I had a period with a lot of travel - the perks aren't really all that great, because they mean you're spending an awful lot of time traveling and all they really do is make it a little less unpleasant.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Here you go then, a flock/swarm of lice

I see a bunch of people standing around waiting for a flight. What is so bad about that? I just don't get this whole idea that loitering around the gate is somehow offensive to others. Look at the photo - that's pretty much every gate on every daytime flight at every airport. People standing around. So what?
RobCH and Annalisa12 like this.
Old May 12, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Personally I think the OP was spot on and put it in a way that was close to the heart and one which chimes with me, and probably a lot of others. Genuine posts that are from the heart, that I like. It's like the sort of chat you would have in a bar with a mate when you have just had enough of something.
You nailed the original context and circumstances. Cheers!

I have read the entire thread. Am surprised my post was received as well as it has been. A lot of replies from people who are far more reasonable and sensible than I am.

As for my background, yes, strictly a leisure traveler now. But a long time ago, in another life I used to be a regular business traveler myself. I chased status and did crazy mr’s. Am I bit jealous now of those still in that game? Oh yeah.

But I still don’t need to hear about your f’ing wine cooler.
Old May 14, 2018, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Thekman
If I had a choice of travelling with a plane load of business travellers or a plane load of leisure travellers who don't travel much, I know which one I'd choose. It certainly wouldn't be the latter!
I want the latter. That means my AA Gold upgrade request actually has a chance!! ^
OTD likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Thekman
If I had a choice of travelling with a plane load of business travellers or a plane load of leisure travellers who don't travel much, I know which one I'd choose. It certainly wouldn't be the latter!
Definitely. The fact is some business travelers suck. And some leisure travelers suck. Basically, in the commercial flight industry, everyone and everything at some point sucks. The question, then, is not "Does A suck?" but rather "Which sucks worse in general, A or B?" As an A/B test, if I was told my next flight could either be 90% business travelers or 90% leisure travelers, I'd pick the business traveler heavy one.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not to mention their status isn't even "earned." if 99% of your travel is through your employer's dime, you don't have a right to complain about status perks not being acknowledged.
Comments like this are naïve at best. I'm in sales, and what I don't spend ends up in my pocket in year end profit for me. One way or another, my travel comes out of my pocket, directly or indirectly. Would you suggest that I don't deserve a nice car and the perks that come with it, or belonging to a country club? After all, if it wasn't for my employer I wouldn't have any of those nice things without a paycheck. A good friend agrees with you, and even suggested his 2K per year spend and gaming of the system is more important than my 12K spend on direct flights... After all, he is loyal, even if the airline lost money on him, and I should be a nobody.

Last edited by COSPILOT; May 17, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old May 17, 2018, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Comments like this are naïve at best. I'm in sales, and what I don't spend ends up in my pocket in year end profit for me. One way or another, my travel comes out of my pocket, directly or indirectly. Would you suggest that I don't deserve a nice car and the perks that come with it, or belonging to a country club? After all, if it wasn't for my employer I wouldn't have any of those nice things without a paycheck. A good friend agrees with you, and even suggested his 2K per year spend and gaming of the system is more important than my 12K spend on direct flights... After all, he is loyal, even if the airline lost money on him, and I should be a nobody.
I'd phrase it a little differently. You both have "acquired" the status and should use the benefits that come from it.

The airlines have conditioned us to think of it as "earning" something, when in reality all we did was buy a lot of product from one company. My local sandwich shop gives me a "free" sandwich after I've bought 10 of them - perhaps they should take it one step further and give me a shiny card and double-cheese upgrades. Airline marketing people long ago figured out that we're all pretty vain and will drool over the idea that we're "elite" and have a shiny metal card to prove it. Making us think we've "earned" something is a part of that.

As for gaming the system, let's be honest: that's the entire reason we're all here and not on a bulletin board talking about free sandwiches. Flying for business and optimizing how we use miles for personal travel is one model. MS / mileage runs / etc. is another. There are multiple ways to skin this cat.

And ultimately, none of us are "loyal". We're playing this game to maximum advantage, and that means sometimes buying our product all from one vendor. Other times it does not...
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by pinniped
I'd phrase it a little differently. You both have "acquired" the status and should use the benefits that come from it.

The airlines have conditioned us to think of it as "earning" something, when in reality all we did was buy a lot of product from one company. My local sandwich shop gives me a "free" sandwich after I've bought 10 of them - perhaps they should take it one step further and give me a shiny card and double-cheese upgrades. Airline marketing people long ago figured out that we're all pretty vain and will drool over the idea that we're "elite" and have a shiny metal card to prove it. Making us think we've "earned" something is a part of that.

As for gaming the system, let's be honest: that's the entire reason we're all here and not on a bulletin board talking about free sandwiches. Flying for business and optimizing how we use miles for personal travel is one model. MS / mileage runs / etc. is another. There are multiple ways to skin this cat.

And ultimately, none of us are "loyal". We're playing this game to maximum advantage, and that means sometimes buying our product all from one vendor. Other times it does not...
I think the better analogy would be the restaurants I frequent. Imagine if they asked if I was paying with my personal card, or my corporate card, before deciding how I'm treated?

I guess I don't fit your model, as I'm loyal to UA by personal choice, not by any corporate mandate. I'm allowed to pick whatever airline fits my needs, as do the others in my company. Some pick SW, some pick AA, others pick DL. Part of compensation is knowing how to travel without stress, something I do well. The OP I quoted suggested that because I travel for work, I should not be allowed any benefits because in his/her mind it didn't come directly out of my pocket. Well, it does come out of my pocket at the end of the year, and its my choice. I don't game anything at this point, as I look for the best flights for my meetings and family, balancing cost. RDM's aren't even a thought in how I pick flights.

But even for the young consultant types, I don't judge them, and I don't care who pays the bill. They have to start somewhere and will become a little more humble in years to come. Suggesting that only the payer should have the status sounds more like a monarchy or dictatorship, which doesn't sound good to me.

Suggesting I should slum it every week because I used a corporate card instead of my own seems silly, naïve, and foolish.

Back on topic to the original OP, I'm pretty open minded and one heck of a good listener. I enjoy conversations with both frequent business travelers as well as families. Since I fit both models, and I'm in sales, I'm pretty easy to get along with. The only person I hate is the one that thinks everyone else is wrong, cell phones are bad period, kids suck, and he/she should come first because they have been super loyal with their 2K/spend.
RobCH likes this.

Last edited by COSPILOT; May 17, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 3:34 pm

Naive, yes.

I'm an employer. Treating employees well is important.
Business travel, especially long-haul trips packed with meetings, can be hard and tiresome.

Knowing that employees are, at least, getting travel status on UA and Hertz makes things a bit easier for them and they appreciate it.

As an employer, I want (and sort of need) my employees to have the best travel experience possible. I am paying for that, yes, and what I'm paying for is for them to have an easier time on the road.

So, I want what I paid for.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:41 pm

I think the better analogy would be the restaurants I frequent. Imagine if they asked if I was paying with my personal card, or my corporate card, before deciding how I'm treated?

I guess I don't fit your model, as I'm loyal to UA by personal choice, not by any corporate mandate. I'm allowed to pick whatever airline fits my needs, as do the others in my company. Some pick SW, some pick AA, others pick DL. Part of compensation is knowing how to travel without stress, something I do well. The OP I quoted suggested that because I travel for work, I should not be allowed any benefits because in his/her mind it didn't come directly out of my pocket. Well, it does come out of my pocket at the end of the year, and its my choice. I don't game anything at this point, as I look for the best flights for my meetings and family, balancing cost. RDM's aren't even a thought in how I pick flights.

But even for the young consultant types, I don't judge them, and I don't care who pays the bill. They have to start somewhere and will become a little more humble in years to come. Suggesting that only the payer should have the status sounds more like a monarchy or dictatorship, which doesn't sound good to me.
Some great points.

I also forgive the young consultant types who act like jerks.
i forgive the rarer, but more annoying older consultant types who sort of are jerks.
I forgive the first time traveler who slows down the boarding process.
I forgive the stressed out mom, an infrequent flyer, who is doing her best but is having a rough go.
And I forgive the rarer, but more annoying leisure traveler who thinks they are somehow special.

Leisure vs. business is a non argument.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
But it's just not true. I use carryon regularly at JFK, DEN, BKK, HKT, FRA and the vast majority of the time, I'm already outside grabbing an uber way before the bags come. The idea that getting your checked bags is even close to as fast as simply walking out of the airport makes no sense.
If you're standing at the curb waiting for an Uber how do you know when the bags came? Did you even walk past the baggage claim area? Perhaps the bags from your flight were already on the belt.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by trajanc
I find nothing sucks the joy out of travel quicker than being around business travelers. They are a at once a reminder of everything I am trying to escape from when I travel and a too frequent source of painful distraction.
I hate the shop talk. I don’t need to hear the two of you discuss your marketing goals for your stupid f’ing wine cooler.
I hate the safe soulless banter that passes for your personal conversations. You don’t want to be there having the conversation. I don’t want to be next to you having to listen to it.
I hate the office you create with your lap top and whatever other crap you drag around and I hate how you go into a full clench if anyone intrudes by say reclining a seat or trying to walk past you or just breathing.
I hate your status. Your DYKWIA gold platinum diamond elite status that has polluted your very soul. ‘This place sucks because they didn’t acknowledge my status.’ ‘This hotel was the worst because they didn’t give me my upgrade.’ ‘This airline is garbage because they didn’t offer me a golden throne.’
I hate it when you swarm the bar or crowd the dance floor. What’s the term for a group of overly competitive a’holes who don’t really like each other but are still trying to party down? A clench? A puke? A puke. That works.
If I could I’d build a big beautiful lounge that could hold every business traveler far away from me. Really, you have all earned it.
I am a frequent business traveler. For the record I don't talk shop with my seatmate (whether thay are a colleague or not), rarely work on the plane, fly economy with little to no complaints, and almost always have my headphones on minding my own business. Sorry if somewhere along the way I have offended you just in case.

Solid and enjoyable rant.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
If you're standing at the curb waiting for an Uber how do you know when the bags came? Did you even walk past the baggage claim area? Perhaps the bags from your flight were already on the belt.
Yes, I walk right by the baggage claim. At DEN, my home airport, I regularly take the train to the terminal then walk by the passengers assembling at the carousel. And at many other airports as well.

I'm not saying that sometimes the bags come quickly. But are we actually debating the concept that simply walking to the car is generally (and sometimes much) faster than waiting for your checked bag? I am sort of stunned that they is up for debate. Even on a good day it's usually a few minutes waiting at baggage claim, and from time to time you have huge delays or lost bags.
Old May 18, 2018, 6:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Badenoch
What should really suck the joy out of the OP's travel is knowing that the business traveller he resents so much:

Has elite status on the airline and gets perks and upgrades he can only dream of and are permanently beyond his grasp.

Is probably sitting in the front in a comfortable seat that was paid for by someone else while he paid out of his own pocket to be crammed into tiny seat in the back.

Will be seated first, will always find sufficient room in the overhead and might even enjoy the burning stares of people seated in Zone 4 who are waiting in a long line while he goes to the front.

And if your hate becomes so overwhelming my advice to the OP is to take the bus. Fewer business people on buses and a social class probably more suitable for his position in life.
Whoops, looks like you're exactly the type of self-important person the OP is talking about. You realize lots of FT'ers are leisure travelers that still have status, know the drill at the airport and ride up front right?
Old May 19, 2018, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by PaxALotl
But are we actually debating the concept that simply walking to the car is generally (and sometimes much) faster than waiting for your checked bag?
Not at all, we're saying it's a false saving as the guy who waited at the carousel will have caught up with you in the bus/train/taxi/hire car queue or at the first traffic lights you stop at. Someone else will have carried his bags for him and he won't have worried about overhead space or had a bag at his feet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.