Search

Expensing Multi-City Trips

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Expensing Multi-City Trips

I am doing more multi-city trips for work. I am wondering how others expense the ticket as I can't easily break out the fares, etc. when a multi-city ticket needs to be divided up for different clients? Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Book 1-ways that can be expensed to each client? Sure, it's sometimes more expensive, but the only true way that I'm aware of.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:18 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpsj
I am doing more multi-city trips for work. I am wondering how others expense the ticket as I can't easily break out the fares, etc. when a multi-city ticket needs to be divided up for different clients? Thanks!
Doesn't that mean one client will have to pay a higher portion of the cost? I fly to city A and expense it, but then need to go to city B and then return to my home in city C. The second client would then be on the hook for paying to get me to city B and then also back to city C. The first client only pays to get me to city A.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you could get the fare calculation line from the eticket, that would show the breakdown of the base fare for each segment (I think the taxes/fees might be a bit trickier). I don't believe AA's emailed eTicket receipts show this, and not sure if you can get it online, so your options are to call AA or have an agent at the airport print you the eticket receipt showing the original fare calculation. Here's one from a JFK-SLC r/t (on DL);

Fare Details: JFK DL SLC430.70KE0UA0FJ DL JFK115.35XEVNA0MJ USD546.05END ZP JFKSLC XF JFK4.5SLC4.5

I don't think it's complete with respect to taxes fees (though those are listed separately in their email), but you can see that the JFK-SLC leg had a base fare of $430.70 (fare basis code KE0UA0FJ) and the SLC-JFK leg was $115.35 (fare basis code XEVNA0MJ), for a total base fare of $546.05.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Doesn't that mean one client will have to pay a higher portion of the cost? I fly to city A and expense it, but then need to go to city B and then return to my home in city C. The second client would then be on the hook for paying to get me to city B and then also back to city C. The first client only pays to get me to city A.
Book a multi-city itinerary and split 50/50 between clients? I think you are overthinking it.
thunderlounge and Uncle Nonny like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
You could use the EQD earnings to work it out, but you could also just split the cost equally amongst them - you are traveling for all of them after all and doing in one trip because of their schedules (maybe).

Alternatively, the nearest client pays the cost a normal round trip to them and the more distant client pays the premium above that round trip fare to go and visit them – and i think you could generalize this to any number of clients if you do more than two at a time.

In the end it depends on the nature of your contract with them and what you have told them you will charge in that.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bse118
Book a multi-city itinerary and split 50/50 between clients? I think you are overthinking it.
Not the best as if a roundtrip costs $50 to one and $500 to the other, why should it be 50 / 50
1. Price the cost of roundtrips to each
2. Determine the percentage cost of that 2 roundtrip total that applies to each
3. Buy the multi segment total, use the percentages obtained above to determine the amount each pays
Segments and jacobguo like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118
I am not overthinking it. Clients want receipts and producing a receipt for them for the actual cost of what I am billing them has been requested.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The clients need to pay to get you to their site and then from their site (normally to home on a simple r/t).
So you could charge Client #1 100% of the A-B fare and 50% of the B-C fare. Then Client #2 pays the other 50% of the B-C fare and 100% of the C-A fare.

But there are probably a dozen different ways to do this, some posted here by others. Surely your office has established some type of common practice?
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Not the best as if a roundtrip costs $50 to one and $500 to the other, why should it be 50 / 50
1. Price the cost of roundtrips to each
2. Determine the percentage cost of that 2 roundtrip total that applies to each
3. Buy the multi segment total, use the percentages obtained above to determine the amount each pays
Honestly - this is between OP and his company or between OP and his client. Without knowing the details of his client relationships and terms we don't have the necessary info to provide an informed option.

Does the client specify it must be lowest fare? Does the client specify how many days in advance the ticket needs to be purchased? Does the client specify whether non-stops are allowed over cheaper connecting itineraries? Are preferred airlines allowed? Etc...etc..etc...

Too many variables involved in airfare pricing to provide a uniform answer here. Look at the options, determine what's the best use of your time and your clients' dollars, and go from there.

I am not overthinking it. Clients want receipts and producing a receipt for them for the actual cost of what I am billing them has been requested.
Sure of course they do. And I've had clients who were plenty happy with the approach I've suggested - and a receipt showing notation with partial charge allocation. I don't know your clients and their terms, nor does anyone here, so I'm not sure how we can provide specific advice.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
So your trip is C(home)- A - B - C?

Try booking two tickets... first client is C-A-C and second is A-B-A. Requires a connecting flight home back through city A but with backtracking you can purchase two clean tickets for receipt purposes. Question then becomes risk of booking separate tickets (IRROPS) and potential need for extra hotel night.

Really depends on on your clients requirements for “clean” receipts versus accepting a pro rata portion of the combined ticket (and agreement to whatever proportioning your firm utilizes).
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
If it was me, I would price AAA-BBB-AAA and AAA-CCC-AAA and bill each client that amount.
Then book whatever you need. If you come out ahead by doing a multi city segment, that's part of your fee as a consultant.

The client in BBB has no business knowing where you are going next, and CCC has no business knowing where you came from. Nor should either be subsidizing the cost of your travel for the other one.
MathMusic, jpsj and jacobguo like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:40 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
book them as a different PNR for each client.

Receipt 1: home to client 1
Receipt 2: client 1 to client 2
Receipt 3: client 2 to client 3 to home

Someone has to pay to get you home. If you were visiting any one of them for a single trip, they would be doing it anyway.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02
If it was me, I would price AAA-BBB-AAA and AAA-CCC-AAA and bill each client that amount.
Then book whatever you need. If you come out ahead by doing a multi city segment, that's part of your fee as a consultant.

The client in BBB has no business knowing where you are going next, and CCC has no business knowing where you came from. Nor should either be subsidizing the cost of your travel for the other one.
This is how I am doing it.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is the fare A-C via B the same as A-C
If so, I would just charge the entire cost to the client at C

If the prices are different, then I would generally book A-B and charge to client at B and then separately book B-C-A and charge to client at C

I wouldn't do 2 round trip journeys which will just cost more and require additional travelling for no purpose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.