Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels going cashless (i.e., refusing cash payment) & implications of refusing cash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I love the conspiracy/post-apocalyptic vibe of this thread.

Forget about paying in cash: I want my hotel brand to accept ammo, whiskey, and fresh game as payment.

But still give me hotel points.
Beltway2A likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I think the move toward cashless society is a move toward eventual acceptance of the Mark of the Beast (Revelation 13:16-18; Revelation 14:9-11)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by pinniped

Forget about paying in cash: I want my hotel brand to accept ammo, whiskey, and fresh game as payment.

Governments and others spying upon targets (i.e., individuals, groups, communities, a country) via electronics financial transactions isn’t post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory.

Governments and others trying to control people via cutting off a target’s electronic financial transactions is also neither post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory.

An economic hit or other economic-related problems due to being cut off from electronic financial transactions is also neither post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory.

Governments and others spying upon targets (i.e., individuals, groups, communities, a country) via loyalty program transactions isn’t post-apocalyptic nor a conspiracy theory; but targets being controlled or otherwise restricted via loyalty program points isn’t as easily and broadly effective as targets being cut off from electronic financial transaction facilities.

But since this is about hotels going cashless, one of the implications of hotels going cashless is that it may become harder to get all the hotel points for at-property spend than used to be the case. Note that for some hotels, hotels going cashless may mean that hotel restaurant meals and some other on-site services previously chargeable to the guest room may no longer be added to the hotel room folio. And yes, I would want those transactions to still as easily result in hotel points for me as they used to do before some of these properties went cash-less.
windscar likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent

Seriously. I'm surprised there aren't more complaints in this thread about hotels not accepting gold bullion or gemstones either.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Diamonds are a girl;'s best friend.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Diamonds are a girl;'s best friend.
In a forum full of frequent flyer/guest types, that sounds like flirting.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The majority of Nordic Choice hotels are card-only/cashless.

When even some airline ticketing locations in the US are going cashless, it’s probably only a matter of time until this no-cash approach spreads to US hotels too.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

Refusing cash is a good way to keep the riff raff out. People who don't have credit cards or even debit cards are higher risk people.

I remember being in a terrible hotel years ago. It was the "Tulsa Select" hotel in Tulsa. They had a sign at the front desk: "Cash payments not accepted from Tulsa residents".

The reason is that prostitutes, drug dealers, junkies and criminals in general use cash only. By requiring them to use a CC or debit card, you are requiring them to leave a record of their identity and of their stay. This means the hotel won't turn as easily into a seedy base of operations for low-lifes.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
People who don't have credit cards or even debit cards are higher risk people.
Can you back that statement up with a source of some sort?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Refusing cash is a good way to keep the riff raff out. People who don't have credit cards or even debit cards are higher risk people.

I remember being in a terrible hotel years ago. It was the "Tulsa Select" hotel in Tulsa. They had a sign at the front desk: "Cash payments not accepted from Tulsa residents".

The reason is that prostitutes, drug dealers, junkies and criminals in general use cash only. By requiring them to use a CC or debit card, you are requiring them to leave a record of their identity and of their stay. This means the hotel won't turn as easily into a seedy base of operations for low-lifes.
Wishful thinking above, aimed for an audience susceptible to paranoia and morality policing.

The fact is that all those questionable type of characters mentioned above can readily buy prepaid debit cards at stores or even self-service standalone kiosks. A record of their identity can be the same whether they are using cash or a bank card of sorts. Prepaid debit cards are issued by banks too.

And the fact is that prostitutes, drug dealers, junkies and criminals use credit cards too.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

That's hilarious. I happen to have a Brother who prefers to deal in cash. Riff raff that you imply he must be, he peels $1000 bills off a roll with regularity. The only 'higher risk' I see him posing vs. you with a credit card in a hotel Proudelitist, is that you could get run over by staff in their rush to serve my Brother.

As for your Tulsa example, any hotel with such a sign for such a purpose, is not a hotel I would be staying in with cash or with credit cards.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wishful thinking above, aimed for an audience susceptible to paranoia and morality policing.

The fact is that all those questionable type of characters mentioned above can readily buy prepaid debit cards at stores or even self-service standalone kiosks. A record of their identity can be the same whether they are using cash or a bank card of sorts. Prepaid debit cards are issued by banks too.

And the fact is that prostitutes, drug dealers, junkies and criminals use credit cards too.
I thought prepaid debit cards had some restrictions around pre-authorizations (which is what most hotels do on check-in)? You'd need to use an actual debit or credit card, which as you mention, a lot of people have.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Miles and More
In most cases, I don't mind hotels going cashless. I'm more annoyed by the time I tried to spend the remaining amount of my foreign currency to pay for lounge access, only to be told that they only accept card payment.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I thought you would have learned from your previous thread that these sites aren't necessarily bad. In a lot of cases they have clear advantages.
Originally Posted by CPRich
Did you wake up on the "I am God" side of the bed today?

btw, it's 74% of transactions. You're entitled to you own opinion but not your own facts.
Don't feed...

+1
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
he peels $1000 bills off a roll with regularity.
$1000 bills? Which currency are we talking about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.