Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much longer can U.S. carriers justify insane domestic prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much longer can U.S. carriers justify insane domestic prices?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajl1239
how much longer can U.S. carriers justify their insane domestic pricing? At what point will they have to cut prices nearly in half to bring them closer to intra-EU/Schengen flights?
well, given Air Berlin's current bankruptcy proceedings (and likely breakup), you could just as easily ask the opposite question:

How much longer can European airlines survive such insanely low intra-Europe prices?

Just because you like low prices doesn't mean a merchant can survive forever on the prices you'd prefer.

If you're not looking at it from the business perspective, how can you know that it's not the European prices that are too low (for sustainability) rather than the US prices being too high?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not really. Cabotage restrictions being lifted won't do that.
Buying a ticket between two cities not in the US won't get you on a flight between US cities - cabotage restrictions have nothing to do with it. Buying tickets between any 2 cities in the world won't get you on a different flight anywhere else - and that's the point. Pricing of 1 city pair has nothing to do with pricing of another city pair, regardless of regulations or location. Cheap flights in the EU have nothing to do with, and will not make US airlines "have to cut" any, US prices.

Last edited by CPRich; Sep 16, 2017 at 9:02 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by fredman
Please show me or tell me where I can find ANY flights to:
London, Prague, Vienna, Rome or Greece for anything even remotely close to $500, let alone $109.
(or any city even close to those)
Hell, I'd even settle for near $1,000.
I don't know where you're located, but I can fly PIT to London and back next week for

Flights without taxUSD 161.96
Taxes & feesUSD 198.02
Flights totalUSD 359.98
Flights
Mon, Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh (PIT) 6:45 PMLondon (LGW) 10:25 AM + 1 day
Flight 1: | 6h 15m | WW148 | Operated by: WOW air
Layover: 1h 10m | Reykjavik (KEF)
Flight 2: | 3h 15m | WW810 | Operated by: WOW air
1x AdultUSD 189.99

Fri, Sep 29, 2017
London (LGW) 11:40 AMPittsburgh (PIT) 5:45 PM
Flight 1: | 3h 20m | WW811 | Operated by: WOW air
Layover: 1h 10m | Reykjavik (KEF)
Flight 2: | 6h 35m | WW147 | Operated by: WOW air
1x AdultUSD 169.99
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - international flights have certain benefits that are not ordinarily available in domestic flights, such as ... cargo, etc.
Huh? No domestic cargo?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I guess expensive domestic fares depend on where you need to go. In the last month I have bought advance purchase fares on AA for DTW-MIA and ORD-LAX both for $99 round trip. YMMV
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I guess expensive domestic fares depend on where and when you need to go. In the last month I have bought advance purchase fares on AA for DTW-MIA and ORD-LAX both for $99 round trip. YMMV
fixed that for you
Old Sep 17, 2017, 5:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch
well, given Air Berlin's current bankruptcy proceedings (and likely breakup), you could just as easily ask the opposite question:

How much longer can European airlines survive such insanely low intra-Europe prices?

Just because you like low prices doesn't mean a merchant can survive forever on the prices you'd prefer.

If you're not looking at it from the business perspective, how can you know that it's not the European prices that are too low (for sustainability) rather than the US prices being too high?
Unlike US airlines, many of which filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the past 15 years? Or gone bust, like TWA.

Using the fact of one airline going bust in Europe and then shouting "see, look it doesn't work" seems a bit simplistic. Many(most?) airlines in Europe are posting massive profits. Sustainability is a valid question but you need more of an argument than that. From everything I have read, airline market liberalisation in Europe is roundly seen as having been massively successful.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nanyang
Providence to Edinburgh for USD109 - can that possibly be profitable for any airline operator. I assume AirAsia X must have the lowest CASK in the world or close to it...
Rock-bottom fares like this are exponents of yield management. Obviously not every seat to EDI goes for $109, but some do, and DY buys a lot of attention / awareness that way.

Please show me or tell me where I can find ANY flights to:
London, Prague, Vienna, Rome or Greece for anything even remotely close to $500, let alone $109.
Watch EI. I often see ORD-DUB/LHR/etc. for $550 or so.

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Many people are saying that the US airlines are just charging what people will pay - of course no one is arguing that they should not charge whatever people will pay - the bigger question is what can be done to entice more competition and/or liberalise the market so that prices come down. As Spirit and Frontier grow, it will hopefully help too.
Short of reconstituting the CAB, that's the only force that will exert downward pressure on prices. I often see outraged FTers complaining about airfares and wailing, "I guess they're only in it for the money!" Show me the business that isn't.

Domestic fare-shopping is a keno game anyway. Last month I got my wife a night-before OW fare ORD-DCA for $80 and a return flight for $41. Today all advance weekend RTs are $325+. The scene is not consistently "insane."
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I was very unpleasantly surprised when I looked up flight price ORD to Rapid City.

I could fly Toronto to Shanghai direct for prices cheaper than they sometimes want for Toronto to Cleveland or Toronto to Rochester NY
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:28 am

First, keep in mind a lot of readers here are new and don't know what 'LCC' or 'EI' mean. LCC - Low Cost Carrier, EI - Aer Lingus,
Second, that does explain it - the flights you are talking about originate from mainly NY or LA, but I'll say 'most' people flying are not all from NY or LA.
I realize you (here) cannot price-shop from, say, Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis or even Chicago, that's the difference between a 'cheap faire to Europe', or not.
Apparently that is where the US carriers are 'making their money', a cheap flight to Europe from LAX or JFK is one thing, but GETTING TO LAX or JFK is quite another.

Last edited by fredman; Sep 17, 2017 at 8:35 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich
Buying a ticket between two cities not in the US won't get you on a flight between US cities - cabotage restrictions have nothing to do with it.
Cabotage restrictions do have to do with it. Without the cabotage restrictions, Mexican or Canadian (and even other non-US) carriers could sell tickets for service between US cities by offering transits via non-US airports. Without the "Buy America" restrictions, non-US carriers would get a bigger piece of the lucrative government/government contractor travel pie. Without the US's foreign ownership and foreign staffing restrictions, non-US carries could increase competition in the US.

All of these are things the airline industry's non-consumer stakeholders are opposed to allowing.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 17, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Without the US's foreign ownership and foreign staffing restrictions, non-US carries could increase competition in the US.

All of these are things the airline industry's non-consumer stakeholders are opposed to allowing.
You mean there are not enough US airlines operating in the US to
have a competition amongst themselves?
American - Delta - Southwest - Frontier - United, to name a few?

The simple 'fact' is that it is just collusion to keep prices up, because I won't
believe for a second they all seem to raise or lower prices at seemingly the
same time by happenstance.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
You mean there are not enough US airlines operating in the US to have a competition amongst themselves?
American - Delta - Southwest - Frontier - United, to name a few?
I'm writing what follows without abbreviations / acronyms as you said they were throwing you in some cases.

There are eleven serious airlines in the US, which you would think means serious competition. But it usually doesn't.

We have only three true network airlines in the US that operate multiple hubs, service to all principal cities, plus international long-haul routes: United, Delta, and American. But even these three compete head-to-head in only a few markets. Enter a random US city pair in Kayak and you are likely to see just one or two of them offering nonstop service. Some small stations are served by only one airline exploiting a monopoly.

(Furthermore, one or another of the three network carriers have claimed most top US cities as sole-airline fortress hubs: Delta owns Minneapolis and Atlanta; American owns Philadelphia, Miami, and Phoenix; United owns Houston; etc. Nonstop fares out of fortress hubs are usually artificially high because of lack of competition.)

We have four second-tier carriers in the US -- JetBlue, strong in the northeast; Frontier, strong in Denver; Hawaiian, which has no routes within the continental US; and Alaska / Virgin America, strong in the Northwest and California. But their route maps are limited, and impact the network carriers' fares only where they overlap. If you're in Chicago, JetBlue cannot take you anywhere west of there, and Alaska cannot take you anywhere south or east of there. Frontier's system omits major cities like Boston. In fact, when you're starting from most US airports, the second-tier carriers have limited utility or are simply not there.

We have three niche airlines -- Sun Country, Allegiant, and Spirit -- that offer low base fares and limited flights in some (usually leisure or secondary) markets, although add-on fees can blunt or even erase their price advantage. If you're a businessperson, or schedule is important, these airlines are not really competitive.

Finally we have Southwest which is really none of the above. Southwest flies to fewer cities than the network carriers, sometimes at bargain rates, often more expensively, and with no first class. But it has frequent, dependable, friendly service and no small regional jets. People think Southwest is the "cheap alternative," but it's not -- not predictably so.

The US market is subdivided, geographically and by service tier, so even though there are eleven airlines "competing," chances are only two, maybe three, will have reasonable utility on any given city pair. Traveling from Charlottesville, VA to Grand Forks, ND? You have to fly Delta. From Evansville, IN to Eugene, OR? American or Delta. The second-tier carriers that hold the big guys to heel on some major routes have no effect on pricing to smaller cities like this.

THAT is where the majors make their money: shaking down hostage customers.

The General Accounting Office has found the number of competing airlines on a given route is falling steadily, especially in cities with less traffic:

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-515

The simple 'fact' is that it is just collusion to keep prices up, because I won't believe for a second they all seem to raise or lower prices at seemingly the same time by happenstance.
It looks like collusion, and it has the practical effect of collusion, but it's just price-matching software working faster than human hands and eyes possibly could.

It's illegal for American and United to get on a WebEx call and agree to make the fare $700 on Chicago-O'Hare to New York-LaGuardia. It is perfectly legal for American's computers to observe a United fare change at 11:00:01 and make American's fares conform at 11:00:02.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
The joys of living in a city that serves as hub/focus city to three airlines.

DEN-LAX might be one of the most competitive markets in the country. UA, AA, DL, WN, F9 and NK all fly it nonstop. Rarely does a round trip cost more than $250 if you're at least a couple weeks out.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:51 pm

the prices are too high

Originally Posted by ajl1239
Perhaps a silly question, but we're at a point now where most trans-Atlantic trips from major U.S. cities -- purchased with a bit of foresight -- are under $500 RT. You can even fly from crazy places like Providence to Edinburgh, Scotland one-way for $109 with little advance planning.

At the same time, U.S. carriers still charge insane last-minute fares from say NYC to Atlanta, let alone NYC to LAX or SFO.

I guess my question: given how cheap international travel is (even with the extra fees and taxes added into the equation), how much longer can U.S. carriers justify their insane domestic pricing? At what point will they have to cut prices nearly in half to bring them closer to intra-EU/Schengen flights?
its a big rip off the american way with all even phone service europe is 29 a month for phone not enough plane lines to lower prices

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.