Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How much longer can U.S. carriers justify insane domestic prices?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much longer can U.S. carriers justify insane domestic prices?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:27 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The short answer: As long as people keep paying for them.
fatmenace likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by ajl1239
I guess my question: given how cheap international travel is (even with the extra fees and taxes added into the equation), how much longer can U.S. carriers justify their insane domestic pricing?
Indefinitely.

At what point will they have to cut prices nearly in half to bring them closer to intra-EU/Schengen flights?
Never.

They may have to cut prices for other reasons. But the price of flights within Europe or between the USA and Europe has absolutely nothing to do with the price of flights within the USA.

If I have to go to Cedar Rapids, Iowa on business or Spokane to visit family, flying to Germany is not an acceptable substitute despite the fact that it might be a lot cheaper.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
There's also Ryanair and other ULCCs helping to push down prices for intra-EU travel. A possibly better comparison here would be between Spirit/Frontier and said European ULCCs.
+1
I read an article a few years back that stated that USA airline pricing would drop by an average of 17% IF foreign carriers were allowed to transport passengers from point to point within the USA.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bigbuy
+1
I read an article a few years back that stated that USA airline pricing would drop by an average of 17% IF foreign carriers were allowed to transport passengers from point to point within the USA.
I could see US domestic airfares falling by at least 5%-10% if even just Mexican carriers were allowed to provide US domestic flight service. But the US labor lobby, the US airline industry lobby and the xenophobia-selling industry would kill that effort before such market liberalization could yield any fruits. And due to a Chicago Convention, if we allowed this kind of thing to Mexico and/or Canada, then we would have to remove the cabotage restrictions for others too. I'd welcome it, but there would be the pitchfork and torch crowd running around Congress (and their office buildings) to kill this off very quickly.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Why does any private service provider (outside of a public utility) have to "justify" its pricing? You're seeing the market at work -- in this case a limited-competition oligopoly.

And what does EU/Schengen pricing have to do with the domestic US?

If US traffic dries up, either prices will drop or (more likely) there will be yet more capacity restraint.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
Why does any private service provider (outside of a public utility) have to "justify" its pricing? You're seeing the market at work -- in this case a limited-competition oligopoly.

If US traffic dries up, either prices will drop or (more likely) there will be yet more capacity restraint.
Indeed. The problem is the government's enabling of a limited-competition oligopoly and of consumers not getting the government to be a friend of the consumer.
fatmenace likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Perhaps a silly question, but we're at a point now where most trans-Atlantic trips from major U.S. cities -- purchased with a bit of foresight -- are under $500 RT. You can even fly from crazy places like Providence to Edinburgh, Scotland one-way for $109 with little advance planning.

At the same time, U.S. carriers still charge insane last-minute fares from say NYC to Atlanta, let alone NYC to LAX or SFO.

I guess my question: given how cheap international travel is (even with the extra fees and taxes added into the equation), how much longer can U.S. carriers justify their insane domestic pricing? At what point will they have to cut prices nearly in half to bring them closer to intra-EU/Schengen flights?
Would like to see more facts.

Can we derive some conclusions from this data:
http://airlines.org/data/

Providence to Edinburgh for USD109 - can that possibly be profitable for any airline operator. I assume AirAsia X must have the lowest CASK in the world or close to it - would they be able to make money?

BTW, I reckon I can guess the operator of the Providence to Edinburgh route - so here's a starting point:
https://www.norwegian.com/en/about/c...presentations/
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:09 pm

Perhaps a silly question, but we're at a point now where most trans-Atlantic trips from major U.S. cities -- purchased with a bit of foresight -- are under $500 RT. You can even fly from crazy places like Providence to Edinburgh, Scotland one-way for $109 with little advance planning.

At the same time, U.S. carriers still charge insane last-minute fares from say NYC to Atlanta, let alone NYC to LAX or SFO.

I guess my question: given how cheap international travel is (even with the extra fees and taxes added into the equation), how much longer can U.S. carriers justify their insane domestic pricing? At what point will they have to cut prices nearly in half to bring them closer to intra-EU/Schengen flights?
When will it stop?

Like EVERYTHING else, when the demand slows down.
It's called 'supply and demand'.

I used to fly on a 727 from LAX to DFW all the time in the 80's with
less than 20 passengers, but not anymore.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:21 pm

Please show me or tell me where I can find ANY flights to:
London, Prague, Vienna, Rome or Greece for anything even remotely close to $500, let alone $109.
(or any city even close to those)
Hell, I'd even settle for near $1,000.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fredman
London, Prague, Vienna, Rome or Greece for anything even remotely close to $500, let alone $109.
I saw some LAX to LHR flights for $600ish R/T in economy recently (late October departure, early November return). Meanwhile, the direct SAN-LHR flight by BA was double that price for the same dates.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just wish Canadian flights were cheaper, It's often cheaper to fly to London (UK) than it is other Canadian cities.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220

I think the EU comparison is fair as you are comparing two markets with people who have similar spending power and where staff and other costs are similar(ruling out those as factors). Distances are a bit less in Europe but I really don't think that is one of the main reasons for the difference.

Europe only became cheap for air travel when the EU made strong efforts to de-regulate the market/industry. From what I have read, the Mexican government took similar steps in Mexico. Same in SE Asia.

Many people are saying that the US airlines are just charging what people will pay - of course no one is arguing that they should not charge whatever people will pay - the bigger question is what can be done to entice more competition and/or liberalise the market so that prices come down. As Spirit and Frontier grow, it will hopefully help too.

It happened in the EU and I believe it could happen in the US. The OP's question is a reasonable one.

There is absolutely no question in my mind that mile for mile, flights are much cheaper in Europe than the US or (especially) Canada. Canada has to be one of the most expensive air markets in the world..

Last edited by Enigma368; Sep 16, 2017 at 4:59 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Mexican carriers have a different market reality than US carriers. The average income level of those who are realistically in the market to travel by air within Mexico is considerably lower than for those who are in the market to fly in the US. .
I think income levels or even staff costs have very little to do with this. In Central America e.g. Guatemala/Panama/Hondurus, where average income levels are much lower than Mexico, flights are way way more expensive than Mexico, and usually even more expensive than the US.

The difference is to do with market liberation allowing low cost airlines to provide competition. The Mexican govt took steps to allow this to happen in the 90s. I believe Colombia is starting to do the same in their country.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
It seems pretty simple to me.

If the airplanes are full, which they are, then the fares are not too high.

Fares will go down when demand drops or supply increases.

Competition leads to lower prices because competition increases supply.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by fredman
https://www.kayak.com/explore/NYC

https://www.kayak.com/explore/LAX

(or use google.com/flight 's explore function). of course, a lot of the cheap flights are LCC, which aren't as prevalent for domestic flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.