Wiki Posts
Search

Do you keep track of your airports?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, American, Norwegian, Southwest, Frontier, Bonvoy
Do you keep track of your airports?

Anyone besides me keep a list of the airports you've traveled through?

At some point (probably around the time I retired and had time on my hands) I decided to make a list of all the airports I’ve traversed as a passenger. Since I didn’t travel that much in my younger days, I was able to recreate a historical list and since then I’ve added to it.

The list includes all 6 flyable continents (I have been to Antarctica, but by ship), and almost all major U.S. airports. (Of the top 20 US busiest, I’ve missed just 3 - Las Vegas, SEATAC, and Orlando).

I included (though maybe I shouldn’t) several where the plane stopped but I didn’t deplane - (Baton Rouge, Cleveland, Monrovia, Maui, Oakland, Pueblo CO).

I didn’t include recreational flights that weren’t based on an actual airport property (Queenstown NZ, Talkeetna AK, Homer AK)

The smallest airport? Kruger National Park, South Africa. The terminal was about the size of my living room.

My current total is 109 and I will add 2 more (Athens, Omaha) this year.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
You may want to check out some of the websites that cater to preserving that kind of data. Flight memory is one of them but there are others.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I think I'm at 54, but might be missing some.

Edit: Forgot Hawai'i. And Japan. At least 60 then. Can't remember how many airports in Hawai'i thought.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: *G
i have a broad awareness of where ive been or flown through, but i dont obsessively track airports, aircrafts, mileage, and other stuff that some aviation fanatics have
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
There are multiple threads on this topic.
If you search "most airports visited" you find, among them:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-you-been.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-visited.html
From 2004 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...s-visited.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...orts-year.html
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: gate lice
On www.gcmap.com you can create a map of all routes and airports you've flown through, and then it tells you the number of miles you've traveled.

So input all your flights in this format: "Xxx-yyy-xxx-zzz-yyy" and then press "map". Note this won't work if you happen to arrive at one airport and then depart at another, in which case you should enter your queries separately.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
FlightMemory yields similar results. My FM data is complete 2000-2017, somewhat spotty before that. 87 airports. They'll sell you a wall map of your traveled routes also.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:07 am

FlightMemory is, however, pretty terrible website-wise and seems to exist mostly to sell you posters. If posters don't interest you, FlightRadar24 has a better service called My FlightRadar24 (which used to be flightdiary): http://my.flightradar24.com
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:12 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leungy18
On www.gcmap.com you can create a map of all routes and airports you've flown through, and then it tells you the number of miles you've traveled.

So input all your flights in this format: "Xxx-yyy-xxx-zzz-yyy" and then press "map". Note this won't work if you happen to arrive at one airport and then depart at another, in which case you should enter your queries separately.
Drifting a bit off topic, but you can break up a "trip" on gcmap. Just put in a comma. So if you do something like JFK-DXB-JFK and then your next flight was LGA-RDU-LGA you can just put it in as:
JFK-DXB-JFK,LGA-RDG-LGA and it will map correctly,
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Only to the extent that I will actively avoid certain ones. DEN for example..I will fly to COS when I can just to avoid DEN, even if I have business in Denver. It's a 45 minute drive from Co Springs to Denver..but then it's about the same from DEN to downtown anyway. DEN shouldn't be properly called Denver Airport, not being in Denver after all.

I avoid MCO like the plague..because with all those kids and families running around I feel like I might actually catch the plague. The Kettle level at MCO is off the charts. The musical chairs with seating, the hundreds of family pre-boards per flight, the screaming babies. I fly to TPA and drive.

I also favor secondary airports whenever possible. MDW instead of ORD, SNA or BUR instead of LAX. The exception is LGW...I would rather be at LHR! LGW is a high pressure filth-hole.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CyBeR
FlightMemory is, however, pretty terrible website-wise and seems to exist mostly to sell you posters. If posters don't interest you, FlightRadar24 has a better service called My FlightRadar24 (which used to be flightdiary): http://my.flightradar24.com
it's gonna take a LOOOOOOOONG time to manually enter 2500+ flights
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
You can import into MFR24 (either from an MFR24 export or OpenFlights), but another reason flightmemory is so terrible is that it doesn't have any way to export your data.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
...and how am I supposed to remember all the dates!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I have my own Excel spreadsheet (which I laboriously input from a paper log about 6 years ago, but even then the quantity was ~2100)
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Gold
In twenty years..

Total Airports: 174
Total Airlines: 73
Total Aircraft types: 75
Total Routes: 582
Total Countries: 34

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.