Reload this Page >

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 1:14 pm

"And yes, they have a dress code that calls for a jacket. She's wearing a t-shirt and he's dressed like a slob with his shirt outside his pants and in need of an ironing. I suspect even if they had not been wearing shoes, they would have been served. What do you think?"

I think the owner is reasonably willing to bend the rules for celebrities who can bring him six-figures worth of advertising and a lot of good word of mouth. What I don't think is that what applies to some of Hollywood's most famous celebrities would ever apply to ordinary people, even rich or powerful ordinary people.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I haven't read this entire thread but here's my reason for packing as lightly as possible: it's one of my Immutable Laws of Travel that at some point you will have to schlep all your stuff yourself- no one around you can pay to do it. It will probably be up a steep flight of stairs. I've had to bring my big, heavy bag on business trips that included Bangalore, plus London or Zurich in winter, but just managed 3 weeks in India and Kathmandu with a bag that could have been carry-on for most flights. There were size and weight standards we had to meet for flights within India, and steamer trunks weren't permitted. There were dinners in some nice places but I had no problem including appropriate clothes- including a couple of salwar kameezes (the local tunic outfits) that I bought on arrival.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
"And yes, they have a dress code that calls for a jacket. She's wearing a t-shirt and he's dressed like a slob with his shirt outside his pants and in need of an ironing. I suspect even if they had not been wearing shoes, they would have been served. What do you think?"

I think the owner is reasonably willing to bend the rules for celebrities who can bring him six-figures worth of advertising and a lot of good word of mouth. What I don't think is that what applies to some of Hollywood's most famous celebrities would ever apply to ordinary people, even rich or powerful ordinary people.
Some people are celebrities in their own mind!
Old May 31, 2018, 5:09 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I pack what is "right" for me. I'd say there is some merit for roadwarriors to go the minimal route. With APAC/GlobalEntry I'm usually in my ride before most priority guys have their luggage, for some that isn't a big deal, but for me those 30' are worth it. I can see others that the cost of time/weight and such is balanced by having stuff and flexibility, but that is fine too.

I used to help / suggest for my kids, but once they reached around 10 or so I'd take a quick look and make sure they weren't doing shorts and no jacket for winter and all longsleeves / pants for some Hawaii, funny I never had to fix anything, they seemed to get it. As to the CEO, didn't touch it, LOL.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
I wouldn't say it's an obsession. There's simply no utility in lugging around more crap than you need. I find that no matter how much I cut down my packing, I always end up coming up with clean clothes I didn't wear.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
I bring what I need but my standard is a carry-on size rolling bag and an overnight bag. I pack a tote and a purse in there because I'll likely check both larger bags on the return. I pack for flexibility above all.

Granted, I've moved countries several times without shipping anything and maxed out my allotted checked and carry-on allowances so that can be a significant amount of stuff. And I've actually managed it myself from point A to point B (not easily, mind you - but with a plan).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If I can get away with it (like on a road trip with lots of room in the car), I'll take way more stuff than I really need, because I can afford to be lazy and not so organized.
Oh, man, these are the worst. My kids are reasonably decent about spending 2 weeks in Europe living out of one bag each.

But damn, a weekend roadie to Minnesota results in a minivan that is packed to the gills. All of a sudden the 3-foot-long plush bear is *required* because a kid simply can't sleep without it. And yeah, I suppose I might also bring my golf clubs, just in case...
AStarr likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:46 am
Suspended

The point was Calliopeflyer that dress codes are not 'fixed' as in an inviolable law. They are arbitrary and imposed or not imposed as the restaurant chooses to impose them. I agree they will bend the rules for celebrities but not for others. Now tell me why that should be the case? Discrimination works both ways. Discriminating in favour of a celebrity is no different than discriminating against 'ordinary people'. Why would anyone want to give their money to a business that discriminates either way?

But in terms of packing light, whether you choose to patronize a restaurant with a dress code or not has no real impact on your ability to pack light and that is what some people are trying to suggest, that because they choose to meet an arbitrary dress code, they can't pack light. Nonsense.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I wouldn't say it's an obsession. There's simply no utility in lugging around more crap than you need. I find that no matter how much I cut down my packing, I always end up coming up with clean clothes I didn't wear.

Those opposed to hearing about packing light GetJetSet, find excuses to justify their not doing so, they aren't interested in arguing the logic of why it is better to pack light. That would require them to try and justify packing heavier than they need to. No one is going to respond, 'of course there is utility in lugging around more [stuff] than you need.' That obviously can't be justified, so they attempt to make the rebuttal about something else. Like it only applies if you want to travel carry-on only or time spent at a carousel or needing to meet a dress code or suggesting that wanting to pack light is an 'obsession', etc.

There is no logical argument anyone can present against trying to pack as little weight as possible.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Jun 1, 2018 at 7:31 pm Reason: removed vulgarity
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Regardless of whether or not I'm obsessed with packing light, I can say with certainty that I'm not obsessed with worrying about whether other people approve of my packing style.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
There is no logical argument anyone can present against trying to pack as little weight as possible.
But why would they try? You won’t accept anyone else’s opinion. People pack the way they prefer, as do you. There’s no right or wrong, except in your weird world.
deniah and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Oh, man, these are the worst. My kids are reasonably decent about spending 2 weeks in Europe living out of one bag each.

But damn, a weekend roadie to Minnesota results in a minivan that is packed to the gills. All of a sudden the 3-foot-long plush bear is *required* because a kid simply can't sleep without it. And yeah, I suppose I might also bring my golf clubs, just in case...
I get so excited if I'm going by car somewhere these days. I'll get to wash my hair with my own shampoo and conditioner because the big bottles are coming with me. Roadtrips somehow mean that all of my amazing packing skills just go out the window these days. It's kind of like heaven? Haha. I travel alone most of the time when I'm flying and just hate carrying stuff.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:54 pm

Mom rant:

My kids, husband, and mom all pack light. To a person they are so proud of how little they bring with them. They look at me like I am a diva when I have 5 pounds more of stuff than they do.

They are optimists. I am an experienced realist.

By the end of the trip my mom will have worn my cardigan for 12 of the 15 days. My husband's feet will be killing him because he only "needs" one pair of shoes and almost always picks out the pair that don't fit well. (Hmm, who carries the bandaids and antibiotic ointment?) One kid only brought half a small tube of sunscreen. The other purchases a large woolen sweater but then has no room for it. Husband purchases local weaving. Flights are delayed and everyone buys books.

I would like to stop enabling them but I really don't want to spend my vacation time waiting while they try to ameliorate their problems or listening to them moan about the cold/blisters/sunburn.

It is amazing how much less I have to carry when I am going it alone.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:00 am

I always laugh when posters claim logic to arguments which are personal foibles and have nothing at all to do with logic.
wrp96 and Badenoch like this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm not sure what 'logic' you are following, but it is illogical of you to assume that everyone prefers to carry less than more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.