Reload this Page >

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
I do not pack light and likely never will.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I'm probably at the extreme on this, but I leave stuff in various locations so I can go pretty much anywhere (currently on a 5 week trip) with just a small rucksack. It's a bit more expensive (e.g owning 40 pair of underwear,) but IMHO the benefit of never worrying about overhead space, changing flights, towing a bag or losing/waiting for luggage etc. makes it worth it.

I think a lot depends on the person though. Some people feel more comfortable traveling with more stuff; others are more minimalist.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 5khours
I'm probably at the extreme on this, but I leave stuff in various locations so I can go pretty much anywhere (currently on a 5 week trip) with just a small rucksack.
Not extreme... I know many people who do this more or less the same as you. Myself included, but only when I had a set list of locations to fly to/from. When it became more random, this was much more difficult to pull off..

Originally Posted by 5khours
I think a lot depends on the person though. Some people feel more comfortable traveling with more stuff; others are more minimalist.
As evidenced in this thread! To each their own.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting thread to follow. I've also experienced the snobbery of those who think if you check a bag, you're somehow a lower form of life. But at this point of my life, I've learned how to let that stuff roll off my back. For me, it really depends on the situation. For business trips, I travel the night before I need to be there, so waiting for a bag is no issue. I pack enough clothes for every day (different shirt each day, 2 days per pair of pants), with one extra set of underwear, in case I experience any travel delays. I use a rental car, so no issue having room for my checked bag. I do sometimes return home with unused clothing. Not a problem!

For personal travel, it really depends on the situation. When I've gone on cruises, I over-pack. I always have what I need (including tuxedo for formal nights). I have a card that gives me two free bags, so fees aren't a concern. But there are times when I have to be more careful. A number of years ago I took my family on vacation to Japan for 2 weeks. We took only carry-on and backpack. This was important, as we did a lot of travel by train and bus, where big bags just wouldn't have worked. We did have to do laundry, but we survived.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:02 pm

I think a very big point is how many outfit changes you have to do during your trip and how big they pack, plus how long you travel and if you can wash, send stuff to cleaning or something. Any kind of sports gear can add up very fast especially if you can't wash and dry stuff you might need more than you think.
A few years back I went to England for three days for a wedding and just barely managed not to add check in luggage (at cost ad I was flying Ryanair). Why? Well I went to a wedding with a phantom of the opera themed masquerade ball in winter.so I needed two full dress up outfits, One of them a full skirted ball gown. Plus regular winter clothing, toiletries and makeup it was very tight. In a couple of weeks I fly to another wedding staying five nights again with two events - though this time spread over two days. Two dress up outfits again no ball gown though. I'll easily fit everything in my carry on though dealing with the fluid rules I'm looking for insect repellent in a less than 100ml container.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.