Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm not obsessed travelling light. My husband and I went to Canada from Sydney with 4 suitcases totalling 126 kilos
Old May 29, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
My brother routinely would not pack socks or underwear on vacations because he would hit a local Target (or local equivalent) to pick up cheap ones, which he would leave behind. He said it allowed him to check carry on only, which saved him time and money, over something he cared little about (the quality of his underwear and socks on vacation).
I started doing this a few years ago as well. Works for me, but might not for others.

General commentary:
But when it comes down to it, not sure why there is a big deal for those who pack heavy vs light... I pack how I pack and someone else packs how they pack. Like, who cares! This thread has now turned into reverse shaming of those who pack light. It's a bit of a farce. Let the light packers pack as they wish, and let the heavy packers pack as they wish.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
But when it comes down to it, not sure why there is a big deal for those who pack heavy vs light... I pack how I pack and someone else packs how they pack. Like, who cares! This thread has now turned into reverse shaming of those who pack light. It's a bit of a farce. Let the light packers pack as they wish, and let the heavy packers pack as they wish.
It may be due to the all too common righteous attitude of the "carry on only" squad. Same as the "how dare you stand still on the moving walkway" squad and the "why haven't you got your belt and shoes off 5 minutes before you join the security queue" squad. Up to them but don't try and ram it down my throat. I'm glad to see it's being reversed.

PS. When it suits what I'm doing I do travel with only a carry on. If I stand still on a moving walkway I stand to one side and I do prepare for security as much as possible.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
*Clothing:*

*3 wicking T-shirts* Columbia Omni-Wick. 2 short sleeve and one long sleeve. I may try one of Columbia’s new Omni-Freeze instead of the standard Omni-Wick I’m used to.

*2 long sleeve shirts* Royal Robbins Expedition Light. Light weight, wicking, UV protection, low wrinkle and smart enough looking for anywhere.

*3 pair pants* North Face Paramount Peak. These are convertible to shorts (zip-off legs) and easy to wash and dry overnight.

*1 rain jacket* North Face Venture. Packable into one of it’s own pockets. Edit: this jacket weighs 14 ozs. And I am now looking at changing to a Marmot Micra which weighs 7 ozs. That will save nearly half a pound!

*1 down vest* Ralph Lauren. A lightweight down vest that can pack into it’s own pocket. Don’t ask, it was a gift but I have to say at least it doesn’t have a big RL logo on it anywhere.

*3 pr. Underwear* Icebreaker 150 merino wool. Keep you cool, don’t smell, feel great and dry quite quickly.

*3 pr. Socks* Rohner original merino wool medium weight. I’ve worn this brand for many years. Arguably the best hiking sock made.

*1 pr. Hiking boots* New Balance H710 Very light, breathable and fit like my skin. These were the first light weight hiking boots made. In 1984, Lou Whittaker wore one of the first pair to the top of the North Col of Mt. Everest. They’ll take you anywhere you are likely to go.
Haha...Is this the 'assistant professor at a rural community college' look? Is it a requirement to wear a Tilley hat and have a full beard as well?
follonica2, Statman and 84fiero like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm not obsessed travelling light. My husband and I went to Canada from Sydney with 4 suitcases totalling 126 kilos
Crikey!!!

I've been trying to take as little as possible lately. Every time I pack , I think, do I really need to take this or that? And I can't remember the last time we checked a bag.

I went on a 14 day tour of Greece in 2003 with a group (never again), but there was this young woman in her 20's travelling with her grandmother that I spent a lot of time with. She explained how she researched the art of packing and mixing and matching clothing. She only had one small roller bag and yet every time we sat down for dinner together, she appeared to be wearing something different and she always looked great. I was completely impressed.

I pack light because I'm lazy.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My brother routinely would not pack socks or underwear on vacations because he would hit a local Target (or local equivalent) to pick up cheap ones, which he would leave behind. He said it allowed him to check carry on only, which saved him time and money, over something he cared little about (the quality of his underwear and socks on vacation).
How much time does it actually save him at the destination? The few minutes at the carousel would be less than the time to find, go to, shop and return from a local discount store. Any saving on checked baggage fees would be mitigated by the cost of getting to the store and buying the new articles.

I'm a fan of packing light but not the point where I have to amend my vacation plans because I don't want to check a bag.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

I went on a 14 day tour of Greece in 2003 with a group (never again), but there was this young woman in her 20's travelling with her grandmother that I spent a lot of time with. She explained how she researched the art of packing and mixing and matching clothing. She only had one small roller bag and yet every time we sat down for dinner together, she appeared to be wearing something different and she always looked great. I was completely impressed.

I pack light because I'm lazy.[/QUOTE]

Some people get it and some don't tmorse. The young woman who impressed you obviously 'got it' completely. She could still look 'great' by packing smart and not having to pack 'heavy'.

Some go on about all you save is a few minutes at the carousel as if that was a complete rebuttal of any reason to pack light. As I have written here already, I always check my bag simply because of what I choose to take that is not allowed in carry-on. I don't save time at the carousel but my wife and I do not have to lift 4 suitcases weighing 126kg(277 lbs.) up the steps onto a train and manhandle them down the aisle to our seats. Duhhh, might that be a reason for someone to want to pack lighter? Not all travel is done by taxi to a hotel.

We have a favourite little boutique hotel in Switzerland we love to stay at. There are only 21 rooms but they are spread over 2 upper floors. The hotel was built in 1873 and there are no elevators. You CARRY your bag up to the third floor if that is the floor your room is on. I'm picturing carrying 4 bags weighing 277 lbs. up those stairs. Hilarious image. Might that be a reason to pack light?

Some here seem to think the issue is about the 'carry-on only squad' vs. checking a bag. They choose to ignore it is about the advantages of travelling LIGHT vs. heavy. I for one am not advocating travelling carry-on only, I am advocating travelling light. I've yet to see anyone attempt to actually argue the advantages of travelling heavy rather than light. You get a better work out from carrying heavy bags?

Some here seem to have a hang up about restaurants with 'strict' dress codes and think they can tie that to somehow being an issue if you travel light. First of all, you can travel light and still carry a shirt with a collar and a tie if that is what you want to do. Travelling light does not in any way mean you cannot meet any dress code you wish to meet. I'd like to see a specific example of just how that is a problem. Frankly, I personally consider such places an anachronism and am not interested in them at all. I can't remember the last time I wore a tie to suit someone else's idea of what I should wear to dinner. But if I wanted to, I could do so and still travel light. The 'dress code' argument is a dog that won't hunt.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Badenoch
There is no particular virtue in not checking bags. The minutes saved not waiting by the carousel are balanced out by hoping the underwear hanging on the shower rod is sufficiently dry after spending the previous evening hunched over a bathroom sink scrubbing it or paying the eye-popping prices of hotel laundry.
I have a similar view. I pack in a way to optimize my time, cost, effort, and risk while traveling. If I can make reasonable tradeoffs to avoid checking a bag I will, because checking a bag carries more risk (of loss/delay), effort (to lug the bag around, especially on a busy itinerary), time (checking and claiming the bag), and possibly cost as well. For example, on some longer trips I know I'll have access to laundry facilities AND spare time to use them, so I carry fewer sets of clothes to avoid a checked bag. But if not checking a bag means I have to purchase pricey or inferior items at my destination, or do without an item I believe I'll need, or spend significant time or money washing too-few changes of clothes, then I absolutely will check a bag and bring what I need.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Some here seem to have a hang up about restaurants with 'strict' dress codes and think they can tie that to somehow being an issue if you travel light. First of all, you can travel light and still carry a shirt with a collar and a tie if that is what you want to do. Travelling light does not in any way mean you cannot meet any dress code you wish to meet. I'd like to see a specific example of just how that is a problem. Frankly, I personally consider such places an anachronism and am not interested in them at all. I can't remember the last time I wore a tie to suit someone else's idea of what I should wear to dinner. But if I wanted to, I could do so and still travel light. The 'dress code' argument is a dog that won't hunt.
It's not that anyone has a hang up, just that you asserted that there are no minimum dress codes in any establishments and implied that a t-shirt would always suffice.

It always amuses me how some people think you have to dress a certain way in more 'upscale establishments'. Here's a tip for you deniah, it isn't what you wear that matters it's the image you project regardlass of what you are wearing. That is something that I cannot help you or your wife learn how to do.

There is no 'minimum acceptable' other than 'no shoes, no shirt, no service' deniah. The only other 'minimum acceptable' is in your own mind, not the establishment you chose to visit. I realize not everyone can carry off 'class' in a simple t-shirt deniah, but some can, including my wfie.
[emphasis added]

You're just moving the goalposts after your claims were called out as incorrect. (And dress codes are often about components other than a tie.)
Statman, deniah and Eltham like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Caution: We love a spirited debate, but please be cautious of tit for tat commentary. You all know the rules: Don't get personal, debate the idea not the poster, etc. Send us a post report (by using the little red exclamation point on the bottom left corner of every post on FT) if you feel someone has crossed the line.
This thread will not relocate to OMNI, so let's let it live here, ok?
Old May 30, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
How much time does it actually save him at the destination? .
Oh, I'm not saying I think he was right, but it's just another point of view. He was a road warrior flyer for a couple of decades, so maybe he just got used to it (not checking) from quick business trips. Me? I always take my own underwear and socks. And I think airlines should be charging for carry on bags and checking bags for free, rather than the other way around.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:24 pm

I pack light because I'm lazy.

Some people get it and some don't tmorse. The young woman who impressed you obviously 'got it' completely. She could still look 'great' by packing smart and not having to pack 'heavy'..[/QUOTE]
Ah, there's the righteousness again. I think everyone "gets it" and knows exactly what you're talking about -- it's just that not everyone who "gets it," agrees with it.

I'm more likely to pack heavy when I'm lazy -- packing light requires a lot more planning and organizing. If I can get away with it (like on a road trip with lots of room in the car), I'll take way more stuff than I really need, because I can afford to be lazy and not so organized.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

OK 84feiro, if you want to stick to the words as written (rather than their intent) I did indeed say there is no minimum dress codes. Mea culpa.

However, if you want to discuss dress codes, then why don't we stick to what matters in terms of discussing travel and dress codes. The reality is that the vast majority of restaurants today, as a percentage have no dress code other than the ubiquitous 'no shoes, no shirt, no service minimum. For the few that do have a dress code that requires more than that, the choice when travelling is easy, either ignore those places and go elsewhere, or pack something to suit the code if you really want to visit that restaurant. Packing a jacket and tie for a man or a skirt (what kind of standard restrictions do you run into for a woman's dress code anyway) if necessary has no real effect on whether or not someone can pack light.

Personally, I am not interested in eating in any restaurant that requires a jacket (tie requirements are even less common) in this day and age. It's just an old fashioned idea that should have died an honourable death long ago. Fashion today no longer supports 'dressing up'. If anything, fashion today supports 'dressing down'. So I would suggest to you that a restaurant with a dress code that requires a man to wear a jacket, appeals and is applicable only to those people (travellers) who want to stick to that old fashioned idea.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-d...b_4563774.html

Unfortunately, dress codes are also used quite often to discriminate against people and for that reason, I for one advocate boycotting anywhere that has a dress code.
https://thetakeout.com/the-problem-w...-ex-1821622984

They'll let the 'right people' in and ignore their dress code to do so, but apply that dress code to what they consider the 'wrong kind' of people, to keep them out. What dress code do you think applies to this couple?

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; May 31, 2018 at 6:08 pm Reason: Moot after edit of previous post
Old May 31, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I'm more likely to pack heavy when I'm lazy -- packing light requires a lot more planning and organizing. If I can get away with it (like on a road trip with lots of room in the car), I'll take way more stuff than I really need, because I can afford to be lazy and not so organized.
LOL. I was packing for a weekend trip with my usual minimalist approach until it occurred to me I was driving so could take whatever the heck I wanted. So instead of taking only what I knew I would need I also packed what I might need, what I probably wouldn't need but should have just in case and a couple of things I definitely wouldn't need but took anyway because I had the room.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
My packing depends on the purpose of my trip, if I am a speaker obviously the clothes I pack are far different from when it is work on an active construction site, refinery, or other similar site. If it is not a speaking engagement then what I pack will also depend on how many tools I must take. Some test equipment must be checked, and when I do that I will more often than not, check my carry-on bag as well. On the other hand, I will often not check my carry-on because I want to tether my heavy backpack that holds all my electronics and work items. Having it on my roller bag makes it easy to tote around airports, hotels, etc. The only time I do not use my B&R carry-on is when we have gone on 7-day Cruises and book-ended the trip with a few extra days at the port city. It really does boil down to what you are comfy with, or where you are going (such as knowing you will be hauling everything up a few flights of stairs as one poster mentioned). There are great tips though, even for heavy packers on how to make it all fit or work well for you. I appreciate that.

Last edited by ctporter; May 31, 2018 at 11:15 am Reason: clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.