Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you get dirty sticker marks off your passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

My passport is only 3 years old but has already been accidentially thrown away twice (and retrieved) because it looks like a used dishcloth. It's not creased or battered but it is covered with layer upon layer of stickers slapped on there by border control officers and the like, and these pick up dirt over time. I once tried cleaning it off my last passport with solvent but it started to damage the outside of the passport.

Any ideas?
Old May 4, 2017, 4:48 am

I once used a tour/travel bureau to apply visa for a certain country, and they slapped my passport with countless stickers and even stapled here and there.

as you imagine when I tried to peel it off, there's always sticky trace of leftover glue. I eventually managed to clean it with eucalyptus oil. however it also removed a bit of prints on the passport cover/outer surface
Old May 4, 2017, 5:48 am

Brake cleaner

Aliphatic mineral solvents. Just a little goes a long way.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by roberino
Any ideas?
Stop throwing it away and don't blame your absentmindedness on some stickers on the booklet.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about putting it in a passport case?
Old May 4, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Either stop not recognizing your own passport and throwing it away, or take some more care not to leave it somewhere that anyone else has access to it, so they can make that mistake.

Where are you leaving such an important document that others have access to it when you're not there? Surely you don't just leave it on a nightstand with various scraps of paper, empty cans, etc., during the day at a hotel, do you?
Old May 4, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by emma69
How about putting it in a passport case?
That doesn't always work!

I have a cheap clear plastic cover on my passport, covered with security stickers, but the last couple times I flew, the agent removed the plastic cover and put the security sticker directly on the passport. New security initiative at some airports?
Old May 4, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Goo Gone worked for me. Test it first.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
That doesn't always work!

I have a cheap clear plastic cover on my passport, covered with security stickers, but the last couple times I flew, the agent removed the plastic cover and put the security sticker directly on the passport. New security initiative at some airports?
I have had both as well - but a leather case, with PASSPORT on the front, may stop people assuming it is garbage and throwing it away at least! Plus, in its case, I don't care that there are stickers (or sticker residue).
Old May 4, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I'm afraid to try it. I wouldn't have worried with my old passport - it was bent and rolled and broken in like an old shoe. This newer one seems to be made out of a really cheap cardboard product. I suspect it will dissolve if I ever get it wet like I did the old one. I'm afraid if the Goo Gone leaves even the slightest mark, someone eagle-eyed agent will accuse me of tampering with my passport or defacing it.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
+1

I use Goo Gone whenever I need to remove sticker/tape stains. On non-porous surfaces of course.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't use solvents or anything on my passport.

All it takes is one picky gate agent or border police type to suggest that you have tampered with the document or that it has been damaged and you are denied boarding or entry.

It's just a document. It doesn't have to look pretty. Keep it safe and secure. Don't throw it away and you will be fine.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
a dab of (original--blue) Dawn dish liquid (washing up soap) on a wet cotton ball can do wonders without damage. You could also give it a try with a Magic Eraser--I would try an outer corner first to make sure it doesn't damage.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:03 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
1. Use a hair dryer to warm up the label, which usually softens the adhesive to help it release when you peel the label off.

2. Use adhesive tape (scotch tape etc ) to help remove any of the remaining adhesive. Adhesives seem to stick to each other pretty well and aid in removal and cleanup of any residual.

DEN
Old May 5, 2017, 12:22 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

What are those stickers for, anyway? I take mine off immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.