Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you get dirty sticker marks off your passport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you get dirty sticker marks off your passport?

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
What are those stickers for, anyway? I take mine off immediately.
Supposed to indicate the PP was security checked.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by CPRich
Either stop not recognizing your own passport and throwing it away, or take some more care not to leave it somewhere that anyone else has access to it, so they can make that mistake.

Where are you leaving such an important document that others have access to it when you're not there? Surely you don't just leave it on a nightstand with various scraps of paper, empty cans, etc., during the day at a hotel, do you?
I'm just going to leave everyone with the thought that your nightstand is covered with empty cans...
Old May 5, 2017, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by emma69
How about putting it in a passport case?
Security insists on putting the sticker on the passport itself as the cover could be transferred to another passenger.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Ritz, etc.)
Why remove the stickers at all? Call me crazy, but the dirtier and more crunchy my passport looks, the happier I am I look at these scuff marks and stickers as battle wounds
Old May 5, 2017, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rossello321
Why remove the stickers at all? Call me crazy, but the dirtier and more crunchy my passport looks, the happier I am I look at these scuff marks and stickers as battle wounds
I have mild OCD and it drives me nuts to leave them on there.

(PS: I don't do the same with beer bottles )
Old May 5, 2017, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I scream at the security when I see them with the stickers and just tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.. like on my hand, shirt etc. Anywhere but my passport.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:33 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009L1WF...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It has a light solvent. Removes all the sticker adhesive once you peel the sticker. Wipe with a paper towel afterwards. The color of the cover shouldn't be affected.
Old May 5, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I scream at the security when I see them with the stickers and just tell them to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.. like on my hand, shirt etc. Anywhere but my passport.
Same here.
Old May 5, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roberino
Security insists on putting the sticker on the passport itself as the cover could be transferred to another passenger.
Some do, some don't - they aren't tamper proof so I guess you could, if you really wanted, pick it off and put it on another passport. I have them both on the passports, and on the passport cases (which I do peel off after a trip) depending on the airport and even the particular person dong the sticking.

The case helps prevent the passport being mislaid - I have two passports and therefore two cases in different colours, instantly obvious what they are. It also makes you care less about what the back cover of the passport looks like, since you don't see it when it is in the case.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Pro life tip:

When they put the sticker on, immediately peel it off at the corner about halfway. Leave it like that.

Pass through security/passport control.

Once you're done with that, peel the sticker all the way off and stick it back-assedly onto your boarding pass, or your e-ticket printout, or whatever. It won't leave any residue on your passport if it's only on for a short time.

Go to gate, board plane as normal.

I'm really anal, and I hate those little stickers. I always remove them immediately. In 20+ years of international travel, I've never had anyone ever question me about this. But on the off chance that someone does, you can just say it must not have been fastened correctly and it attached itself to the other thing instead.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Eucalyptus oil removes most sticky issues. I don't know about the US but it can certainly be purchased at Boots Pharmacies in the UK.
Old May 6, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
What are those stickers for, anyway? I take mine off immediately.
I don't recall the front of my passporr ever having stickers.
Old May 6, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just peel them off as soon as you board, they come off easily within a couple of hours.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Why would you want a brand-new looking passport? For me the more banged up the better....
Old May 7, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jimmy O's
Why would you want a brand-new looking passport? For me the more banged up the better....
The aforementioned mild OCD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.